Note to New Members ×

LOVEing my new Donek board :)

RyanKnapton

Thanks guys. 

As for the  alpine setup... well... I did rent a setup from bomber last season... but I took the hard-boots off and put em duck-foot on my freestyle board.  Ha!  I'll have the vid done in a month or so.  Damien Sanders liked em better, so I figured I had to try em at some point.  :)

Thanks guys. 

As for the  alpine setup... well... I did rent a setup from bomber last season... but I took the hard-boots off and put em duck-foot on my freestyle board.  Ha!  I'll have the vid done in a month or so.  Damien Sanders liked em better, so I figured I had to try em at some point.  :)

Coincidentally, I watched a bunch of your "how-to butter" videos the other night and saw you were carving really well between tricks.  So I set up my Burton Custom 152 duck-stance with plate bindings and plan on trying some butter tricks the next time I go snowboarding :biggthump

Time for an old dog to learn some new tricks,,,

Wonder what are specs for board and rider?

Mostly curious about length, sidecut and width and weight and boot size.

It's definitely different than anything you'll find in a store.

160 cm.

8.7m radius

30.5 cm waist (not a typo)

220 lbs rider

8.5 boots (squeeze into that size to have less toe and heel drag cuz I ride low angles).

*Extra: I modify my bindings quite a bit.  For years I had certain pain in my legs from hitting jumps and riding pipe all day (I've even made finals of the U.S. Open in pipe b4)... so I started adding extra padding and making my highbacks taller.. and now they are so padded and high that on heelside turns I feel like I'm laying back in a lazy-boy couch.  :)

• Like 1

Damien Sanders liked em better, so I figured I had to try em at some point.  :)

I had that same notion about his 1990 hair. I belatedly realized that only Damien could pull that style off. Don't make the same mistake...

160 cm.

8.7m radius

220 lbs rider

Popping that s*** at 220 lbs is even more impressive. I've been telling myself for years that the only thing keeping me from being amazing is not being 5'9" and 150 pounds. I must suck for a different reason.

Hi Ryan

Great video, looks like you are loving the board; guess there is a reason so many love Donek:)

*Extra: I modify my bindings quite a bit.  For years I had certain pain in my legs from hitting jumps and riding pipe all day (I've even made finals of the U.S. Open in pipe b4)... so I started adding extra padding and making my highbacks taller.. and now they are so padded and high that on heelside turns I feel like I'm laying back in a lazy-boy couch.  :)

Could you comment a bit more on your softboot bindings, perhaps share pictures of how you made your lazyboy highbacks etc?

I have been having a tough time trying to wade through all the softboot binding choices; especially as I am doing this through the eyes of a long time hardbooter.

Conventional wisdom, for guys 220 plus, who want to carve hard or fly high seems to be stiffer and stronger the better; aluminum and carbon fiber, etc.  But conventional wisdom (probably) says that 30.5cm is too wide to carve, I love that you went with what you knew would work for you and showed us all different!

Lately, I have been assuming that what works for Boardercross is what a hardboot carver should be looking at if they primarily want to carve hard in softies.  But then I see the nice turns you are making on a freestyle inspired set up ... makes me wonder if softer bindings should be considered?  Keep in mind that my primary and favourite two tricks are turning left and right:)

Are you using Bomber Power Plate in the video you just posted in this thread?

Your comments regarding softie bindings would be sincerely appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by RCrobar

Well that explains it.  I got a Winterstick Seth Wescott 164 for when conditions aren't good for hardboot carving.  Seth and I both have 28.5 size boots, and the board is 26cm at the waist, but even at my crazy angles of 36/27 I still get boot drag if I try to really lay it over.  It carves surprisingly well though otherwise.

Thanks for sharing.

It's definitely different than anything you'll find in a store.

160 cm.

8.7m radius

220 lbs rider

8.5 boots (squeeze into that size to have less toe and heel drag cuz I ride low angles).

Yea, that's not typical carving board. In fact every spec is on far end from what being called a carving board, and result is quite impressive.

