Note to New Members ×

Advice sought, trying to make a come back

Eboot

2 hours ago, BlueB said:

OP, are you planning to have only one board for all conditions, or a small quiver? 

If only one, I'd actually look into a metal alpine all-mountain, like Coilers AMT or wider Nirvana, or Donek metal AX... They still freecarve great, yet perform when the conditions are choppy, bumpy or a bit of pow... 

Hi BlueB

Initially it would be my primary board from a budget perspective.  I will still have my existing Nidecker 172 GS.  Over time however I would like to get a small quiver: all mountain, short and long.  I don’t get to see powder enough to consider that in the short term.  I currently also have a Burton Stat 6 and a Cocoon code 171. Suggestions?

Eboot,

your situatation reminds me of some years ago when i hadn't rode for a while ,with early years of parenthood.  I purchased a used Donek axes which was similar to the board I was riding years before.   Great board for my favorite mountain ,Mt Snow.    I used take my girls out of school while they were younger and ride during the week.  No crowds and some great groomed runs for carving.  

27 minutes ago, billyt. said:

Eboot,

your situatation reminds me of some years ago when i hadn't rode for a while ,with early years of parenthood.  I purchased a used Donek axes which was similar to the board I was riding years before.   Great board for my favorite mountain ,Mt Snow.    I used take my girls out of school while they were younger and ride during the week.  No crowds and some great groomed runs for carving.  

Hey billyt 

great times and I wouldn’t change them.  I am however looking forward to getting back out regularly.  I assume that times have changed and that you are out regularly now?

Just go to Okemo I guess.

My best memories of this mountain in the autumn of 2015. 

I was driving a full modded Porsche 911 turbo 1987 (930 for illiterate)

Full on big exhaust/turbo/turbo spring and Wastgate for around 350whp for 2850 pounds.).

I drove numerous racing cars and man that motherfucker was amazing if you know how to power oversteer and keep on the pedal down with that lag.

Mannnnn

It's crazy off topic sorry. A bit nostalgic when seeing Okemo.  We blasted the mountain with my car . I got a video of it. Amazing...from the bottom to summit hardcore driving rally style. 

The guy at the summit was in is cabin and said are you fucking crazy. It' not a race course...I agree with him. But nobody could keep up with me... LOL. I'm guilty. Will never rally drift a aircooled turbo car climbing a mountain in my life again.

Because of health reason sold it all. Pretty bum about it but life as treacerous ways some time. 

Sorry waaaaaaaaaaay offffffff topic.

Be safe...

20171129_120214.jpg

attachment.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eboot said:

Hi BlueB

Initially it would be my primary board from a budget perspective.  I will still have my existing Nidecker 172 GS.  Over time however I would like to get a small quiver: all mountain, short and long.  I don’t get to see powder enough to consider that in the short term.  I currently also have a Burton Stat 6 and a Cocoon code 171. Suggestions?

Well, you've got your old GS/freecarve boards already, that you can ride for now and replace later. I'd start from a nice modern all mountsinish board as the backbone of the quiver and build from there. Maybe a nice 21 wide Nirvana from Coiler? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlueB said:

Well, you've got your old GS/freecarve boards already, that you can ride for now and replace later. I'd start from a nice modern all mountsinish board as the backbone of the quiver and build from there. Maybe a nice 21 wide Nirvana from Coiler? 

Thanx - suggestion noted

29 minutes ago, billyt. said:

Eboot.  Get an all mountain board to ride everywhere.  Then get a metal board for days when it is good.  Will be riding at MT Snow this Monday and Tuesday!!!

Thanx.  I have been looking at WhiteHorse’s Prior 4WD 163, not sure about the length tho.  Is metal a consideration for an all mountain?

Enjoy your time at Mt Snow.  I leave for Spain / Canary Islands on 12/26 for 2 weeks, no snow but wind and waves.  

18 hours ago, BlueB said:

BlueB: what length would you recommend for the Nirvana?

You are just like me ^, except the boot size. 

If you wanted that Nirvana to be a high speed carver that can handle softer snow, some chop and bust through mini moguls, I'd go 174x21, regular flex. But if the real all-mountain riding is intended (bigger moguls, some trees, ocassional spin through the park, etc., I'd pick a 167, 22-23 wide and mellowest flex that Bruce would build for your weight and tight scr... 

• Like 1

On 13/12/2017 at 7:08 PM, Eboot said:

I returned to South Africa in 97 with a Nidecker Extreme GS 172 and Raichle 125s which I am still using.  

I've just realized this part! Where about you lived? I lived in Pretoria 1992-97 an in Joburg 1997-2003. 

I went to Tiffindel for nationals every year from late 90s... I skied back then. 

2 minutes ago, BlueB said:

I've just realized this part! Where about you lived? I lived in Pretoria 1992-97 an in Joburg 1997-2003. 

