Note to New Members ×

New Rad-Air Tanker Question - Bindings?

fishrising

What are the 200+ pound folks riding for plates on their new 2019/2020 Rad-Air Tankers (or anyone for that matter)?  F2?  Race?  RS?  Titanium?  Bomber?  TD1?  TD2?  TD3?  Catek?  OS1?  OS2?  Other?

Any issues with a particular plate on the new boards?  Guess I am really asking if the new tankers are having any structural / delam / insert type issues with any particular plate bindings.  I've got a new 186 enroute, and need to decide what binding to run on it.

PS: My circa 2003 187OS has Catek OS2s and my circa 2008 200 has Catek OS1s on it.  [KnockOnWood] And I haven’t had any issues at 6’7” 250lbs on either. [/KnockOnWood]

Thanks!

Edited by fishrising

I guess if you didn't break it with OS2, which late Chris Prior used to call "the board breakers", you'd be fine with anything. 

I rode my 192 with the Snowpros at first, then with Blax/RS later (which I prefer). After 10 years of bumps and jumps, it developed a small topsheet crack by the toe of the front binding. 

I'm just wondering if the new 2019/2020 construction is stronger or weaker than the older models.  I have a pair of newer F2 RSs I might put on it.  Thinking that binding will be softer/flexier than any Bomber or Catek binding I have floating around.  Or I'll pull the TD3s off my Axxess, since I never really ride that any more, and put them on the new Tanker.

Edited by fishrising

On 1/3/2020 at 1:41 PM, svr said:

@fishrising, I have seen many using the F2’s and even TD3s ( @P06781 lives them on his).

The new Standard build Tankers are a little bit stronger than the older ones and the Team Edition 201 is definitely stiff enough to handle them.

cheers,

sandy

So how well do they carve these days....im interested..but worried they are not torsionally stiff and twist like a noddle..wish they were metal..

Review?

@Shred Gruumer all of the line carve very well and are slightly torsionally stiffer than previous Tankers.

The Team Edition 201 is a whole different machine and is considerably stiffer both torsionally and longitudinally.

Bryan Sutherland and Jim McGrane have been putting the Team Edition 201 though some great use with plates (Bryan is using F2 Ti-stepins, and Jim is using TD3 stepins with yellow gaskets).

Since I am on a softboots only these days, I would defer to them for a hardboot review, but I have been doing a lot of variation testing on the entire lineup with Flux XV, Burton Genesis X, Flow NX2-CX, Flow NX2-GT, Jones Apollo, and Now O-drive bindings and I can say that my preferred setup is a stiffer Softboot (I am using Burton Driver Xs again as my Nidecker/Flow Talons are short) coupled with a medium-stiff to very stiff binding.

On the shorter Tankers a softer boot/binding combo works well and both the 171 and 181 are great freeride/freecarve all mountain boards but when you go to the 186, 201 and 201 Team Edition, I need a stiffer setup to work the boards how I want to ride (for reference I am 5’9” at roughly 220 lbs without gear, size 10.5 boot).

hope that helps,

cheers,

sandy

21 hours ago, svr said:

@Mr.E they are not truly rockered as the base is flat now with decambered tip and tail profiles.

What was the logic behind making the base flat, as oposed to a small camber? I find that kind of geometry incredibly dead and a kind of "unhinged" if that makes any sense... 

22 hours ago, svr said:

The Team Edition 201 is a whole different machine and is considerably stiffer both torsionally and longitudinally.

Good to know The stick goes both ways...uh wait did I say that out loud...doh..

So how loud is it?  Did they use any rubbers with it so it feels damp...  hate loud tingy glass sounding boards... (insert metal here)

Edited by Shred Gruumer

1 hour ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Good to know The stick goes both ways...uh wait did I say that out loud...doh..

So how loud is it?  Did they use any rubbers with it so it feels damp...  hate loud tingy glass sounding boards... (insert metal here)

@Shred Gruumer yes it is damp and I am also not a fan of the tingy sound.

Got it mounted up with TD3 SI.  In another post I asked about what the max extension of the toe bails are.  Put a set of F2 RS SI on my old 187, but not sure I’m going to even try them.  Hearing questionable things about that binding and my size/weight,  but they adjusted fine to my new 31.5 boots.  Now to see what I have in the parts bin for my older 200.  Had OS2s SI on it, without an issue for many seasons, but am now 2nd guessing that as well....

2535B183-C203-46C8-9CB9-B0213F1038DB.jpeg

Edited by fishrising
  • Like 1