Note to New Members ×

Boot fitting

micdan

Hello everyone,

I have a question about right size for my new boots: RC11 9.5  - mp 28.0, shell size: 312mm.

My feet: 284 MP. Somehow I still have some space in shell with bare foot without liner (about 2 fingers thickness).  

My question is: is it better to give back these shoes and get smaller shell (299mm) or stay with these. Im scared about shin bang that i got with my previous Deeluxe 325.

2 minutes ago, micdan said:

Hello everyone,

I have a question about right size for my new boots: RC11 9.5  - mp 28.0, shell size: 312mm.

My feet: 284 MP. Somehow I still have some space in shell with bare foot without liner (about 2 fingers thickness).  

My question is: is it better to give back these shoes and get smaller shell (299mm) or stay with these. Im scared about shin bang that i got with my previous Deeluxe 325.

How about a photo?

These are my heels in my boots. My right foot is 2mm longer than my left. This is about the correct size in general.

jtqeWap.jpg

axrkI1f.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, micdan said:

I just ordered UPZ boots MP27 with shell size 299mm. Do I need special liners or stock liner will be good? My feets are 284mm both.

Feel free to drop me a line if you decide to switch liners. I have a brand new pair of Low Volume Intuition Dreamliners - never ridden, never molded. I tried them in my AF600 and just decided I was better off with the overlaps I have.

Thank you everyone.

12 hours ago, Jonny said:

Feel free to drop me a line if you decide to switch liners. I have a brand new pair of Low Volume Intuition Dreamliners - never ridden, never molded. I tried them in my AF600 and just decided I was better off with the overlaps I have.

It would be nice, but I'm based in Europe. 

13 hours ago, daveo said:

Most hate them. I did, too. I can recommend 28.5 Palau Dual Fit. 19% VAT is removed in cart and shipping is free.

But there are many other options, you can consider them all.

Aren't Palau 28.5 liners too big for these shells? In 299mm shell there are 260, 265, 270 liners (stock).

7 minutes ago, micdan said:

en't Palau 28.5 liners too big for these shells? In 299mm shell there are 260, 265, 270 liners (stock).

No they are not if your foot fits in your boot with 1-1.5 finger gap behind the heel. The master dimension is your larger foot's length, then you round up to the nearest 0.5cm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveo said:

I'm with @daveo

3 hours ago, Deuxdiesel said:

I was I had that much space in my shells.  Remember that it is easier to make a big boot small than a small boot big.  I spent decades wearing 27 shells for "better performance" instead of 28's and now I am paying for it.  

This is how one day after packing out a bit your heel pops out and your injured.

Fit is the most important thing with boots. 

But don't believe a guy on the internet go down to your bootfitter and ask.

Edited by lonbordin
Stupid autocorrect is stupid.

I bought into the Bomber hype and struggled with boots that were too small.  If you have limitless time/skill for boot punching, you can make them fit.  Going back up one size didn't affect my performance (casual rider - only trophies to be had are smiles) and let me keep my toenails.  I went from 29, to 28, to 27 in Deeluxe shells.  Then I switched to UPZ shells in M27.  After a couple of seasons of pain and toenail issues in Deeluxe and UPZ, I went back to M28 UPZ shells and haven't thought about it again.  My heels weren't held down better in the M27 shells than the M28 shells.  

Most people go too large on boots, but it is possible to go too small too.  

1 hour ago, daveo said:

@Corey do you think his boots are too big from the photos though? 

No, just sharing my experience as I don't think I've ever seen someone told that their boots were too small.   The photo above does make the shell look a bit big, but I don't trust a single photo of a complex shape to confidently claim one way or another.  

9 hours ago, Deuxdiesel said:

I was I had that much space in my shells.  Remember that it is easier to make a big boot small than a small boot big.  I spent decades wearing 27 shells for "better performance" instead of 28's and now I am paying for it.  

The flip side is that a big boot will cause chafing and pain as well. It needs to fit, period.

FWIW replacing the liners to Intuition made the boot fit way better and it's now as comfortable as my soft boots.

My feet are 260 and 262, I downsize to 245 RCR from 260, simply too much wiggle.

All cuffs are one size so shin ban shouldn't be a problem, you can always get a thinner tongue.

I have smaller volume asian feet so the top of my feet are snug, but I cannot say the same for others, from the photo you definitiely needed to downsize a shell lengthwise

On 1/18/2019 at 4:43 PM, daveo said:

@Corey do you think his boots are too big from the photos though? 

HI DAVEO

On 1/17/2019 at 12:21 PM, micdan said:

RC11 9.5  - mp 28.0, shell size: 312mm.

My feet: 284 MP. 

2 fingers seems still okay, on the smaller it would be just below one finger- most likely.. I have 27.8cm foot length in 312mm (28-28,5) rc10. Perfect fit for me, wouldn’t ever think smaller. 27-28 mountain slope 951 is too short as is 27-27,5 Deeeluxe Suzuka, if that helps.

