Note to New Members ×

2005 Sandboarding World Championships

Tugboater

I've sandboarded in the Oregon dunes before. The rental boards here are sand-specific, with no real bindings, just foot loops. Not nearly as much control and sand is much denser than snow - hard to skid and I couldn't get it up on edge. I would be interested in trying it with bindings and seeing if it would be possible to carve the board like that. 

Those tandem riders in the video have some skills! I can't imagine doing that. 

9 hours ago, Dan said:

I've sandboarded in the Oregon dunes before. The rental boards here are sand-specific, with no real bindings, just foot loops. Not nearly as much control and sand is much denser than snow - hard to skid and I couldn't get it up on edge. I would be interested in trying it with bindings and seeing if it would be possible to carve the board like that. 

Those tandem riders in the video have some skills! I can't imagine doing that. 

I tried it in Peru with minimal bindings as well. The sand was harder than I expected and worked its way into everything. As far as I could tell the locals just soaped up the base. 

I did it in Egypt, also with just foot straps. It was fine while you were going in a straight line, but as soon as you started to turn, you were pretty much toast. Also, 300ft hills are fun to ride down, but much less fun to hike back up.

Huh, I knew Brett Tippie was a complete beast of a mountain biker, but I didn't know he was a sponsored snowboarder as well. Dude rips on everything.

Edited by Allee