Note to New Members ×

Air travel with a 200cm board?

fishrising

Who here has flown with a 200cm board?  What bag did you use?  Did the airline give you any trouble?

I have the Burton Wheelie Locker 181 and the largest board it fits in my quiver is my 187 Tanker.  My 200 Tanker sticks out of it by at least 6” if not 8”.

What have you guys used traveling to protect your longboards?

1 hour ago, fishrising said:

Who here has flown with a 200cm board?  What bag did you use?  Did the airline give you any trouble?

I have the Burton Wheelie Locker 181 and the largest board it fits in my quiver is my 187 Tanker.  My 200 Tanker sticks out of it by at least 6” if not 8”.

What have you guys used traveling to protect your longboards?

I travel both in the US and to Japan and Europe quite a bit with my 200/201cm Tankers and Stranda Cheaters with no issues...I use Dakine bags pretty much exclusively and have found the boundary ski roller to be one of the better 200cm bags that does not weigh too much and provides decent padding:

https://www.evo.com/ski-bags/dakine-boundary-roller-bag

As long as you keep the bags under 50lbs, they usually do not say anything.

cheers,

sandy

• Like 1

If you read the fine print, some air lines restrict the allowable length for snowboards, plus usually only 1 allowed per bag. Skis have a much longer max length restriction and you can carry multiple sets. Therefore, I only fly with 'skis'. 3 of them, of varying length. 

95% of the time they just care that the bag is under 50 lbs. Have never seen a tape measure come out, but it wouldn't surprise me in the future. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I use a Dakine roller bag meant for skis.  It's labelled as 185 but it holds my 2m Tanker no problem.  Never had an issue with it flying, airlines so far have been Air Canada, Westjet and United.  They've never opened it up to see the gross violations of their rules: I'm usually carrying two boards plus most of my outerwear wrapped around the edges for extra protection.  I've never come close to the 50 lb limit.

If that day ever comes that they open the bag, I'll proudly proclaim that they're skiboards. You know, like the weird people in lift lines confidently call them. 

I've only been asked the distinction of skis vs. snowboards once, and they didn't open the bag to verify.