I know you won't find such a board in market. I've previously have Donek Incline 180x28, which was real fun. Now riding Us12.5 boots on Eliminator and obviously have some drag, even with elevators.

Quite interested in highback tuning, as RCrobar said. This is quite interesting.

Could you comment a bit more on your softboot bindings, perhaps share pictures of how you made your lazyboy highbacks etc?

Yeah, basically I cut up folders coffee cans and make my highback a lot taller.. then add tons of pipe insulation to make em soft and it leads to 1 big gradient of mellow pressure vs a ton right on the top of my boot.  (they go quite a bit taller than my boots).  And add a 3rd strap.  I'll be making a video of em.  I'm not recommending others do this.  But they feel way better for me.

Are you using Bomber Power Plate in the video you just posted in this thread?

I'm not, cuz I don't actually own any.  It'd be fun to try em on this.  The board I rode with those was 27.7 cm waist and 8.7m sidecut, and I would still boot out on both toe and heels, so those were good on that for sure to carve deeper before booting out.   

Wow, takes a 30.5 waist to prevent boot-out for size 8.5? What angles are you riding?

I'm not exactly sure, but it seems to be somewhere around there... On my previous 29 cm board I would rarely boot out on the toe side, but with burton bindings at least, the damn heelcup sticks out so far, so I'd still wash out every time I turned too hard on the heelside.

Angles of 15,-15

Edited by RyanKnapton

Hi Ryan

but with burton bindings at least, the damn heelcup sticks out so far,

Which Burton bindings are you using?

Have you tried soft boot bindings with a much smaller aluminum heel cup?

Maybe it is just easier to get a custom board that is 30cm wide, rather than searching out shorter bindings?

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Rob

Great clip, tried to go over to hard booting at my last trip - just hated it. I did one run in a red slope and just hated it from the start, i didnt fall or anything - just went straight home and picked up my old softie

I rather stick to soft boot carving with longer boards.  Now i just need to go and buy a alpinepunk superswede or sword dual or a donek.

I would also be keen on your softboot binding beacuse my 15year old burton custom needs to go now

Riders like Ryan are an inspiration. I know bomber is and has been the place to go for all things Hardboot but they also provide fantastic softboot products as well. I'm hoping Ryan will be at ATC this year as I don't want to be the only guy mixing up my softboot gear and Hardboot gear at any given time. I am seriously asking Jim and Angie to perhaps expand the TD line into a softboot binding that replaces the power plate base. Catek left a huge hole for aggressive softboot carvers and now more than ever is there a resurgence in the force. The mass production guys have left us behind. (Flow Nx2 have a minimal heel cup and reduces drag in deep heel sides btw but they are not willing to go outside the box, although rebranding next season under the bent metal name) We have been Frankenstein-binding makers for years and there is a need for something better. Looking forward to some hot laps in the cold temps with everyone!

I bought a pair of GNU binding last year. Best binding for soft boot carving in duck stance so far IMO.

Pro:
With a little modification, u can get massive forward lean.( a lot more than my old flow NXT)
Toe cap makes forward lean true and easy to apply.
No heel cup (greatly reduce footprint.)
Feels like traditional binding. (unlike my old flow). I cranked the strap way down.

Con:

Huge amount of pressure between high back and tow cap makes the boot liner pack out real quick, bruise toes as result.

I still haven't figure out a fix other than keep buying boot liner.....

Edited by SnowboardingJ

I am seriously asking Jim and Angie to perhaps expand the TD line into a softboot binding that replaces the power plate base. Catek left a huge hole for aggressive softboot carvers and now more than ever is there a resurgence in the force. The mass production guys have left us behind.

Totally agreewith you Slopestar.

I never find  better bindings for softboot carving than my Catek FR2 Pro.

I already Frankensteined them a bit as they had too many little parts and so, too much risks of losing some of them.

But for softboot carving, nothing better for sure...

Let's hope that in a close future Jim and Angie cook us up something cool. The TD line is already, definetly a winner.

By the way Ryan, cool video, nice edit!