Note to New Members ×

Buckhill 2019/20

bobble

4 hours ago, DonPablo said:

Thinking I'll be out tomorrow night, might bring out the board this time...

Maybe Saturday Night

For sure Sunday morning, what time you guys headed there Sunday morning?

re: Sunday morning... I usually arrive around 8:45 AM. 

1 hour ago, bigwavedave said:

Hope to get a few runs in during course inspection between 9-10am and maybe during the break before finals.

I would not be surprised at all that the chair is running early for warm-ups. The ticket office opens at 8:30 AM. 

I made it out last evening on the SL board, didn't stay too long, maybe 8 runs on the board then skied. 

Parking lot was a mess when I got there 5:45ish, there was a bus with it's emergency lights on where you would make a right into the parking lot and people were lining up behind it but it was going anywhere. People making the left starting going around the car that was waiting to make the left. I ended up going in the exit. 

Snow was pretty skied up on crossroads but was decent, milk run was all fenced off, red tail ridge and the park below was closed. Snow seemed pretty crispy on the south side of the hill. Wind was blowing up hill so everything seemed slow. 

12/21/19

beautiful day.

race to the cup.

crossroads was chewed up but was better than yesterday. before the race it was crowded with hard booters all going at same time. i only saw one near miss between a hard booter and a skier (the skier would've been at fault).

first half hour or so, olympic was available. then some skiers started drilling holes to setup courses on both sides of the run.

stayed on crossroads most of the day. waited for @bigwavedave to get off race duty. 

got warm. snow was sticking to underside of my boot making it difficult to step  into binding. on one run I felt my rear boot shift in binding. slowed to a stop. the fintec pin wasn't engaged. messed with my head. 

left around 1pm.

xmas eve carving! don't be the jerry in jeans because you forgot xmas eve at buck was tradition, and had to wear whatever you had on, racing to the hill from work! (true story)

i'll be the one on skis, woo-hooing from the chair. broken snowboard boots makes me a skier for a while. at least i won't be in jeans!

-trent

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobble said:

12/22/19

@bigwavedave and i got first tracks about 8:40 AM. first couple runs on crossroads were dreamy! felt great!!!

Why are these two smiling? See Bob's post above. Had the hill virtually to ourselves for several runs before 100 carvers destroyed the hill warming up for the races.

IMG_4034.JPG.6d81cdff0758b38cb914b083cac953f0.JPG

Bob, being the gracious host, insisted I go ahead of him and make the very first soulstice tracks.

Snow was very nice despite temps getting up to around 40°F.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

...before 100 carvers destroyed the hill warming up for the races.

how many racers where there? I heard an announcement that there were 10 countries in attendance. the race program didn't list teams or countries just names. only countries I know for sure are China, Japan, Canada, and USA.

what were the other countries?

2 hours ago, bobble said:

how many racers where there? I heard an announcement that there were 10 countries in attendance. the race program didn't list teams or countries just names. only countries I know for sure are China, Japan, Canada, and USA.

what were the other countries?

55 men and 32 women, mostly CAN and USA, several from CHN and JPN, and one athlete each from GBR, AUS, RUS, POR, NED, CZE.

...and the Canadians dominated both days of the NorAm taking most spots on the podiums.

12/26/19

left early. runs were icy. hard to see in flat light. race practices going on. milkrun was rutted already.

the staff have been running 4-wheelers everywhere and making deep tire tracks in the snow. straight up the middle of the backside run down to warrens. very precarious at the bottom of other chairlift.

fwiw...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6ipRQbgjAf/

12/30/19

early morning slushy snow. the chairlift had slush. tried clearing the seat before I sat down. I was on the new chairlift. they had two guys running it. not sure why. would've been nice if the one guy doing nothing could've ran a squeegee.

I skied for about 1-1/2 hours. stayed on meadows (aka railyard). something was up with warners. midway down there was ruts or something. only took two runs on that one. the 4-wheelers were messing up the bottom again.

couldn't keep goggles clear. the slush soaked through my clothing. at one point I felt water trickle down my sweat pants. my kinco gloves were wet. got to the point where the cold wet clothes was painful to ride on the chairlift.

I met a guy on a tele-board. he's from Wisconsin and had brought his kid to ski camp.

12/31/19

erik and i were first on runs. both on boards. snow was soft especially near the towers. i fell down a few times from abruptly slowing down. 

half of crossroads was roped off for ski camp. when i was in the ticket office i complained. despite the fact that they took half the run, the ski camp performed drills on our side of the rope. that's just not right.

switched to skis around 10AM. it was getting crowded.

the lifty at the ctec lift was acting strange. he was trying to be everyone's favorite lifty. he was telling snowboarders to lower the heel-backs. if they forgot, he would slow down the lift, run over to the chair and push the riders heel-back down with a quick lecture. i'd never seen that before.

after 12pm, they regroomed crossroads occupied by ski camp. took a run on fresh cord but it was uneven. i left afterwards.

1/1/20

walked up the run. saw debris from NYE fireworks that landed at the bottom of the terrain park.

as i patiently waited at the top i watched as skiers headed down to the chair to be first in line for the holy sacrament of "first tracks". the chairlift started on time and i waited for the lifty to reach midway and then... APRIL FOOLS MFKZ!!! by the time i reached the bottom there were skiers heading up the chair looking at me with tears flowing from under their goggles. 

so... made first tracks for 2020!!!  mission accomplished.

seriously, the snow was excellent. probably best all season.  best part was no ski practice! unfortunately the light turned flat. switched to skis and lenses too. left around 11am. i would've stayed longer but i woke up with a cold and was feeling ill. that walk up the hill didn't help.

• Like 3

I got out with the kids on NEw years day for the evening shift. We arrived at 4 to an almost full lot but found a spot right by the ski school. Grabbed our gear, walked up the beach in between ski school and rental shop. Lots of people milling about . As I bent down to get my front boot in, I heard a kid squeal and looked up to see a high speed, snow plowing but out of control bullet child who somehow managed to thread through criss crossing traffic and now was heading right for me. Just as I was bracing for impact , she went right around me, and my kids, straight at the ski racks which she was able to miraculously avoid, only to hit the sidewalk and go face first into the plexiglass window of the rental shop. There was silence, then screaming, it was ugly.

Fun night , despite the shocking start. Firm , sorta unforgiving conditions, but fast. Crowds thinned out quickly, we rode till close.

Edited by Mr. T

On 1/4/2020 at 12:18 PM, bobble said:

1/4/20

Welcome to Crazy Buck's Race Gate Emporium!!!

• We got gates on Milkrun
  • We got gates on Crossroads.
  • We got gates on Olympic
  • We even have gates for the little ones on Warners.

What a cluster####.

@Mr. T here's that wholesome family movie I think you should see.

I skied Sunday morning, Ski challenge had pretty much taken over milk run and crossroads, there was a lot of people there racing. The Sun was out on my way to the hill then disappeared. 

I'll be out Tuesday evening on the board, there might even be an MK appearance... 

13 minutes ago, DonPablo said:

I skied Sunday morning, Ski challenge had pretty much taken over milk run and crossroads, there was a lot of people there racing. The Sun was out on my way to the hill then disappeared. 

I'll be out Tuesday evening on the board, there might even be an MK appearance... 

I stayed home. I had to complete a project for work. I was planning on heading to Welch. It had rained at about  6AM so I wasn't thrilled about potential conditions. Bucks Instagram showed one of the lifts and it looked foggy. 

But later it became sunny. And windy.