Note to New Members ×

Buckhill 2019/20

bobble

2/4/20

went at noon.

high school races. I had to park for away. bottom of milkrun was tents.

crossroads was rough. snow was scraped down to the ice.  I couldn't hold anything. however, it might be fun on softboots to get that surfy feel.

olympic had cord but it was hard and unforgiving. big  _ w i d e _ turns. chattered and fell twice. a few bumps.

both chairlifts have glare ice from skiers skidding into the line. might be fun to set up a webcam in lift line to capture the beer leaguers plowing into each other... you know... for posterity... or something.

2/9/20

powder day! not sure official total but our driveway had 5-6 inches.

took one run on skis. i didn't feel comfortable. went back to my car and changed to board. rode till 11:30am. first hour the runs were great. sailor chute was off-limits but i would make turns into the upper part where the snow drifted. 

got a little bumpy towards the end.

d-team was racing on warners. mr. spinny (the big short-board guy) decided to ride the trees along olympic and warners. he ended up down onto the course. one of the coaches yelled at him. there might have been a kid racing down. if so, then the guy passed through the timing sensor.  as much as i admire mr. spinny for doing that thing that he does, he's a little daft. 

ran into kent, "damn snowboaders". he was on skis. kent, when conditions are better, bring your board. make buck hill great again!

• Like 1

2/10/20

rode at lunch break.

snow was slow. couple times the board dug too deep and I slowed to a stop.

otherwise....

END THE MOGULIST OCCUPATION NOW!

when you see it!

saw buck's instagram. in case they delete the post shown above, they show a photo of the chalet windows. people are commenting that you can see a swastika. its hard not to notice. they've already deleted a few comments.

• Haha 1

2/11/20

over lunch... snow was better than yesterday. still soft but not digging in like yesterday. almost hero if it weren't for the slow.

met a skier who talked about Snowcrest in Wisconsin. apparently its reopening. It's somewhere near Somerset WI. from what I gather, the place closed in mid 80's. turned into a golf course. I can't find much info on it.

On 2/11/2020 at 1:40 PM, bobble said:

2/11/20

over lunch... snow was better than yesterday. still soft but not digging in like yesterday. almost hero if it weren't for the slow.

met a skier who talked about Snowcrest in Wisconsin. apparently its reopening. It's somewhere near Somerset WI. from what I gather, the place closed in mid 80's. turned into a golf course. I can't find much info on it.

My guess is it's right here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.0914377,-92.7308854,481a,35y,39.32t/data=!3m1!1e3

Not much vertical (260' max, according to Google Earth), but a great location for the east metro. And being part of the golf course, the facilities (less the chair lifts) are already in-place.

• Like 1

2/19/20

out at lunch. cold. around 10F?

there was a ski challenge course. talked to one of the employees running it. guess today is the last day.

crossroads and olympic had ski ruts.

snow was great under the tower. had to look over my shoulder for skiers warming up for the race.

2/27/20

haven't been riding due to bruised hip from welch. decided to go tubing with friends. on one run, I slid backwards up the embankment at the bottom and fell into a recess. I hit the back of my head against the fence. glad I wore a helmet.  i was inverted... feet above my head. felt like I was a turtle lying on its back trying to right myself.

the only thing that I disliked is the lines at the top of the hill. so much waiting.

anyways... good times!

2/29/20

had low expectations for conditions. when I arrived it was foggy. my initial thoughts were that the snow would be glazed with ice.

I was pleasantly surprised. the sun came out after an hour and turned into a beautiful day.

on milkrun, the snow was groomed and almost on the soft side. must've been groomed early morning. near perfect.

on crossroads I was bottoming out on ice but otherwise fine.

Olympic was great.

another surprise was that it wasn't busy for a Saturday. had I known i'd brought my coiler ec (I've only ridden it once this season).

3/1/20

todays board: Coiler EC board. 2nd time out this season.

conditions started out semi-soft then mashed potatoes.

took me a couple runs to get used to riding with F2 bindings. hard to heel-side off the lift. still haven't figured out heel-side extreme carves.

got a few complements on the chair. one guy asked my age, and then later said he was inspired.

one run i blew out toe-side and my front knee hit the soft snow. my knee got knocked laterally. no serious pain. i dialed it back.

wish I brought that board to Indianhead but then again it makes wide turns.

3/7/20

rode skis today with a friend. not my finest moment. it was snow cone. got into the 50's. some kids rode shirt-less. strange thing was buck removed the ski racks around the chalet. 

snow started to turn brown. 

last season I rode till March 31 2019. I don't think buck can stay open that long unless we get a dumping of new snow.

I was told I need to see Frozen. it was featured in the Lifty Times Journal.

11 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

^^^Didn't something like that happen--getting stuck on the lift?^^^

wow... had to google that.  yes, a couple times!

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article198829004.html

https://gearjunkie.com/man-stranded-on-gore-mountain-ski-lift

http://www.the13thfloor.tv/2017/01/03/the-real-life-frozen-woman-stranded-on-ski-lift-for-5-hours/

I would *think* that lifties would download which would guarantee that no one is still on the lift?

but … yay for tiny bumps.

3 hours ago, bobble said:

I would *think* that lifties would download which would guarantee that no one is still on the lift?

Lifties shouldn't download, cause there should be a top and bottom operator at all times the lift is spinning for safety reasons. But there are chair clearing procedures to ensure the chair is cleared. Like roping last chair and waiting for it to complete a cycle. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scott.Creer said:

Lifties shouldn't download, cause there should be a top and bottom operator at all times the lift is spinning for safety reasons. But there are chair clearing procedures to ensure the chair is cleared. Like roping last chair and waiting for it to complete a cycle. 

I see lifties riding the chair up to the top before lift is open. I just assumed that they download at close. I never see them with skis or snowboards.

but I can see your point.

13 hours ago, bobble said:

I see lifties riding the chair up to the top before lift is open. I just assumed that they download at close. I never see them with skis or snowboards.

but I can see your point.

I have seen some terrible things happen to chair lifts when operators and ski areas don't use good safety procedures. They really shouldn't upload without a top operator either, especially at a small hill where people can easily have hiked up. What if a kid hiked up and was hanging out up top when they fired it up? That has really terrible potential.

31 minutes ago, Scott.Creer said:

I have seen some terrible things happen to chair lifts when operators and ski areas don't use good safety procedures. They really shouldn't upload without a top operator either, especially at a small hill where people can easily have hiked up. What if a kid hiked up and was hanging out up top when they fired it up? That has really terrible potential.

there are days where I've hiked up the hill before the opened the lift. it takes me about 12-15 minutes. i'm sweating when I reach the top. so far no one has yelled at me for walking up the run. only once did someone ask to see my lift ticket at the top. anyways.  

I cannot recall ever seeing the lift operations drop off people at the top. they usually have a small meeting near the main chair and then afterwards disperse. one or two will ride up the main chair. others walk to the other chairs.

guess things are a little lax.

Yeah. It is all good till something happens. In California we were clearing the line to start the chair, and a few of the chairs had blown onto the communication cable. If someone had started it before clearing the line fully it would have likely taken the coms cable and maybe pulled the cable off the shivs.