Note to New Members ×

Topsheet coming off my board. What Epoxy would work?

MogulRider

I have an old board I found in my garage.  Looks like the edges are in  good shape but the topsheet in the back is separated from the board from the tail to the back foot. 

Could anyone recommend a good epoxy to set it in place?  The topsheet is stainless steel (yes this is an old Volant) 

I think any 24-hr epoxy is good.  The 1-hr stuff is no good for this application.  

The hard part is scuffing and cleaning the entire surface to be bonded.  That alone probably makes this impractical.  Sorry for the bad news.  

What if it's a valued board. Got used MADD bx168 preseason this year. Three runs of RAILin turns left and right, got to the top and noticed the topsheet separating at the tip.

MADD reissue? (Being its a bx model, don't think they ar available in vintage MADD)

I recall other BOL threads suggesting marine grade epoxy, metal plate for base side, metal plate for

Topsheet side, and clamp clamp clamp. For 24 hours.

Any reputable shop is capable?

Mail it to a pro shop for repair?

Should I blame J.Gilmore????? DaveJ

You can do it yourself. You can pry the topsheet open a little bit and spread some epoxy in there and clamp. you can use wood blocks under the clamps to avoid damaging the board. If you can find it 2 ton epoxy works well as I was told by a snowboard shop that does repairs that it does not get brittle. You can use paper towels and rubbing alcolhol to clean up any epoxy that oozes out. if you can't find 2 ton I would use a 30 minute epoxy to give yourself enough time to work with it before it sets up.

If you decide to undertake this museum restoration with satisfactory results it would entail completely removing the cap. Cleaning of all remnants of previous adhesive. Cleaning and etching stainless cap immediately prior to reassembly. Covering or filling inserts to prevent epoxy infiltration. Apply epoxy to both surfaces and finally vacuum bagging after rolling out the excess epoxy.Unless you have a board press and necessary profiles to do like the big guys.   

If you decide to undertake this museum restoration with satisfactory results it would entail completely removing the cap. Cleaning of all remnants of previous adhesive. Cleaning and etching stainless cap immediately prior to reassembly. Covering or filling inserts to prevent epoxy infiltration. Apply epoxy to both surfaces and finally vacuum bagging after rolling out the excess epoxy.Unless you have a board press and necessary profiles to do like the big guys.   

Evidently, even Volant didn't bother with all this...

Evidently, even Volant didn't bother with all this...

I almost spilled my coffee on that one.

Sad but true - Volant seemed to experience bonding failure at a high rate. Almost as bad as K2 skis from the early 90's - I remember replacing almost 90% of one model we sold at the shop one season. That was ugly - they were shipping us warranty replacements to have in stock for the next failure to come in the door. We had the fasted couch at the furniture races that spring.

edit -the Volant isn't worth the time or money to fix to try to ride. You have a 99% chance of failure - They weren't that nice to ride when new, but they sure are pretty.

Edited by bruincounselor