Note to New Members ×

Buckhill 2019/20

bobble

got there early. walked up teachers pet before the lift started. got one run in before lift was operational.

ergo... i'm king of pets.

crossroads/milkrun not ready.

lasted an hour.

my front leg is out of shape. 

how do you paste Instagram posts into this forum. I forget how or did that change?

Edited by bobble
i dunno
  • Like 1

11/10/19

Not sure how to share Instagram. Used to be that I could paste in the link and the post would automatically appear embedded.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4sHJ2zgy7P/

It rained yesterday. Walked up the run before the chair was running and saw the ramps full of ice. Decided to keep on walking. More than one person at the top made comments about the ramp. one skier said to me "walking up is one way to avoid the problem". he then walked up to the lifty to complain about how dangerous it was at the bottom of the ramp.

at the top, saw two young snowboarders come off the chair. they fell at the bottom right near me. one said something like "i've never seen it so bad..."

me: hey... you should tell the lifty.

kid: no way. i already got yelled at in the ticket office.

me: what for?

kid: i posted negative comments on instagram.

me: WHAT?!? wait... how did they know it was you?

kid: i entered the buck hill fishing contest and they figured out it was me.

me: so who yelled at you.

kid: the guy in the ticket office.

anyways, i walked up teachers pet 5 times and left. snow was icy. i could hold an edge but it wasn't much fun. I had problems with the foam liner on goggles deteriorating so i left right about when they were addressing the ramp problem.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, Scuff said:

So, the Sunday morning Early-bird pricing has changed from $20 to $27?.......

35% increase?!? where are you seeing that? is that the price advertised in the lift office? when I go to the activities webpage they have half days at $15. but then clicking the link takes you to a calendar which doesn't do much.

maybe I'm looking at the wrong location. I don't like the way the website is set up.

I shall look forward to Yelp reviews in the coming future. 🤣

11/16/19

got to ticket office before 9AM only to be told they don't open till 10AM. i wasn't the only one that didn't read the new hours.

Olympic, Crossroads, Milkrun, terrain park on Red Tail, Teacher's Pet are open.

snow was soft but very carveble. felt great! it was fine for about 1/2 hour until it got compacted down. then it wasn't much fun. 

the chairlift had problems. it was shutting down every now and again. I was stuck for several minutes.

@Scuff their product view page says $15 for Half-Day.
https://buckhill.theonlysky.com/ecomm3/products/view/

maybe in future you can pre-order tickets to get a discount?

… or maybe they'll hire a web page designer with more attention to detail? 

one can only hope.

11/29/19

low visibility. snow has a light dusting of snow on top of cord. seemed fast. 

milkrun, crossroads, olympic, teachers pet, were open. 

what cracks me up is a full day is $47 even though not all runs are open.

why are they trying to sell mini cornhole games with buck logo at the ticket office?

12/2/19

went out over lunch break. snowguns were blowing on every run but didn't seem to be blowing snow. just water vapor. I had water droplets on my goggles. when I got home the thighs of my sweat pants were wet.

the snow on skiers right of crossroads was soft. almost hero. 

12/8/19

snow was fast. initially it was sunny skies. around 11AM it was completely flat.

THE SEARCH FOR MOON VALLEY -- MINNESOTA'S FOREMOST SKI RESORT

i had once heard about a ski slope that had closed long ago that was somewhere along the Minnesota River.  i thought the site was in east Bloomington near Indian Mounds or past cedar avenue. tried searching but couldn't find anything.

i came across an article that mentioned Moon Valley ski slope.  it was located in Chanhassen along Minnesota River. I must've have mixed up the location. I started to research Moon Valley but couldn't find much except interior photo of chalet and a match book of "Minnesota's Foremost Ski Resort".

finding the location was confusing. i thought maybe it was near Lion's Den or further south on Flying Cloud road where there was a gravel pit. I searched on google maps and UM geo library of aerial photos. nothing stood out. i asked my brother because he lives in the area.

he replied...

I had an employee who said her uncle owned a ski hill in Chan. I’m pretty sure it was on the river bluff off Hesse Farms Road. It’s still wooded and would’ve been a nice green run. There are houses along it but you can see how it would’ve been a nice run.

here's approximate location: Flying Cloud near Hesse Farm Road

I later found a Facebook posting from City of Chanhassen.

Did you know that Chanhassen had a ski slope from the 1940's to the 1960's? It was called Moon Valley on Flying Cloud Drive in southern Chanhassen. It cost $1 to ski all day, had a chalet and an electric tow rope. They even made snow! Did you ever ski there?

start saving those Buck Hill brochures and matchbooks. in 10-20-30 years they'll be collectibles.

18 hours ago, bobble said:

start saving those Buck Hill brochures and matchbooks. in 10-20-30 years they'll be collectibles.

Hope they don't have the same fate as Moon Valley... You'll have to buy some of that awesome Buck swag in the ticket office! Ask them how much for the lunch in the fridge that's on the left as you enter, lol. 

The brewery that I was thinking of but couldn't remember its name is called The Lab 

I stayed till about 2:30, felt pretty tired after walking the dog when I got home. 

12/12/19

took day off. buck was closed past couple days in order to build up their snow base. it snow last night. started off with softboots because I thought there would be powder. there was some but they had groomed. drove home to get my alpine board...

because...

the China alpine snowboard team was practicing at buck. I tried talking to a couple but they shrugged "no English". I briefly spoke to their coach and it sounded like they'll be here all week. I think there was 7-8 riders.

rollerball anyone?

• Like 1

12/13/19

3 hours ago, Mr. T said:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.....

so … beer league warm-up?

The China alpine team was practicing again. They have a few strong riders. Visibility was poor. Started out flat light but to make matters worse Buck was blowing snow so it was hazy at the top. Then the snow started to fall. Saw a couple of them fall and I don't blame them. I was getting vertigo near the bottom.

12/14/19

strange weather. started cloudy with snow coming down. sunny at noon. snow was really good. when i arrived the parking lot was busy. caught the 8:50 chair for first tracks.

mr. t and junior showed up. good times! :biggthump

buck still had not opened the other chair. they have the snow. long lift lines started just after 9am. crazy. 

China alpine team still there. down in the lift line one of the riders raised his glove and fist bumped me. tried talking. no english. least fist bump is something. all of them are riding Oxcess with Allflex plates, Mountain Slope 951 boots. in the Instagram below, the two riders on each side of their coach seemed very strong.

g-team, where art thou???

the runs got insanely crowded with clinics. the China team left early. 

we left about 11:30 or so.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 1:52 PM, bobble said:

12/14/19

g-team, where art thou???

the runs got insanely crowded with clinics. the China team left early. 

G-team training is Thursday. Wouldn't be surprised if SSWSC is there too.

Friday is FIS and junior FIS races.

Sat & Sun is NAC (NorthAmerican championships, otherwise known as Race to the Cup (RTTC)).