Note to New Members ×

I saw that reply... Well, getting chased outa SV's awesome glades (so, so, so much easier than , say, Magic or Ascutney!) was a pisser... But, then, Riding in ARNIE's BACKYARD (literally, in his Back Yard, but Starting from US Protected Land;Hike Routing counts!!) and Walking the 200 yds. onto 'private land' of my Hosts... Yeah, t'was a nice '"Give me Liberty" moment!!

• 3 months later...

I have yet to take up my new Nomad, so no review from me yet... Not enuf snow here. Been riding my older Malolo on the occasional "new-snow" days, but I blew the edge off it by making a stupid choice. Chose to take a line where it was too thin, and hit a band of rocks. Killed the edge, tearing it out completely, and hammering the base. It is retired. If things make a dramatic swing and we get more snow I may venture out on the Nomad, but hoping to score a replacement rock-board like a Malolo or other in the mean time. I have my feelers out in classified section. Hope your winter is going awesome. We are having fun here in Sun Valley. Got a little more white stuff the other night, and hoping for more on Saturday. Best, Lamby

• 4 weeks later...

5ab43718b9e40_180322newnomadandf2bindings.thumb.jpg.298e62869611f24a01d3b03c80e73dad.jpg

We got some fresh snow over night - 5 inches on the Sun Valley bald mountain snow-stake in the morning, so I decided to finally give my new Nomad 164 a go. I had a blast. Compared to other powder boards I ride it was very different, and a lot of fun. My go-to powder boards have been an older Burton Malolo and an older Burton Fish. I have really enjoyed riding powder with these decks. They have sidecut radii of around 7m I think, and they are very easy to ride, but very turny. Getting off the mountain at the end of a tiring powder day can take patience, and is tiring. I find I have to do a lot of smaller turns in order to stay in control, and for me, in order to keep speed in check.

My Donek Nomad has a progressive sidecut radius that goes from 7 at the tip, to 12 at the tail. First run, I fell over right away - I was going too slow and I leaned over and back - into that larger sidecut radius. I tipped over. It wants to go faster before being tipped on edge:-) After that I started to get the hang of it, but it is always an adventure getting on a new board - a learning experience, so to speak.

Early on I was finding that the board wanted to go pretty fast, and it took me some time to learn to ride it more slowly, and to finesse my turns more. You can go slow and engage the tip and it turns more aggressively. Like any new board, or like any new equipment, it takes me time to adjust to the feel of a new system. In a while I was really finding the sweet spot and having so much fun. It snowed all day, (but was rain in the valley). Up on top, where we stayed all day, we ended up with 13 inches of new snow on the stake by days end - they just cleared it, and its still dumping up there.

5ab43686bfd4d_180322svsnowstake408pm.jpg.5a8bcc34aa9b2a9929acf2411616e3df.jpg

I found that the board really excels in open bowls and places where you might happen upon a sheet of untracked steepness for a bit. The lights were pretty much out all day, but a little later in the day the light got a little better. This opened up some nice untracked shots on some of the runs that had been too foggy to invite traffic earlier. It was really fun turning it loose for some fast huge sweeping turns.

In my experience powder boards tend to be a little squirrly on cat-tracks and flats. I found my Nomad to pretty hard for me to get comfortable on when hitting the cat tracks and run-ins to the lifts (and exiting the lifts today, for that matter - huge wind drifts and stumbly conditions for this guy) It makes sense, cause I often ride a soft all-mountain alpine boards - a board that is forgiving on cat-tracks, and for skating around with. All that said, my Nomad was really fun leaving the resort today. Conditions sort of sucked as I dropped lower into the rain, but I was having a hoot railing some carved turns on some of the less hit groomers, and having little difficulty with areas of chop and wet crud.

I was also on new F2 titanium bindings today. Really liked them, and like how easy they are to adjust for tightness. I set the bindings up on the board in a stance that appeared to me to be biased a bit more toward the back of the board. Stance width was around 19.5 inches wide. I will stay with that width, but plan on moving both bindings forward one step each. I felt like I was weighting my front leg a lot with the stance I had it. I will set it forward with the intention of allowing for a more balanced stance (more of my weight on my rear leg when riding pow).

Edited by lamby
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, lamby said:

In my experience powder boards tend to be a little squirrly on cat-tracks and flats.

What is your base bevel at?

I agree with your impression of the Nomad. Great in powder. big foldy nose makes it a rubbish carver unless you feel like riding in the backseat. I don't. But I got mine to be an exclusive hardboot resort powder board and for some trees, which it does perfectly.

Hi daveo, Not sure what base bevel is set at. Its a new board, so its the factory tune. Not sure what its set at, but maybe a bit more base bevel would help me out? It doesn't really feel like it is going to hook up and catch on cat tracks, just seems a little more like I'm in the backseat a bit I guess.

I'll be riding mine in resort powder too, and it is going to be a pleasure to have my Nomad at my fingertips. If I ever get the chance I'd like to try the next size or two down. The sidecut on a stock 159 and 154 look intriguing. 7 to 11, and 7 to 10 respectively.

I just found my Nomad to be fine but I beveled the base at 0.5deg. I do that to every board these days. Also the edges on my Nomad from factory were VERY rough. But that's to be expected.

Any board I have ridden without doing my base edge I always found to be a bit squirrelly or catchy or a bit funny. So now I just do them all prior to riding. Not sure if that helps or not, maybe give it a shot? Base beast bevel guide is only 20bux.