Note to New Members ×

Boot liner choice for RC 10 UPZ and sizing

Kmf

"Hi all,

I'm trying to decide which liners will work in my UPZ RC10’s. I’m an all mountain rider and not looking for something too stiff. 

Any suggestions?

Also, I bought these a few years ago and don’t remember the size. The outside shell reads 8,5 / 9,5   291 / 312 mm. My foot size is  about 27.5.

What size liner do I need.?

Thanks!

Edited by Kmf

34 minutes ago, pokkis said:

It depends, one might get it to smaller boot, or not.

By UPZ table that is correct size but cöose to edge

file.php?id=961

I found conflicting information on upzboots.com the NA distributor:

14A54116-6531-4481-8E53-5B6A773D8243.png.df6c90c6fa642834a3aee8c5fd9a881c.png

this image is dated to 2013.

In any case, the best optim for OP to check fit is put foot into shell and do the shell fit, stick toe to the frontmost of the boot and check how many fingers between heel and back of boot(fingers on top of each other not side by side)

Then determine if he needs a low volume or large volume liner, it then wouldnt be something like us talkign about conflicting sizes. For this i will refer to Intuition for this information:

https://intuitionliners.com/choosing-a-liner-model/

If the boot shell is indeed too small or big than the information from the above link, sell and buy anothe shell?

18 minutes ago, daveo said:

I think if you need to know anything about any liner in the universe, you could ask @barryj.

Alternatively, I recommend Palau overlaps. Dual Fit Rockfoot for me.

hey daveo :)

• Like 1

Liners come in different thicknesses... and the difference in thickness can be in many different areas.

I'm going to go with @Sintered Man's suggestion that those shells are too large for you.  I use the same size shell as you own and my foot is 293 mm and I still have more than a fingers width (~1.5) doing a shell test.  

IF you insist on wearing those shells you will most likely  need a high volume liner.  BUT your foot could be as wide as the planet or have some other issue, which means you should seek out a competent bootfitter ASAP!

56 minutes ago, pauleleven said:

I found conflicting information on upzboots.com the NA distributor:

14A54116-6531-4481-8E53-5B6A773D8243.png.df6c90c6fa642834a3aee8c5fd9a881c.png

this image is dated to 2013.

In any case, the best optim for OP to check fit is put foot into shell and do the shell fit, stick toe to the frontmost of the boot and check how many fingers between heel and back of boot(fingers on top of each other not side by side)

Then determine if he needs a low volume or large volume liner, it then wouldnt be something like us talkign about conflicting sizes. For this i will refer to Intuition for this information:

https://intuitionliners.com/choosing-a-liner-model/

If the boot shell is indeed too small or big than the information from the above link, sell and buy anothe shell?

hey daveo 🙂

I know both tables and they have created confusion years, but linked by me looks to be valid one 

4 minutes ago, pokkis said:

I know both tables and they have created confusion years, but linked by me looks to be valid one 

In any case I'd just go with shell fit if the lining proves to be poop when I get mine in two weeks 🙂

When ordering I went with size 260 and they gave me a 287 shell

Edited by pauleleven

As said when ever you are on edge, or do some boot fitting, then also smaller size will fit.

It is pain when one shell will cover 1.5cm size, and not like in Deeluxe on 1.0cm size, sometimes you are lucky and your foot is in upper side of range and you get smaller shell, if unlucky then you need to get larger size. Good luck with your boots.

Edited by pokkis

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Here’s the deal,

i have an older pair of scarpa powerwraps that are 295 mp. They seem too large for the shell, I have to shove them in with all my might to get them in and it’s almost impossible getting them out to dry them. They seem to have way too much volume for the shell and take up lots of space,length and width wise. 

The finger test is about 1 1/2 finger (maybe I’m bigger than 27.5, I’ll recheck). 

51 minutes ago, Kmf said:

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Here’s the deal,

i have an older pair of scarpa powerwraps that are 295 mp. They seem too large for the shell, I have to shove them in with all my might to get them in and it’s almost impossible getting them out to dry them. They seem to have way too much volume for the shell and take up lots of space,length and width wise. 

The finger test is about 1 1/2 finger (maybe I’m bigger than 27.5, I’ll recheck). 

So just a normal medium volume liner for your exact mondo size should do the trick.

Me: Likes softer boots, 28 cm foot, size 9 / 312mm UPZ RC10.  I really like the Intuition Alpine liner in a size 28.  The padding is dense to hold your heel down and keep the foot from touching the shell, but is not stiff in bending so you rely on the outer shell's stiffness only.  

I did NOT like the Deeluxe red/firm/141(not sure if that's right) liner.  The shin padding was too soft for me, I bottomed my shin bone (I do have chicken legs) against the shell through both layers of foam.  

My foot measures 28.2 cm. I can’t get by with Nike running shoes smaller than US size 12.5. No way can I shoehorn my foot into a 27 shell whether UPZ or Deeluxe, a 29 is too big in either,  therefore I settled on UPZ RC8 size 28 with highly modified Deeluxe 131 size 28 liners and I am finally a happy camper and have good heel hold down which I couldn’t get with Deeluxe. 

Thanks to all for the help. I definitely think a 28 will work better than the 29.5, even though I used it. It feels like 5 pounds of bologna in a 2 pound bag.

the intuition alpine migh be an option. I’ve tried deeluxe boots and they’re a no go with my wide toe box, I assume the liners will be similar. I just don’t want to buy something online and have it not work.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same foot size as you (27.5+) and switched from the indy/deeluxe 700s in size 27/27.5 which were extremely narrow for my foot and a little on the short side.  As the chart says, UPZ actually has 2 sizes for three sizes in the deeluxe and you are right in the middle, same as I was, you should definitely be able to make the UPZ work in the smaller size as long as your ankles aren't massive.  

For a couple of seasons I managed with the larger UPZ boot, and with a moulded liner I could maintain heel hold, but it is never great feeling in slightly too big boot as a slightly too small boot.  I would recommend you switch to the 299mm size and run the intuition liner or Palau in size 27/27.5.  Last season I switched to the newer UPZ model with the tongue that hinges out to the side, and it's a lot better; depending on the snow (in Hokkaido we sometimes get quite deep powder) I ride the red tongue in knee deep or choppy snow, and for groomers the std tongue.

I am currently using the tongue liner that comes with the boot which is quite ok, but not fantastic, personally I find the wrap around intuition/Palau moulded liners better for 5 reasons: fit better, warmer, substantially lighter, the tongue doesn't slide out to the side, the boot flex ends up slightly softer (good for me, your experience may vary).

Edited by kipstar

1 hour ago, kipstar said:

ide the red tongue in knee deep or choppy snow, and for groomers the std tongue.

I'm thinking of getting a red tongue, for this purpose, also. How do the RC10 go in powder and other messed up snow with the red tongue? How would you compare it to the black tongue in those conditions, for instance? 

• 3 weeks later...

For powder the red tongues are definitely better IMHO, especially once it gets to knee deep you need a bit more flexibility especially at lower speed, and the red tongues are good for that, otherwise it really is putting a lot of load on your rear quad, in choppy snow similar.   The easy thing is it is a small investment but noticeably softens the boot, ideal for early season, weaker legs, slower speeds or much softer snow.

For carving snow and powerring into turns, though even when choppy I've tended to find the black tongues work better especially riding at higher speed, and at higher speed also the red tongues are a bit more work as they have less support, so you end up having to work harder in your feet to keep the board on edge. 

That's just my experience, my strength isn't what it used to be as I don't really do any weights work these days pre season, just cycling so my leg fitness is great but I don't have anaerobic power like I did before.

• Thanks 1