Note to New Members ×

Buckhill 2019/20

bobble

1/7/20

At  lunch snow was decent. A bit fast. No ice underneath cord.

I misjudged the temperature. I thought it was going to be warm. Didn't realize the windchill would be in the teens. I was freezing.

On 1/6/2020 at 8:54 AM, DonPablo said:

I'll be out Tuesday evening on the board, there might even be an MK appearance... 

I saw buck posted that the warners and railyard are closed for snow making. jumped onto Milkrun webcam at 6pm. looked like races going on. going to sit this one out.

… I'll never know if you brought out the MK.

Hey all,

I am wrapping up with snowboarding because of my back. My lower degenerative and bulging discs act up mainly when I carve. Went out 2 weekends ago and have been nearly incapacitated since then. This is the third time it has happened 😞 . I'm too young to wreck my back lol. Therefore, because you guys were the ones that taught me to carve (Bob!) I'm going to be selling my setup here first at a heavy discount before I go to the B/S/T. Items include: Donek Proteus 175cm (SC: 12 WW: 21 THIS BOARD RIPPPPS) which is minty with 1-2 seasons, TD3 Bomber Sidewinders (Yellow/Yellow) 1-2 seasons, and Deeluxe 325 W/Bomber BTS springs blue/blue (One season and molded once). Send me a PM.

-Alex

IMG_20200107_224008.jpg

Edited by Awesomo12000
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, Awesomo12000 said:

Hey all,

I am wrapping up with snowboarding because of my back. My lower degenerative and bulging discs act up mainly when I carve. Went out 2 weekends ago and have been nearly incapacitated since then. This is the third time it has happened 😞 . I'm too young to wreck my back lol. Therefore, because you guys were the ones that taught me to carve (Bob!) I'm going to be selling my setup here first at a heavy discount before I go to the B/S/T. Items include: Donek Proteus 175cm (SC: 12 WW: 21 THIS BOARD RIPPPPS) which is minty with 1-2 seasons, TD3 Bomber Sidewinders (Yellow/Yellow) 1-2 seasons, and Deeluxe 325 W/Bomber BTS springs blue/blue (One season and molded once). Send me a PM.

-Alex

IMG_20200107_224008.jpg

sorry to hear this news. your far too young to be experiencing back pain.

i know from experience back injuries take a long time to heal. have you been to a doctor? hope your seeing a physical therapist.

i have age related disc degeneration and arthritis in my lower back. 

when i was in my 30's, a doctor told me to give up snowboarding. obviously that didn't happen. i would throw out my back every couple years. I don't recall if i was diagnosed with bulging disc but I had an MRI and I definitely have degeneration. i would experience back pain just getting out of a chair at kitchen table. 

i met with physical therapists to work on core strength. more recently i joined Lifetime gym and had a trainer go through mobility issues.

as they say, your mileage may vary...

fwiw... I have a stand-up desk for work. I bought it at Costco for $300. best thing ever. i've found that i have less back issues when i stand most of the day rather than slouched in a chair.

again, really sorry to hear you're selling your gear. perhaps you'll reconsider after your back has healed and have strengthened your core?

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 7:06 AM, bobble said:

perhaps you'll reconsider after your back has healed and have strengthened your core?

That's the goal eventually, but in the meantime I need to really work on that core. I'll probably end up with a softer setup when I get back. I might have to go with that trainer idea! Like you said and from everything I've read, a strong core is key.

1/13/20

1 hour ago, DonPablo said:

1/12/20

Boarding in the evening, the snow was slow but way better than Welch =(

They extended the terrain park further up Redtail ridge 

I went out at lunch. snow was grippy. I wish I could've stayed longer. might go back this evening.

I went down the backside and went over a ramp. light was flat. I'm torn on whether this is a good idea. just think about those beer leaguers who come down red tail unaware that there's a grind pipe around the bend.

7 hours ago, BobD said:

I'm hoping the park stuff on Red Tail is to allow room for a larger jump below. This would negate the need for a jump on Milk Run.

