Note to New Members ×

Beginner Needing Advice...(what's new?)

jonny.a

@Buell the models I have don't have springs, but apparently I can swap out the 3-position locking things I have for a spring system. Maybe worth looking into if I can find the springs cheap enough! Like you say though, the boots probably aren't worth spending a fortune on. I think new thermo-liners and the spring mech (if I can find one) is the way to go for now.

@Kneel definitely starting to realise that! Think I need to progress a bit further before I fully commit to a custom board though. Make totally sure it's what I want to pursue!

@ken I'm exactly the same. I go out having watched hours of video tutorials thinking I know where to start, and then end up "just getting down" the slope. Will definitely look into instruction - I know there are a few groups of Poles doing it. If not, Sigi Grabner puts on camps in Austria which isn't far from us at all. Might look into that for next season.

I also have a Burton R-17 154 that I tried ONCE for literally just a couple of runs. Does anyone think that would make a good AM board, or is it too small for me? Seems like it might be...

19 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

The video @AcousticBoarder referred to doesn't do quite what they say. 

Yeah. I was trying to keep it simple but probably oversimplified it too much haha. There are lots of factors but the point I was trying to make is that while there should be an angle that doesn't require canting in either direction, it will be a little different for everyone, and not to follow anyone just blindly saying "set your stance at x and angles at y and lift/cant at z" 

It's very personal and usually takes a while to perfect. Keep working on it until that magic formula is found, that's when the addiction truly starts 😈... Uh I mean because once it is, everything starts falling perfectly into place 😇

Hmm:

On 3/9/2019 at 10:20 AM, jonny.a said:

... I don't feel like I have much control when I'm on my hardboot setup, especially at slower speeds.

Specifically at lower speeds is interesting. It's hard to know based on text, but you said this, and that's what I'm focusing on.

What's the manufacturer's recommended weight range for that board? I know without looking that it's too big for me with my 62kgs - I can ride those kind of things, but I can only pressure them enough to turn at Mach 2. Which would make them really hard for me to ride slowly. At 78Kgs. and a 173cm board..... hmm, that's not where I'd start.

You say you're not into Extreme Carving. You also say you want to ride the whole mountain, which is what I do.

My suggestions:

1. Check the weight range for that board and if you're not in the middle of it, then trade the board for something where you are in the middle, or even the upper end of the weight range, because as a beginner you're not going to be particularly aggressive.

2. Consider SL boards, because they're flexible for all mountain use and most importantly they turn at slow speeds too. Forget "custom", because you can't try the boards out first. Try out several boards because sizing of the board is crucial. I could not ride most people's boards here comfortably, and I certainly would not want to. You have to try before you buy, really.

3. Don't sweat the boots, the number of buckles don't matter. If they fit, stick with them. There are broadly no new hard snowboarding boots - they're all old designs. New ones are different colours, that's all.

4. Don't use crazy-high angles if you're not into diving for the snow. I use 45 degrees parallel at resorts and in the back country and it works fine. The extremes are for Extreme Carving people.

-- edited
Here you go - if it's this board, well " In short: an original world cup model that offers unlimited lateral position for any kind of speeding thrill!". So it'll be great at racecourse speeds.
http://www.snowdb.com/catalog/voelkl/2011/rt-gs

Edited by philw
Add link to possible board spec

@philw That's the one! I think mine is a slightly older model though, but same principal.

I also have a Burton "R.17 Addicted" 154 but think it might be too small for me. Can't find the specific specs online, but as far as I can tell the Carver's Almanac considers it a "race" board, so probably not ideal either.

I think I know what I need to do now: replace my manky old boot liners & get a proper "all mountain" carving board.

** If anyone around Europe has an AM board for sale, let me know! Will also post in the classified when I get a chance 🙂 **

I think you may be right - in recent years boards have been designed shorter, so my Kessler SL is a 156, but Burton stuff is old so that sounds teeny. I'm sure someone in Europe has a more suitable board. As I think someone mentioned F2 boards are good, well priced and fairly easily available. Their 162SL or the equivalent Speedster may be good choices. I've ridden the former and it's slightly too stiff for my 62kgs - ridable but needs aggression. I would not want to have had to learn (hardbooting) on that because I have to stamp on it to make it perform.

I started on an F2 Silberpfeil and that was perfectly adequate and a lot cheaper than the alternatives.  I think it works ok bomber style.  Got a pretty good deal in a package with F2 race bindings from http://carver.si  Bluetomato always has tons of older F2 gear on sale.

If you are like me you might want to consider a metal board if you’ve had positive progression after a year and are feeling the addiction take hold.   A lot of people stress that they are too forgiving of sloppy riding and can encourage bad habits, but if you are a bit disciplined, they magically slow down time and allow you to more accurately pick apart your riding and figure out what you need to focus on.

Lasly, I find freeriding carving boards to be perfectly happy in a wide range of conditions.  Last trip to Utah I was riding my Coiler Nirvana in bowls, chutes, trees, bottomless pow and groomers.  It was of course a master on groom, but if you adapt your technique appropriately it will slay everything.

10 hours ago, jonny.a said:

@st_lupo Great! The Silberfeils seem to pop up quite often too. Will keep my eyes peeled!

German Ebay, lots of used F2, try to get newer ones tho.

Nobile makes good boards too, but their pricing is just weird.... I'm sure your carving friends in poland would say that as well.

P.s. I'm in warsaw right now, lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jonny.a said:

@st_lupo  好极了!Silberfeils似乎经常出现。会保持我的眼睛去皮!

If you want a softer alpineboard and adapt to all mountain, I recommend F2 el diablo or speedstar gts.
The package of them with the F2 rs bindings is very cheap and suitable for beginners.

• Thanks 1

Stick with it, breathe and don't forget to have fun !

When I first started i bought a pretty aggressive, stiff and skinny board because its all I could find, It was very difficult. I then found a more flexible, wider board (Burton Alp 164) that allowed me to practice using shallower binding angles and steadily improve. I spent lots of time on beginner runs, working on feeling more comfortable and adjusting my stance. Lots of practice and lots of breaks to take in the scenery and appreciate the great outdoors and why i love snow sports. 

Start Slow, Take your Time, Smile Stupidly !

PS let me know if you want to trade for that Renntiger 😉

Timothy 'JetSpeed' Martin

-France.

• Like 1