Note to New Members ×

UPZ RC8 vs RC10, carving and skiing?

1xsculler

I have no experience with the RC10, but since it is stiffer than the RC8, it would in all probability be better for skiing, with neither being a really good ski boot. You should also be aware that fore-aft stiffness of the UPZ boots changes significantly with the tongue. I noticed a big difference even between black (second softest) and red (softest).

The RC8 are a bit softer then the RC10 but the real difference is made by the tongues.

The RC10 have thinner liners

I have the RC8 with red tongue and a spring system in the rear, awesome but a lot of friends use RC10 (with red tongue and spring system).

I change the original liner with a Palau liner (lighter and better than original).

If you are a racer, RC10 but if you are a carver, RC8.

For skiing I don't use UPZ but ski boots.

• Like 1

The RC10 have thinner liners

Really? I got the impression that the liners are identical for both models, though there may be changes from one year to the next. Also, the UPZ price list has only one type of flo liner, AFAIK.

Edited by Aracan

Palau is an aftermarket, full wrap liner.  I had Palua in my T700's and they are now in my UPZ RC10.

http://www.palau-boutique.com/overlap-soft-ski-boot-liners-palau,us,4,PAL-OVSOFT.cfm#

I use dedicated SKI boots if and when I ski.  I tried carving one time with ski boots and they were painfully stiff.  Ski boots can fit into standard alpine bindings (usually).  But Alpine boots will not fit into today's ski bindings.

From the archives: Alpine snowboarding hard boots vs. Regular Ski boots http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/36641-alpine-snowboarding-hard-boots-vs-regular-ski-boots/

Edited by Pat Donnelly

Really? I got the impression that the liners are identical for both models, though there may be changes from one year to the next. Also, the UPZ price list has only one type of flo liner, AFAIK.

Sorry, you are correct.

Now the liners are identical for both models, the last years were different.

Ski and snowboard? Look no further then Dalbello CarveX / CRX / Impulse / Reflex / Panterra. They are the same shell as Head Stratos snowboard boot but with DIN ski soles. Plastic stiffness varies on models. The have ski/carve/walk switch, forward lean adjustment, cuff canting adjustment, ramp adjustment. They are wider sifter and have shorter soles then popular Kryptons/Full Tilt/Flexon.

BTS can be installed with lots of mod work but I found it not necessary.

It's what "trully yours" uses too :)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The more boot research I do on this site is reminding me of ten years ago when I abandoned various carving boots I tried and kept going back to my Solomon SX-91 Equipe, rear entry ski boots for carving and skiing.  I still use them for both and because of their extreme comfort, warmth, fore and aft flexibility, excellent support and ease of on and off I may just stick with them.  I'll admit I am not a great carver and maybe the SX-91s are holding me back but I am not yet convinced.  If I get to the point where I'm laying out extreme carves and toe or heel over become a problem I may reconsider.  I can use 55* front and 50* rear with no problem on my Ultra Prime 69 and Alp 71 but I'm not good enough to lay out radical carves either.

The foot pain, loss of days on the mountain, hours in a boot fitting shop and the expense with no guaranteed path to success are becoming daunting to me.  I have no intention of starting a once used, non-returnable carving boot collection or taking a $300 hit every time I finally have to abandon whatever boot won't work..

I may keep my eyes out for a used pair of UPZ RC-8s or 10s or Deeluxe 225s or 325s in MP 28 - 28.5 or watch for a year end sale on them.  Any suggestions?

If I take the plunge I am leaning towards UPZ because of their DIN replaceable heels and toes.  I'm thinking RC10s may be too tall and too stiff for me so I would probably start with RC8s which means I'd have to order them from Italy as Dan is sold out.  I don't need super high performance boots for skiing (my SX-91s certainly don't fall into that category) as when I ski it is with my five, seven and eight year old grandchildren.  I can work on my carving while they work on their snowplows and stem turns all on the same slopes and at about the same speeds.  An added bonus is they love to watch grandpa do the occasional face-plant or otherwise crash and burn. 

I like to give them an hour ski lesson in the morning and then jump on my board for the rest of the day.

Edited by 1xsculler

Upz has toe and heel pieces for skiing, just know you have to switch them each time. Wouldn't expect the performance to be great with them on skis vs actual ski boots

Take note, the toe and heel ski blocks have to be t-nutted to the boot. It is recommended to do that with the snowboard toe and heel pieces too. Therefore you can NOT just change them every time you want to do one or the other. I recommend the AT pieces as they have better sole for walking and you still can ski on them.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Take note, the toe and heel ski blocks have to be t-nutted to the boot. It is recommended to do that with the snowboard toe and heel pieces too. Therefore you can NOT just change them every time you want to do one or the other. I recommend the AT pieces as they have better sole for walking and you still can ski on them.

Well you could change them but what a royal PITA that would be.  I'd rather just have two dedicated pairs of boots.

The AT toes need to be ground down a bit to work in TD3 bindings as they hit the sides of the bail.  

I don't like how the AT and ski heel ends up cantilevered out behind the boot.  If that fails on a ski, you get a premature release.  If it fails on a board - shudder!  

The more boot research I do on this site is reminding me of ten years ago when I abandoned various carving boots I tried and kept going back to my Solomon SX-91 Equipe, rear entry ski boots for carving and skiing.  I still use them for both and because of their extreme comfort, warmth, fore and aft flexibility, excellent support and ease of on and off I may just stick with them.  I'll admit I am not a great carver and maybe the SX-91s are holding me back but I am not yet convinced.  If I get to the point where I'm laying out extreme carves and toe or heel over become a problem I may reconsider.  I can use 55* front and 50* rear with no problem on my Ultra Prime 69 and Alp 71 but I'm not good enough to lay out radical carves either.

The foot pain, loss of days on the mountain, hours in a boot fitting shop and the expense with no guaranteed path to success are becoming daunting to me.  I have no intention of starting a once used, non-returnable carving boot collection or taking a $300 hit every time I finally have to abandon whatever boot won't work..

I may keep my eyes out for a used pair of UPZ RC-8s or 10s or Deeluxe 225s or 325s in MP 28 - 28.5 or watch for a year end sale on them.  Any suggestions?

The one massive advantage that the RC8's / RC10's will have over your ski boots is adjustable forward lean. If you run any sort of rear foot lift or canting it is an awesome adjustment to have for getting a comfortable stance