I went back in the evening (great snow!) and I took a trip down red tail back to my car. there was a teen walking up the upper portion. I guess we should expect more foot traffic to dodge. i'm waiting to see complaints on Instagram about this.

few days ago I was riding the chairlift with a snowboarder who said he worked at buck ("... always see you here"). I asked him if he knew if they were going to put a jumps/moguls on crossroads or milkrun.

he said the plan is to get moguls on crossroads but their first priority is to build up the snow base because its lower than normal. they are planning on end of January for moguls.

he wasn't sure about a big-air jump.

They have a sign that says its a park now at the top of Redtail but it easily missed.

The beer league folks really should go left then around on the mouse pass, (kinda sucks on a board but no big deal on skis) Then they don't have to go really fast at the bottom to get around the magic carpet where tons of people congregate to get back up the hill where the bar/banquet room is.

1/14/20

13 hours ago, bobble said:

few days ago I was riding the chairlift with a snowboarder who said he worked at buck ("... always see you here"). I asked him if he knew if they were going to put a jumps/moguls on crossroads or milkrun.

he said the plan is to get moguls on crossroads but their first priority is to build up the snow base because its lower than normal. they are planning on end of January for moguls.

BIBBLE DISINFORMED!!! 

moguls on crossroads!!! JFC!!!! race practice on Crossroads, Olympic and Warners. it was terrible. the course on Crossroads narrowed the run. one of the gates pinched the run near the bottom. milkrun was a bit crowded.

those bamboo poles are a nice touch. for safety! don't poke your eyes!

BIBBLE DEMANDS RIGHTFUL RETURN OF CARVERS PARADISE

I was going to write some snide comments on Instagram and maybe send an email but thought let cooler heads prevail. I know what they're going to say. they'll probably say that people have requested moguls. its funny because I have yet to meet anyone on the chair that said good things about a mogul field. 

its a tough pill to swallow. previous evening the snow was great. then come to find out buck borked the place up.

my biggest issue however is how the ski teams take over the place. why can't they practice on Olympic? there's plenty of room! if they hadn't taken over skiers right, then I might have had an okay evening despite moguls. 

heavy traffic forced onto rail yard. on first run I saw two kids (8-10 years old) laying on the snow with skis scattered. one of them was crying loudly in pain. I asked if they needed ski patrol. one of them said they went down Warners and cut across to rail yard but didn't know that its a steep drop-off.  its maybe 6-8ft drop. the one that was crying said that his head hurt. I went down to the ski lift and had lifty call ski patrol. I later saw the ski patrol helping the kids.

it never occurred to me that someone would take off in that direction. the kids are lucky they didn't break any bones. seriously, they need to fence off Warners and Railyard.

while they're at it, put up lights on Warners. also get buckets of paint for the lift house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1/15/20

went out in the evening. I didn't last long. it was brutally cold. my hands and feet was cold only after half hour.

milkrun had high school teams racing. at the top it was rutted but down a ways where it opens up its fine. I ventured over to rail yard where the cord was still present. that felt good.

ski club has set a course on skiers right of Crossroads that was closer towards the center of the run. I couldn't ride it. there's less than 15 feet between the moguls and the edge of their ruts. @DonPablo it was worse then Tuesday evening.

again, my issue is the ski clubs using up all the runs but their own.

5 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Great rant @bobble. Sorry, but it made me laugh, "don't poke your eye out" .

Maybe 12" of snow this weekend will cover the mogul field. ...or...

Maybe it's time for a nice quiet trip up north.  

re: poke eye out. they still have those sticks in the snow. they're black and impossible to see when you're moving down the run. maybe if they run to Home Depot they can buy some strobes and mount them to the sticks. while they're at it, pick up some paint.

how's indian head?

3 minutes ago, bobble said:

1/15/20

how's indian head?

I was there last Wed. The snow was nice and soft. Riding plate-less boards all day didn't bother my knee.  Plus, thin post holiday crowds.

They're getting lake-effect snow on the tail of this storm and should also get dumped on this weekend like the rest of us, with more lake-effect after that. 

