Note to New Members ×

Boot fitting

micdan

45 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

If that is your red sock in your shell that is too tight, IMHO. Is that the 27?  And is your foot 28.4 cm?  If so, go to a 28 shell and cut the toe almost out of the liner.

I could never get the toe area of the 131 or 141 liner thin enough to give me enough room so I made a cut through the top of the liner from about 1.5” behind the end of my big toe all the way across my foot to the base of my little toe so that when I put my socked foot in my liner, out of the shell, that slit/cut opened up about 3/4”. I know this sounds crazy and I expected I would ruin the liners and have cold toes but it worked perfectly with no problems or cold toes and it totally solved my boot fitting issues.  

That's not my photo. My photo is in the mountain slope boots earlier in the thread. 

Similar to the red sock guy and it feels perfect to me, but then again I spent a lot of time getting my set up dialed perfectly.

Btw I've cut the toe in my liner before also (back when I had Deeluxe boots), but that was before I was aware of the c-clamp method- you can compress the foam to 1mm permanently with a c-clamp. 

I always thought that 312 mm upz shell is actually an external size of the toe an heel piece. 

the actual size would say 291/312 meaning that inside of the shell you would have 291 mm in lenght inside of the shell

If your feet are 284 than a smaller shell would be too small or ultra race fit. 

my feet are about the same and I did ride this shells with foam liners and they were fine. 

@micdan

what is the full number on the heel of your boots? 

is it like 279mm/299mm? 

can you measure with tape how much space you have inside? 

regards

Edited by slapos

15 hours ago, slapos said:

I always thought that 312 mm upz shell is actually an external size of the toe an heel piece. 

the actual size would say 291/312 meaning that inside of the shell you would have 291 mm in lenght inside of the shell

That's not how it is at all. UPZ BSL small number is the external BSL of the toe to snowboard heel. The larger number is the BSL with the SKI toe and SKI Heel pieces in place.

There is no internal size chart of UPZs that I'm aware of.

Edit- I wear the 291/312 shells and my foot is 292 and I have one and 1/4 large finger space in shell size test.  Somewhere on here is a photo I posted of the undersized liner 285 that comes with the 291/312 shells.

Edited by lonbordin
more finger

2 hours ago, daveo said:

That's not my photo. My photo is in the mountain slope boots earlier in the thread. 

Similar to the red sock guy and it feels perfect to me, but then again I spent a lot of time getting my set up dialed perfectly.

Btw I've cut the toe in my liner before also (back when I had Deeluxe boots), but that was before I was aware of the c-clamp method- you can compress the foam to 1mm permanently with a c-clamp. 

Even if I compressed the toe area of the liner down to 1mm thick using a c-clamp it would not have given me the 3/4” I needed. Again, this cutting method sounds crazy but my boots are now super comfy!

22 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

Even if I compressed the toe area of the liner down to 1mm thick using a c-clamp it would not have given me the 3/4” I needed. Again, this cutting method sounds crazy but my boots are now super comfy!

Nothing wrong with the cutting method.

Uou could always get an iron on neoprene patch to go over the slit if you ever felt the need 🙂

This is my foot and I couldn't be comfier:

jtqeWap.jpg

9 hours ago, lonbordin said:

That's not how it is at all. UPZ BSL small number is the external BSL of the toe to snowboard heel. The larger number is the BSL with the SKI toe and SKI Heel pieces in place.

There is no internal size chart of UPZs that I'm aware of.

Edit- I wear the 291/312 shells and my foot is 292 and I have one finger space in shell size test.  Somewhere on here is a photo I posted of the undersized liner 285 that comes with the 291/312 shells.

I might be mistaken... 

Edited by slapos

6 hours ago, slapos said:

I might be mistaken... 

So not your fault. UPZ needs better documentation about their product!

Aforementioned thread about liner size is here (Note: the liner is 286/287 mm long)- 

I just measured my 2018 RC11 291/312 boot shell.  The internal size is slightly more than 300mm.  It's hard to measure this with a fabric tape and where on the curved heel do you measure to?  I tried to measure from the flat in front to where the curve begins in the back.  It's much larger than 300 if you measure from the curved in front to the curve in back.

Edit- My foot is 293 and I have ~1 and 1/4 large finger space behind the heel doing a shell size test.

Edited by lonbordin
moar... always moar...

I have a size 27 upz shell. And i should be in a 28. My feet were in constant pain. I could only get about 2-3 turns in before i had to stop and cry a little. You can as @Corey how that went during the last aspen event. I had my boot punched out and widened by the guys at surefoot in aspen. (cool guys, didn't even want to charge me so i gave them 20 bucks for beer). I then had another shop in snowmass perform some major surgery on my intuition liners; he peeled away the top layer on my problem areas on the sides of my feet and used a dremel to grind away foam material. We put duct tape over those areas. My liners look funny with duct tape, but it worked. I also got a custom footbed made in aspen by some guy, think he calls himself the foot doctor...Once i had all of these things done, i was finally comfortable, no pain in feet, and i could finally carve without pain. This immediately greatly improved my carving technique. I would say that my boot fit is about 90% of where i want it to be. There are still some hot spots that i could probably get punched out, but it's nothing that bothers me while riding and my feet are very secure. I will probably, eventually get a size 28 upz and a low volume intuition liner.