Note to New Members ×

Binding Suck and Recommended Torque of TD3 Binders?

barryj

As long as I can remember I have always had binding suck of some form on all my boards, but now I have a brand new Moss Snowstick and it is a real noodle and I really don't think the idea of running plate bindings  was ever considered in their R&D and was stressed I'd over torque the screws to the board so I choose to back off somewhat on tightening  the binder down but  I already have slight dimples showing up  :eek:

So is there a suggested lbs. of torque for the baseplate  screws and how do I measure it??

Just had to post my new ride!!

Some Stats: Moss Snowstick U-5   and this is Next Years Model!~

Length: 157

R.Length: 864.

EF.Edge: 1060.

Sidecut: 9800/6900.

Nose/Tail: 310/292.

Waist: 26.2

Stance Width: 540 (520-640)

Set Back: -46.5

post-2478-0-38786900-1457496560_thumb.jp

You would need a torque wrench to measure torque. You can pick one up at home depot but not sure if you can find the socket adapters needed for our screws. Though, i don't think bomber has ever published torque numbers. Honestly, i think that's overkill. Most modern boards can probably handle the screws being as tight as you can make them. if you are concerned, just back off a bit and carry the t handle with you in case the binding becomes lose on the slopes. 

They (Bomber) do not want to specify a torque as the limiting factor is the board, not the binding.  I've seen people use a simple screwdriver and make them snug.  I've also seen people absolutely cranking on a T-handle.  Both seem to work well. 

So pick something between those two and check them a few times on the first ride.  The screws seem to be a great deal stronger than needed, so they are relatively lightly loaded and clamp load isn't critical.  

Coefficient of thermal expansion;   Base (poly)  60

Sidewall (abs)  41

Aluminum (titinal) 12.3

Epoxy  25-36

Stainless Steel 8-9

Wood 2'1

The big numbers expand the most small ones the least. The screws prevent the area around them from expanding.

I have boards that have never been hotwaxed with bindings on that have binding suck.  (I use a Wax Wizard almost exclusively)

We put a lot of force on those screws. I assume the wood compresses a small amount and then settles.