I went to Tiffindel for nationals every year from late 90s... I skied back then. 

LOL!!! I left joburg in 93, returned to Cape Town in 97.  After Switzerland Tiffendal never appealed on my return and I have never been there, for shame!

what were you doing in SA and where in Joburg did you stay?

40 minutes ago, Eboot said:

LOL!!! I left joburg in 93, returned to Cape Town in 97.  After Switzerland Tiffendal never appealed on my return and I have never been there, for shame!

what were you doing in SA and where in Joburg did you stay?

I had a house at Sunninghill, on the cliffs bordering Bedfordview. 

I moved to RSA when the civil war started in my native Yugoslavia. I worked in the boat industry for a short while, then moved to signage/outdoor advertising, was the design director at Natanya Signs / Outdoor (Ponte building sign) and eventually had my own consulting firm. 

I'm a sailor too btw, I know the most of Capetownian core crew from America's Cup "Shoholoza" challenge... 

Tiffindel, hehe, not much of a ski resort, but still the best in Southern Africa ;) There I've witnessed the rawdiest on snow and apre-ski behaviour, ever :) 

• LOL 1

18 hours ago, Eboot said:

Adding some missing info:

6 foot, 185 lb, mondo 28.5

Same specs as me!  :)

What I have in my quiver:

- F2 Silberpfeil 172, 12m sidecut, 18.5cm waist, freecarve board: Good board, quick edge change but to narrow for my taste... Good on hard show.

- Coiler Nirvana Energy 170, 11m VSR, 20.5cm waist, .3 Titanal Metal, freecarve board: Great and fun board, turns on a dime, tail has a nice pop, you can easily jump from edge to edge, great board when the slodes are crowded...

- Coiler ExtremeCarver 175, 13/14m VSR, 22cm waist, .3 Titanal Metal, Extreme carving board: My main goto board, long, wide, super stable and fun everywhere...

Others:

Nidecker ExtremeSL 60, 160cm, 20cm waist, 10m sidecut, SL board: To stiff and to short scr, not used anymore...

Swoard Extreme Carver PRO 175, 23cm waist, 13m scr, Metal Extreme Carving board from Switzerland: Loaned by a friend, great EC Board, scr a bit short for my taste...

F2 Speedster RS 183, 16m scr RS Race board: Loaned by a friend, didn't try it yet...

Talk to Bruce at Coiler.com, he is a great builder and you get a good deal with the US/CAN exchange rate!

Edited by Technick

3 hours ago, Technick said:

Same specs as me!  :)

What I have in my quiver:

- F2 Silberpfeil 172, 12m sidecut, 18.5cm waist, freecarve board: Good board, quick edge change but to narrow for my taste... Good on hard show.

- Coiler Nirvana Energy 170, 11m VSR, 20.5cm waist, .3 Titanal Metal, freecarve board: Great and fun board, turns on a dime, tail has a nice pop, you can easily jump from edge to edge, great board when the slodes are crowded...

- Coiler ExtremeCarver 175, 13/14m VSR, 22cm waist, .3 Titanal Metal, Extreme carving board: My main goto board, long, wide, super stable and fun everywhere...

Others:

Nidecker ExtremeSL 60, 160cm, 20cm waist, 10m sidecut, SL board: To stiff and to short scr, not used anymore...

Swoard Extreme Carver PRO 175, 23cm waist, 13m scr, Metal Extreme Carving board from Switzerland: Loaned by a friend, great EC Board, scr a bit short for my taste...

F2 Speedster RS 183, 16m scr RS Race board: Loaned by a friend, didn't try it yet...

Talk to Bruce at Coiler.com, he is a great builder and you get a good deal with the US/CAN exchange rate!

Thanx Technick

On 12/15/2017 at 1:47 AM, Poloturbo said:

Just go to Okemo I guess.

My best memories of this mountain in the autumn of 2015. 

I was driving a full modded Porsche 911 turbo 1987 (930 for illiterate)

Full on big exhaust/turbo/turbo spring and Wastgate for around 350whp for 2850 pounds.).

I drove numerous racing cars and man that motherfucker was amazing if you know how to power oversteer and keep on the pedal down with that lag.

Mannnnn

It's crazy off topic sorry. A bit nostalgic when seeing Okemo.  We blasted the mountain with my car . I got a video of it. Amazing...from the bottom to summit hardcore driving rally style. 

The guy at the summit was in is cabin and said are you fucking crazy. It' not a race course...I agree with him. But nobody could keep up with me... LOL. I'm guilty. Will never rally drift a aircooled turbo car climbing a mountain in my life again.

Because of health reason sold it all. Pretty bum about it but life as treacerous ways some time. 

Sorry waaaaaaaaaaay offffffff topic.

Be safe...

Sup, fellow Porschephile.  I drive a 944S.  Nice 930.

send 5437.jpg

send 5307.jpg

• Like 1