Note to New Members ×

US Shipping and Customs Brokerage

crackaddict

So I'm trying to get a board shipped from Europe (Furberg Freeride Split).  If I have it sent here to Revelstoke it will arrive with a bill for about $150 CDN for brokerage and federal tax.  Can I save that coin by picking it up in the US?  When you guys get boards from Europe or Japan do they arrive with postage due on what was supposed to be a 'free shipping' offer?  They always do in Canada, even when shipped from the US.

Also, has anybody experienced delays at customs on snowboards?  Winter is on now and nothing rides steep chutes and tight trees like a Furberg.  

I'm debating having it shipped to Idaho to pick up along with my new Thirst.  The money I could save on two boards is to finance a short trip to Schweitzer.

Thanks.

Canada Post charges the import duty/tax plus a flat fee of $10 or $20.  Well, if they ever start delivering mail again...

UPS and FedEx charge the same import duty/tax plus a fee that would make most organized crime bosses blush.  

You'll still get reamed if you ship it to the US. Your best bet is to ship it to someone in Euroland and have them resend it to you or at least to a courier broker with you declaring the value.

However, one thing to note is that you should not be charged VAT which in Norway is a whopping 25%. 

So  do the math and see which is more financially prudent.

Thanks Guys.

Found a duty calculator online.  Shipped to Canada will cost about $360 CDN, shipped to the US will be $387 USD!  

I will have to buy the board through a US retailer, and they'll ship free anywhere in the US.  It'll take longer, but I save a lot and will be able to justify that trip to Schweitzer...

• Like 1

Thanks Rus,

This is a rare board with only one retailer on this continent...  Plus, they're offering me 10% off for a pre-order.

It's gonna take a few weeks at least.  Hopefully you guys will have some snow by then and my new Thirst will be ready for pickup.

This is the outcome I wanted.  It's a little slower, but way cheaper.  Plus, now I'm committed to riding those perfect winch groomed black diamonds with you guys again...  I keep dreaming about those...  

James

• Like 1

Careful on that thing.  It's kind of a rite of passage to crash a Furberg on your first run...   

It's a different kind of ride, takes some getting used to.  But nothing gives me more confidence in steep tight trees and chutes.  Kind of weird on the groom though.  Do you have the white one with the 18m sidecut?  You'll love it!  (In pow.)

Come to Revelstoke for the RACES, powder boards see a lot of use here...

Haha yes the owner told me that. Guess I love trying new boards. New approach.  

Yes the white. I think the new FR isn't 164 or I may be mistaken.

Which one are you getting? The guy that sold me this one was getting the split.

Would absolutely love to go to Revelstoke one day. You got it good over there. 

Edited by Poloturbo

It only takes a few runs to adapt but go easy at first and pay attention getting off the lift.

I'm getting the split 160 freeride.  The new blue one with 13m sidecut.  Should ride a bit more "normal".

Been riding the white solid 168 freeride for a couple of seasons.  Unbeatable for gnarly terrain and chop, not my first choice for fresh open bowls and I still avoid groomers on the Furberg.

The RACES is January 25th to February 10th 2019.  Free accommodation 300m from the gondola.  See details in the Carve Sessions section.