Note to New Members ×

BEast 2019-20

WhiteHorse

Between Saturday and Sunday, the conditions were really different. Saturday was the better carving day, but Sunday had more coverage since they were making snow all day Saturday and earlier in the week. The groom was pretty soft on Sunday. Still tons of fun. 

Overall, the grooming is questionable and definitely not up to typical standards. The last few times I've been out Chief and Lower Flying Cloud has not been groomed, which is pretty disappointing. War Dance has had the same whale of ungroomed snow on it for the past three weekends.  I don't know what they're waiting for. 

Other steeper runs such as UMass, Grizzly, Minnie Dole, and Hemlock are groomed but very uneven with large rollers across the hill. Comp and Exhibition have been excellent as always.  

I can't wait for the grooming team to get back from Cancun. I hope they had a nice vacation. Lol! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WhiteHorse said:

I'm heading back to the BEast  this Saturday, 2/22.  Great weather is forecast. Come on out!

I'm planning to be out Saturday also. Probably Sunday too! 

19 hours ago, *Ace* said:

Might be looking at riding Friday...stars have to align for it to happen.

Unfortunately, I can't get there for Friday, but please post a report if you get out! 

• Like 1

Firmish snow, very carvey. Grooming was ok, maybe a little ridgey here and there. Upper chief has a good sequence of whale/rollers that's super fun if you can figure out the flow. Exhibition was best snow quality of the day. That lift is just too damn slow over there...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was out on Saturday and met up with Brian, Edwina, and friends. The conditions were a little on the softer side (especially Chief, UMass, and War Dance). Exhibition was in prime condition and where we hung out most of the day. Unfortunately, Hemlock had slalom gates on it all day and Comp was closed due to a race. The grooming on Chief is... weird. I'm not sure what's going on but two weeks in a row it wasn't even groomed. Although, Lift Line is being groomed regularly now. Not a trade-off I approve of. 

On 2/22/2020 at 5:28 AM, *Ace* said:

That lift is just too damn slow over there...

Yeah, it's painfully slow. Sometimes I find it's more worth while head back to the main lift, then use Riva Ridge to get back to Exhibition and avoid Outback. You'll get more runs in that way. 

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get back out on Sunday. Somehow I did something to aggravate a tendon  on my right (rear leg) just on the outside of my knee. I was in a bit of pain yesterday, but after resting and icing I'm pretty good today. Hopefully I'll back out this weekend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atom Ant said:

This coming weekend? Saturday?  Knee has kept me on the injured list for about 6 weeks but I tried it out today and it went okay-ish.  About 75%, but good enough.  Haven't been to the Beast this year.  Will be soft boots though.

Mike?

I’ll be out at Beast tomorrow (Sunday)! Come on out! 

Today was a pleasant surprise of both natural and machine made snow. It would have been a great day for softies or hardboots. Hemlock is back in carving form! UMass was very nice! Upper and Lower Comp had snow guns blazing all day so not so carvey but after it gets groomed tonight it may be super yummy tomorrow! 

Sorry to hear about the knee. If you’re up for it I’ll be out tomorrow. 

• 7 months later...

Excited about BEAST opening! Called them about covid they said aside from obvious mask requirements - folks will need to change in their cars. And lodge access will require reservations most likely to limit amount of folks in lodge. 

Looking forward to meeting hardbooters on beast this season! Just starting out on hardboots 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...