Let me know if you want to go.

For the time being, things should be back in tip-top shape at Spirit. I'm hoping there's now enough snow to completely bury the ice base. Certainly after this weekend. We'll be out tomorrow and will file a report.

1/16/20

i went at lunch. cord was good except that on crossroads its a little squirrely from last nights ski ruts. spent most of the time on milkrun.

i spoke to a woman in the ticket office to voice my concerns about the moguls. she said they have been compiling complaints about the moguls. they've got it both ways -- they've received complaints about their presence as well as not having any. they even have complaints about the terrain park (red tail).

she said the moguls are temporary and will be taken down. i asked when. she said she didn't know but the managers will give about a weeks notice.

i told her that the main issue isn't so much the moguls but the way the ski club just takes over a run when they have space on Olympic.

she told me to send an email to tickets@buckhill.com and they will review them.

last season there was a ski race and a girl ended with nasty face rash. good times.

1/16/20

I was out in the evening, probably only did 12 runs and had to take a break in the middle to warm up my toes. Gteam had stubbys on Warners, 4 slalom courses setup on Olympic, and 1 on Crossroads.  Even when they are done with the gates on Crossroads the snow becomes like scorched earth, no one dares to go over there. 

I should have taken a picture of the bottom of the moguls, by 7 o'clock it looks like a freeway of tracks that cut below the moguls and across the hill to the chalet. Extra traffic because of the terrain park on Redtail? Maybe cause people ski faster when there is only a sliver of space between the moguls and the slalom course on Crossroads?  

Maybe its all just a sign to work on my short turns on skis? Cause if you have good short turn you can do anything

• Like 1

1/17/20

went out late lunch. it started snowing around 1:30pm. it was impossible to see the moguls on Crossroads. I stayed on Milkrun which was decent.

it looked like they placed bamboo poles up higher on the Crossroads for the mogul field. the distance between the moguls and the snow ramp is very narrow.

went down Crossroads only to take this photo. it's just … weird. Buck Hill really pushes hard on the LV angle to cringe-worthy lengths.

super fun fact: they renamed the rope tow on Olympic to Kildow's Climb.

what will you do with this new information?

1/19/20

went Sunday morning. flat light but snow was excellent. a little dusting of snow on top of cord. I went into the chalet for one break. I had a lot of snow in my front boot mostly around the heel.

no ski clubs. split my time between Olympic and Crossroads. when Ski Challenge finished i made turns under the main chair.

only saw one skier in moguls. looks like they shifted the field up the hill. shame.

1/25/20

snow was great. saw lots of hardbooters. i thought maybe it was the g-team but guess it was usasa race.

it was a long day... 9am till 3pm. a friend showed up at 12pm. snow was great till i left.

met some riders... one kid was from Ashland Wisconsin, another from Lacrosse.

strange thing was the place didn't have ski teams taking up the runs. yay!

Edited by bobble
i cants types
  • Like 1

2/1/20

show up at lift before it opens  there's a few regulars waiting  

lifty: hey everyone! I'm Brett and I will be servicing you today. I'm taking special requests. 

Me: what do you mean?

lifty: music.  Is there anything you guys want me to play?

Me: play some Christmas music... for the irony.

Lifty speaking into iPhone: find bad Christmas music  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2/2/20

temps were 40's. soft snow but it was good. met a hardbooter, leighton (sp?), who normally rides at Spirit or Trollhaugen.

buck was installing more Lyndsey Vonn propaganda on Olympic on the light poles. they really are pushing her image hard. i can't help the cringe. how much did buck pay to license half of her face? 

DIDN'T GET THE MEMO

@BobD and i were stopped at top of Olympic near the dangling head-butt cable. they were installing a poster next to the ramp.

employee: sorry but the run is temporarily closed for about 10 minutes... if you can wait.

me: HEY! so what do you think of the posters?

employee: uhhh... [smiles] … not... much?!?

me: oh! so you're not a Lyndsay Vonn fan?

employee: ummm….i don't know who she is... i'm from Oklahoma.

• Haha 3