Note to New Members ×

Softboot BSL and bootout

JRAZZ

I figure that hijacking the Drake Podium thread for boot sizes is not ideal.

So let's take out the tape measure and post the results here! Please add boot size, riding angles, and waist width so we can correlate to bootout.

I used a straight edge and a 90 degree angle. Put the boots against the wall and measured BSL.

Results are as follows:

1) 2013 Burton Driver X size 10. BSL = 31cm. 

2) 2015 Burton Imperials size 10. BSL = 30.8cm.

3) 2018 Ride Insanos size 10. BSL = 31cm.

My usual angles are 27/9 and with a 25.5 wide board I get minimal bootout. Yes they overhang a bit but I don't feel that they drag too much.

Vans implant 2016 size 11US BSL = 31cm
Vans Infuse pat moore 2017 size 11US BSL = 31cm
Vans implant 2018 size 11US BSL = 31cm

I did have 32 prime i never measured them due to warrantying two pairs in 4months  but im pretty sure they were roughly the same BSL as above maybe 5mm longer at most

Angles are 27/3 mild duck on 27.5cm waist board I get a bit of boot out but i just deal with it though i'm looking to go wider on my next board

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Poloturbo said:

Looks like the enormous Malamutes in 

11us or 29MP  BSL=32.1cm

No wonder I boot out.

Good to know as i have considered malamutes since i can get them cheap through a friend whos a rep for aunt sally

measured my old Vans low standard boots 11.5US BSL=34cm:freak3: These are from the old factory in 2014 ive seen newer ones and they do seem to have a much smaller BSL but i wouldn't recommend them to anyone there way to soft and floppy for anything other than jib kids and folk learning how to snowboard.

The Malamutes are very good stiff boots. Didn't try the Burton X put always had Salomon shoes and the fit is really good. The boots are like slippers so comfortable. Had a great deal for 210$ early season new. Not bad.

The 29mp doesn't boot out on the soul 159xt with 33/18 angles

Edited by Poloturbo

11 hours ago, Poloturbo said:

Looks like the enormous Malamutes in 

11us or 29MP  BSL=32.1cm

No wonder I boot out.

What year are these? 

Maybe when we supply the measurements we should mention the year, as they may change the shell over the years...

• Like 1

My old boots were the Nitros. They fit me very snugly but I would never claim they were comfortable. I've only ridden the Talons twice. I have narrow feet so it is hard to get boots sufficiently tight without having my toes crunched. Since the Talons are size 10 and the Nitros are 9s, the Talons seem very roomy. My early reaction was that they were too loose. However I notice that when I ride I (unintentionally) clench my toes. When I get to the liftline, I'm aware of this and ask myself "why am I doing this?" (it serves no purpose). So, I'm trying to relax in the Talons. Once I get over the "roomy" feeling, they are the most comfortable boot (ski/hardboot/soft boot) that I have ever worn. As softboots go, I think they are pretty stiff. I'm riding them with the new Flow NX2 bindings. These are the 2nd pair of Flow bindings I've had. The bindings are OK but still not that easy to get into. 

I found the boots on Amazon as "Used - Like New" for only about $160. I can't tell that they were ever out of the box before. 

So far bottom line: I like them. 

On 3/17/2018 at 2:53 PM, erazz said:

My usual angles are 27/9 and with a 25.5 wide board I get minimal bootout. Yes they overhang a bit but I don't feel that they drag too much.

It depends on how far over you want to tilt the board.  Yes you can carve a 25.5cm wide board with 31cm long boots, but only up to a point.  If you want to do fully laid out carves, you are going to boot out. 

I am very far away from fully laid out  carves :)

You can see it by the numbers. My boots are 31cm long. 9 degrees doesn’t change the side to side length significantly. 

To have the boots fully on the board you would have to go full Knapton and get a 31(ish) wide board.

However, mere mortals that can’t go as low can get by with narrower boards. For me right now standard width (with risers) is perfectly sufficient. 

Actually I’m rethinking my stance as I’m finding out that I like to face more forward and my new boots seem to support that better.