Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Skibowl - Worth it?

MNSurfer

Hello,

I'm working in the east-side of Portland (Gresham?), this week. I'm half-tempted to drag-along the gear, as it looks like Skibowl is about 56-minutes away. I was thinking of hitting that up for some night skiing, one or two days this week.

Anyway, I've never ridden in Oregon (just the cold, frozen north). How is it? Would it be worth the trouble? I see there are other places around, but that's about as far as I'd want to drive, I think.

Thanks!

-Brian

Hi Brian,  Ski Bowl is worth it.   I used to ride there often before I moved to Missoula.  Don't use your turn signal when pulling into the parking lot to avoid drawing attention to everyone else heading to Timberline or Meadows...haha    I think its a gem.   It has the best night skiing on Hood and the crowds are usually not bad.   I miss it!   Its more of a 45 minute drive from Gresham too. 

Let us know what you think of it.  Id be interested to know.

Ed

Be careful, working in Gresham...:eek:

With sufficient snow, Ski Bowl can be great.  Decent enough carving in the Lower Bowl (slow lifts give me a lot of time to recover), and superb steeps and trees in the Upper Bowl.  The problem so far this season, as Keenan indicated, is a lack of snow.  They still haven't been able to open the Upper Bowl, and the Lower is pretty thin.

Timberline or Mt Hood Meadows would be a better bet this coming week, and each are only another ~20 minutes from Ski Bowl, depending on traffic.

Chiming in to agree with the low snow comments. To top it off, they're calling for rain on Thursday even higher up on the mountain - this is the forecast for Mt. Hood Meadows: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-121.6688576341901&lat=45.34194381514135#.WDRQ3dg76f0

Timberline doesn't show rain in the forecast, but they are claiming snow on Thursday at 40 degrees...I guess that could happen (?)

Personally I probably wouldn't bring the gear for the conditions we have if you're just contemplating a session or two of night riding.