Note to New Members ×

Currency climbing

lowrider

2 hours ago, pow4ever said:

Nice.  Maybe it will be a record turn out for our Northern Neighbor @ ATC2018 :-)

And NICE! :)

However, I am selfishly sad that Canada is no longer a bargain -- or at least, not as much of a bargain. 

Thanks Eric - I have not seen Mig in action (cue a google session) but sounds like you think his boards should be burly enough for us more "genetically robust" folk :) and great value to boot. I've always wanted a Swallowtail; could be time to bite the bullet and damn the torpedoes.....

• Like 1

I have been stalking those Hammerhead 171s myself - opposite question from me though, are they OK for lightweights? I'm about 155-160 pounds and would probably ride it with hardboots. 

Edited by Dan
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

So, Dan, how Soft is that Cascade Cement?? ;-) Seriously, if you're using hardboots, I don't think you'll have issues in-bounds on-edge, but chop might make ya dance an odd jig. In Sacred Pow, length is often a better thing, so a 171 H-head is a nice size, should float you quite nicely!

Haha - well, it depends! It's not always cement, and even when it is, sometimes it's bottomless. I'm looking to replace a 168 Osin 3800 -- it has a cracked core, and even though it seems to ride OK and I can't feel anything off when I hand flex it, I think I should quit pushing my luck with it.

Definitely pow riding is one priority for the replacement, but I'll also be using it on in-between days, like 3"-4" of fresh, when a carving deck is sketchy and I want to be able to take advantage of windblown stashes. I'm not too worried about the flex being too firm on groomers --like a video camera, I figure hardboots add at least 20 pounds on-piste -- just wondering if it could be a little stiff as a pow ride for me. It sounds like you're happy with yours? 

• Like 1

Dan

I've often thought a board that was soft longitudinally (i.e front to back) but with good torsional stiffness would be ideal for exactly the circumstances you describe. Not sure if that is actually possible from a manufacturing standpoint, but I would be interested to know.

• Like 1

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎28 at 5:44 PM, Lurch said:

Hey Mig what is the weight range for the 171 H/head?

No weight range really. I would qualify the flex as mid-stiff when ridden in softboots. I have all kinds of body shapes and weights on it, from a girl to myself (exxxxxtremely heavy).

14 hours ago, Dan said:

I have been stalking those Hammerhead 171s myself - opposite question from me though, are they OK for lightweights? I'm about 155-160 pounds and would probably ride it with hardboots. 

In the following video, the rider is a bit lighter than you Dan (140-145), and riding in softboots. It should give you a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQoO0W_U3gI

• Like 1

Thanks Mig! I've seen that video before but didn't realize that guy was that light, he rides like a welterweight at least :-)

When you ship boards to the US, how is Customs working out? Are customers paying import duties? (Hmm, I should ask Oldsnowboards, I probably should have ordered at the same time as him in the first place.)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dan said:

Thanks Mig! I've seen that video before but didn't realize that guy was that light, he rides like a welterweight at least :-)

When you ship boards to the US, how is Customs working out? Are customers paying import duties? (Hmm, I should ask Oldsnowboards, I probably should have ordered at the same time as him in the first place.)

Yeah, Louis is tall but kind of skinny... :) 

There has not been any import duties up to now thanks to NAFTA. Most goods made in the US and Canada can be imported by both countries without  them.  We ship all boards with the proper paperwork for it. But Mr. Trump is working hard to destroy this, so it might change soon.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mig said:

Yeah, Louis is tall but kind of skinny... :) 

Scrawny... Quick on his feet, too!

As for flex overall, I can see this board bending enough while carving. My only gripe with stiffer boards in Pow in when trolling slowly thru trees/bumps, or when the nose sinks. I didn't see the nose 'dive' badly (granted, it didn't 'bend up' like the hinge-nose of an O-Sin SWT, but only my 'Obsession' did That, more gently..) , so I think Dan will be happy 80% of the time, though crusty windpack (thinking of east-side of Mt Adams; yikes) might be ugly(?). 

As for Lurch's idea on flex, the capped '98-'01 Tankers did have the nicest flex length-wise, Volkl cores, and in the 'smalls' (162/167/172/177) were of a capped construction. They were amazing, good enough for me to put the R/A Obsession aside for a few years, even on powder days.

IMHO, I'd bet both Lurch and Dan would be quite happy on this Fullbag.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

As for flex overall, I can see this board bending enough while carving. My only gripe with stiffer boards in Pow in when trolling slowly thru trees/bumps, or when the nose sinks. I didn't see the nose 'dive' badly (granted, it didn't 'bend up' like the hinge-nose of an O-Sin SWT, but only my 'Obsession' did That, more gently..) , so I think Dan will be happy 80% of the time, though crusty windpack (thinking of east-side of Mt Adams; yikes) might be ugly(?). 

IMHO, I'd bet both Lurch and Dan would be quite happy on this Fullbag.

To sink the nose on the Hammerhead, you really have to make a major mistake. The nose has A LOT of surface area and a very low rise to maximize it, and not plow through soft snow but plane and slice. Combined with 20mm of taper, the swallowtail, and 6cm of setback, it pretty much always stays on top. Easiest board I have had to transition from groom to pow. No need to shift your weight back. you can stay centered, or even have forward bias, and the nose will stay on top. And no rear leg burn in deep pow, that's for sure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xy9ine said:

no idea why i'm reading this forum on the middle of summer...  mig - i see your board lineup is mostly sold out now; plans for a fresh production run? anything new in the works? cheers!

Yeah, only a couple of Lifer 166 and Hammerhead 171 left and they are 20% off. New production run has new graphics across the lineup. And we are introducing a new board for women (or men with smaller feet).

img_snow_fb_effects_gris.png

• Like 2

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎02 at 6:30 AM, BlueB said:

Nice graphics. 

Tell us about the new, I assume narrow, board? 

Thanks @BlueB!!!

New board is the Lightwave 147 cm with a 24.3 cm waist. Flat camber under feet and tail, with rockerd nose. Flex pattern similar to the Blunt Diamond but slightly softer overall. Geared towards women (or smaller men with smaller feet).