Note to New Members ×

Zen and the Art of Breathing While Carving

Jack M

I don't think about breathing when I'm riding.  When I'm running I note that at an easy pace, my breathing has little relation to my actions, but at a hard pace it is in time with my strides: this is quite common among runners.  For sudden effort, like lifting a weight, breathing out makes it easier.  I'm not sure you can even breathe in effectively when you are really trying to hoist something.  In kendo, we deliberately train to breathe out for any attack or series of attacking motions by yelling at the same time as we move.

Next time I ride I will maybe pay attention to what the breathing happens to be.

3 hours ago, lonbordin said:

Geoff... I hate to be the bearer of bad news... But humans suck at multitasking.

My suggestion is just focus on one thing. When you've committed that thing to muscle memory focus on a new thing.

I was joking around with Jack, he is a good friend :). I've been carving for 30 years so I don't consciously need to think about all these things anymore. When conditions are difficult or while carving the steeps is where I need to obviously focus a little more on my form. 

27 minutes ago, Erik J said:

lonbordin, don't upset GeoffV. He wanted a bite of my PB&J sandwich. I said I would think about it. He then broke this board over his head. I gave him the sandwich. Don't upset GeoffV

He can break his board with any part of his body... It is his board after all. Heck I'll give GeoffV full permission to break Erik J's board with his body whenever convenient... ain't scared... :ices_ange

Should've made a breathe through the punch joke... Ah, well.

Edited by lonbordin
Breathing

8 hours ago, Erik J said:

lonbordin, don't upset GeoffV. He wanted a bite of my PB&J sandwich. I said I would think about it. He then broke this board over his head. I gave him the sandwich. Don't upset GeoffV

Totally. Don't mess with the Australian Thunder. 

15 hours ago, lonbordin said:

He can break his board with any part of his body... It is his board after all. Heck I'll give GeoffV full permission to break Erik J's board with his body whenever convenient... ain't scared... :ices_ange

Should've made a breathe through the punch joke... Ah, well.

look out.jpg

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 8:24 PM, Erik J said:

Great shot. I had to stare at that pic for a while to figure out what was going on with toes, arms, back

Yes, this is not my normal toe side posture. The counter rotation came from reaching forward with my right/back arm in order to get the shot I was looking for. 

On 1/12/2017 at 3:22 PM, Erik J said:

I ride fairly erratically.

Fairly? So modest. 

Is this referring to your riding style, riding schedule, or both? 

Personally, I just hold my breath until I see Erik J on the hill... 

I can hear Ski Patrol now, "We need an oxygen tank" 

"what happened?" "Don't know, found him on the side of the hill 

passed out and not breathing." 

Great pic, your expression says it all.

To have groom and conditions like that in the East would overwhelm our sensors ? 

This is also a great visual of a decambered nose, look how far up the the edge of the board is being used. This is exactly why I don't detune my edges.

Nice work 

• Like 1