Note to New Members ×

Where to carve/flying into Denver next week?

Jeffrey Day

Since I'm not happy with our conditions here on the east coast, thinking/dreaming about flying into Denver to do some riding...somewhere.

On a shoestring budget...what area has the best carving/grooming bang for the buck?

Might fly into Denver either Monday 2/29 and fly back home Friday 3/4 or Monday 3/7 and flying home Friday 3/11. So Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday riding.

Also, good carving terrain for a timid, intermediate hack of a carver(me!) with very poor riding technique.

Do I need to rent an SUV?

Let me know...

Edited by Jeffrey Day

Best bang for the buck? My highly biased opinion is going to be loveland, its a big small area with a very old school feel, and lots of varied terrain. You might even be able to find a tour guide.  As far as the suv, I would look at the weather forecast and decide from there

Mario

ps that aint no hack heelside in your avatar!

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1

jeff - i agree with mario.  loveland is a good price for some fine terrain and a great mountain feel.

if you want to spend over $100, keystone mid week has some terrific carving.

if you want to spend over $150, beaver creek has some terrific carving.

i can often get out on wednesday AM, so send me an email if you get out here.

i learned to ski at pat's peak in henniker; we can swap stories about ice, grass, and rocks.

pcogan

denver

• Like 1

I second (third?) Loveland.

Coming from the Ice Coast (Killy was my home mountain) I can tell you that even though Loveland is considered a "small" mountain it is waaaaay bigger than anything out east.  Runs are far longer and wider.  Don't look too far into the weather forecasts.  The snow is still going to be there on both those weeks.  The locals like to complain about "ice".  They keep on using that word, I do not think it means what they think it means.   (meaning that powder that is not completely soft gets the moniker ice and will be complained about)

Still, here's a good forecasting site for snow weather: https://opensnow.com/location/loveland

SUV?  Why would you need one?  Unless it's really dumping in which case what you really need winter tires and no rental will give you that.  I've been driving up pretty much every weekend for the past two seasons and had only a couple of "scary" days.  I don't see any of those in the near forecast.

Other than that be prepared for the altitude!  Some barely notice it while some get really sick.  DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE DANGER OF ALTITUDE SICKNESS!!!   Drink a lot of water throughout the day.  It's dry here and it will help with the altitude.  If you feel woozey cut your day short and drive down.  Better to loose half a day than half a brain.  No joke.

Let us know how you like it and please don't let anybody else know about Loveland.

• Like 1

I've been to Ski Cooper once to cat ski. It is affordable for cat skiing but not cheap (I'm guessing $300/person/day). I wouldn't do this unless we had recent big snows (we haven't). I don't think Cooper would be a good place to carve. 

If you check Denver Craigslist, you can likely find some Loveland 4-Paks. These are basically Loveland lift tickets that you can use any day unrestricted. You can probably find them for under $30/day. 

It has been a while since the Colorado Rockies have had any significant snow and I don't think any is predicted. Plan on carving. Plan on Loveland. 

Loveland is about 45 min - 1 hr west of Denver depending on traffic & weather. Golden, Arvada & Lakewood are western suburbs. Airbnb in any of those locations would give you lots of options. If you could find lodging in Georgetown, you'll be only about 10 - 15 minutes from the slopes. You won't need an SUV unless we get a bunch of snow. 

I picked up one validated BOGO Shell voucher today near Aspen. Check out the web link for resorts but I did see Copper being valid 7 days a week. I can mail to you if you would like it. I was able to walk out with the name section blank so it is good for you to fill in.

Edited by Pat Donnelly