Note to New Members ×

Friday night in Flushing, NY - what to do?

Corey

It looks like I might be sitting in a hotel next Friday evening in Flushing, NY with nothing to do.  What's a guy to do?

• I don't do the bar scene.   
  • Getting mugged isn't high on my 'to do' list.  

What would you do with an evening in NY?  

talk about when 2 worlds collide lol...

I saw Flushing on Snowboard forum WTF?  the sub-reddit are leaking!!
Where are you staying?  Sheraton?  How long will you be in town?  just the night?

You shouldn't worry about getting mugged.

It's not too far from "the city" by 7 train or LIRR(long island rail road) both take you to Mid-town area.
Then it's the NYC things to do.

Flushing "attraction":  not really something you go out of your way just to visit.

Shea Stadium is pretty close by:  Mets Game if baseball are your thing.

Hall of science/World's faire ground/USTA US Open.

Queens botanical garden

But when I think Flushing I think food.  You will think you are in Asia.  the population density is higher than NYC

Cheap food -- I always LOVE the so called peasant food.  Making a cheap cut piece of meat taste great is what cooking is all about.   

It is amazing in the Area:  Mostly Chinese -- Taiwanese: Stinky Tofu ?  good Korean restaurant as well.  Asis country food court is a good way to sample the cuisine.

Some notable Queens neighborhood:

Jackson Height is also near if you like India food.

LIC/Astoria -- great food scene -- Greek/Mediterranean food.

• Like 1

Awesome!  Got it, show up hungry...  

Like all work trip lotteries, I'm not really sure of my schedule.  Now I might be there Thursday night and going home Friday afternoon.  

Either way, I'll give you a call pow4ever!  

I second pow4ever's recommendations for making this a food trip if you are strictly sticking around Flushing. Definitely a lot of very authentic Chinese/ Taiwanese food everywhere, and Korean food / KBBQ around Northern Blvd / Murray Hill area in Flushing. Otherwise, Flushing Meadows Corona Park (1964/65 World's Fair ground) and the Botanical Garden are located there too.

However, I would probably hop on the 7 train (purple line), which takes you directly into midtown Manhattan (stopping at Grand Central Station, Bryant Park, Times Square, and Hudson Yards/ Highline in Manhattan) and explore The City. 

2 hours ago, pow4ever said:

talk about when 2 worlds collide lol...

I saw Flushing on Snowboard forum WTF?  the sub-reddit are leaking!!
Where are you staying?  Sheraton?  How long will you be in town?  just the night?

You shouldn't worry about getting mugged.

It's not too far from "the city" by 7 train or LIRR(long island rail road) both take you to Mid-town area.
Then it's the NYC things to do.

Flushing "attraction":  not really something you go out of your way just to visit.

Shea Stadium is pretty close by:  Mets Game if baseball are your thing.

Hall of science/World's faire ground/USTA US Open.

Queens botanical garden

But when I think Flushing I think food.  You will think you are in Asia.  the population density is higher than NYC

Cheap food -- I always LOVE the so called peasant food.  Making a cheap cut piece of meat taste great is what cooking is all about.   

It is amazing in the Area:  Mostly Chinese -- Taiwanese: Stinky Tofu ?  good Korean restaurant as well.  Asis country food court is a good way to sample the cuisine.

Some notable Queens neighborhood:

Jackson Height is also near if you like India food.

LIC/Astoria -- great food scene -- Greek/Mediterranean food.

Agree with everything here. No need to worry about getting mugged in NYC, it is (overall/mostly): ridiculously safe/gentrified. If you do make it out to Astoria, I can recommend some good places there:

Taverna Kyclades is a standard for Greek food.

There is a very unique Egyptian place called Mombar that is tiny, excellent, and unusual.

Locale has great food, and it's a wonderful restaurant though there are more culturally interesting options thereabouts.

There are a bunch of nice places on Vernon Blvd in LIC, which is a hop-skip from NYC. There are places *near* this area that are maybe not the best for solo adventures at night.

If you head into Manhattan some of my favorites (in good neighborhoods for wandering) are: In Vino (wine bar but great food), Ed's Lobster Bar (if you like fish), The Cornelia Street Cafe (comfort food), Edie and the Wolf (Austrian), Bell Book & Candle, Izakaya 10, The Place ... that said: I have't lived in NY for like 6 years so any of these places may have gone to shit or been replaced by high-rise condos. If you're headed into Manhattan (or anywhere in ny really) you can't go wrong filtering nymag's restaurant by "critics pick" — that's a pretty reliable source for good places to try.

http://nymag.com/srch?t=restaurant&N=265+336+69&No=0&Ns=nyml_sort_name|0

Also : There are often museum nights going on in the city, different museums on different nights. Crowded but fun and worth looking into. They also have outdoor films throughout the city in the summer but those probably haven't started happening yet.

If you are in Manhattan and need some exercise, there are decent bikes for rent all around Central PK, all hours (not Citibikes). Laps in Cpark are 6 miles +\-.   Only cars are cops, etc...... I do this whenever I am there because I do not go to bars and I find it to be very relaxing.  $20 or $25 well spent.   Never mugged in NYC, myself.

Baltimore, on the other hand.........l

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions!  

It's now looking like all of my 'free' time is booked up with customer or supplier meetings.  Talk about first-world problems: I'm going to have to work for my entire work trip!