Depends very much what you prefer, but 27 seems too small - perhaps ok, if you like very tight fit and thin liners and if shell is otherwise perfect for your foot (with help of boot fitter or being lucky fitting straight to that shell), as it depends also what’s your front foots shape is compared to shell’s (and liner’s) shape. No need to suffer, it just ruins everything - tested with too short ones for half and an hour, and it felt like never been snowboarding before.

I have Sidas pro form foam liners, so very tight fit in heels/ankle and generous on toes. Haven’t got any thermomoldable’s even close to fit compared to foams. Extra room is easy to fill with foam.. That’s the way even my boot fitter is nowadays making boots for ski teams (with foam liners), one size bigger without not so much punching.

I got RC10 MP27. 

Here are the results.

It is definitely much tighter fit. It is about 1 finger thickness. I couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes though. 

I want to order Palau Power Fit. But I'm scared that this is just too tight. 

lewa_stopa_rc10.jpg

prawa stopa_rc10.jpg

Edited by micdan

• 2 weeks later...

Update for future viewers/purposes:

I molded Palau Power fit MP 285 with UPZ RC10 (299mm). I was riding them for 3 hours yesterday and it's good fit.

Still, it's pretty tight and I had to unzip them every run. But I think after few rides it would be perfect.

I will try to mold them with my Sidas footbeds (I have flat feet) in a few days. So yeah, downfitting in my case worked out, even though it seemed impossible at first. Thanks @daveo, @JRAZZ and rest of you.

Edited by micdan
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 5:29 AM, Corey said:

I bought into the Bomber hype and struggled with boots that were too small.  If you have limitless time/skill for boot punching, you can make them fit.  Going back up one size didn't affect my performance (casual rider - only trophies to be had are smiles) and let me keep my toenails.  I went from 29, to 28, to 27 in Deeluxe shells.  Then I switched to UPZ shells in M27.  After a couple of seasons of pain and toenail issues in Deeluxe and UPZ, I went back to M28 UPZ shells and haven't thought about it again.  My heels weren't held down better in the M27 shells than the M28 shells.  

Most people go too large on boots, but it is possible to go too small too.  

I had the exact same experience Corey describes with all of the same sizes and brands of boots.  My foot measures 28.2 cm.  Could not comfortably cram my foot into a 27, Deeluxe or UPZ, as the shell was just too short.  Both 29s were too sloppy. I finally settled on UPZ RC8s (almost identical to RC10s and I had both boots side by side for comparison), size 28 and then spent a season doing surgery in the toe area on my size 28 Deeluxe/Palau 131 liners and now have no heel lift, great support and ALMOST bedroom slipper comfort.

With your 28.4 cm feet and with the pics you supplied showing the room between your heels and your shells I would bet size 28 shells would be your size if you alter the toe area of the shell to give you more toe room...about 3/4".  I think Corey's feet may even be about the length of yours.  My opinion is you're going to swim in 29s and you're going to endure endless pain in 27s just like Corey did and I would have.

3 hours ago, micdan said:

Update for future viewers/purposes:

I molded Palau Power fit MP 285 with UPZ RC10 (299mm). I was riding them for 3 hours yesterday and it's good fit.

Still, it's pretty tight and I had to unzip them every run. But I think after few rides it would be perfect.

I will try to mold them with my Sidas footbeds (I have flat feet) in a few days. So yeah, downfitting in my case worked out, even though it seemed impossible at first. Thanks @daveo, @JRAZZ and rest of you.

I unbuckle at the bottom of each run by choice

On 1/23/2019 at 4:25 AM, micdan said:

I got RC10 MP27. 

Here are the results.

It is definitely much tighter fit. It is about 1 finger thickness. I couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes though. 

I want to order Palau Power Fit. But I'm scared that this is just too tight. 

lewa_stopa_rc10.jpg

prawa stopa_rc10.jpg

That looks perfect. 

Keep modifying them until they're comfy. A c-clamp on hot spots on the liner. Even if it is the toes and heel to get more length is fine. Grinding or sanding the shell. 

Don't stop until perfect. But the room you have now is perfect, just keep at it. 

1 hour ago, daveo said:

I unbuckle at the bottom of each run by choice

That looks perfect. 

Keep modifying them until they're comfy. A c-clamp on hot spots on the liner. Even if it is the toes and heel to get more length is fine. Grinding or sanding the shell. 

Don't stop until perfect. But the room you have now is perfect, just keep at it. 

If that is your red sock in your shell that is too tight, IMHO. Is that the 27?  And is your foot 28.4 cm?  If so, go to a 28 shell and cut the toe almost out of the liner.

I could never get the toe area of the 131 or 141 liner thin enough to give me enough room so I made a cut through the top of the liner from about 1.5” behind the end of my big toe all the way across my foot to the base of my little toe so that when I put my socked foot in my liner, out of the shell, that slit/cut opened up about 3/4”. I know this sounds crazy and I expected I would ruin the liners and have cold toes but it worked perfectly with no problems or cold toes and it totally solved my boot fitting issues.