Note to New Members ×

Buying a new board from Europe, do I have to pay import tax?

avante

Thinking about buying some new toys for the season I am curious whether I may need to pay an import tax on them. The price is about $850 + shipping. If I have to pay tax on that what might the rate be? 

And how it all happens? Do I get an additional bill or I have to do lots of paperwork with customs on my own?

Thanks.

It really depends how the shipper codes it and what value they assign to each code.

You will definitely pay with UPS or Fedex. I know USPS is not as strict or careful about collecting import duties.

I have some experience with watches from Europe.

You may ask the seller or shipper how they will code and what value they assign.

Hope this helps.

It really depends how the shipper codes it and what value they assign to each code.

You will definitely pay with UPS or Fedex. I know USPS is not as strict or careful about collecting import duties.

I have some experience with watches from Europe.

You may ask the seller or shipper how they will code and what value they assign.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! In my case it will be Swiss post I guess, so it should be handled by USPS on our side.

For reference:

In Canada, there is a percentage of the sale price that's charged as a tariff (aka 'Duty'), then sales tax is added on top of that, then UPS or FedEx adds what seems like an arbitrary percentage for their fees on top of that.

The UPS/FedEx 'brokerage fees' are often as much or more than the governmental taxes. Canada Post charges a flat $5 fee for brokerage, so we try to get things shipped that way if possible. I imagine there's a similar fee structure in the US.

We generally pay about twice the US price after all the fees and the conversion to the Canadian Peso.

Note that the tariffs can vary greatly by item. Snowboard boots get charged a 22% tariff, while ski boots get no tariff.

On top of everything Corey mentioned I was hit with a $9.95 handling charge as well. Importing is a total scam when it comes to Gov't charges. Call your customs office in advance get someone to explain it to you and then make a record their name and the time of your call. Happy shopping !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It depends on the reported value of the imported items.  For some reason the value $150 sticks in my head.  IE if the reported value of the item is less than $150 the item is VAT free and no processing fees.  If the value is over that amount you are liable for both VAT and any related processing fees, it depends on what the sender reports.  When I've been shipping stuff (to Norway at least), the VAT and processing fees are typically handled by the freight company (UPS, DHL)  and billed to me.