Note to New Members ×

UPZ tongue differences

Bobby Buggs

Reds are pretty soft.  The material feels kinda "gummy" when compared to the blacks.  Using reds makes it way easier to get in and out, especially for small guys like me.  I used reds for a few years and liked them a lot, but the dynamics of the new liners I bought have reduced the cuff resistance and I might go back to blacks.  Reds are great for smaller people who feel like they are getting whipped around by their boots without an absorptive interface.

I have a set of grey tongues.  Not really sure how to quantify them, other than 'yup, they're stiffer!' when bending them in my fingers.  ;)  I haven't tried them on-snow yet as the black tongues feel about perfect for me.  

Looking at the new tongues, couldn't you just cut off the ankle strap and add the little extension strap?  The 1st and 2nd buckles must be in the same spot if they can be retrofit without boot changes. I kind of want to see what may exist at a ski shop and see if I can DIY it for easier entry/exit on cold days, but laziness is a lot easier than all that effort and I don't have to explain WTF my boots are to the YODUDE kids in the shop.  

Crap, I think I'm getting old.  

No buckles since they require riveting. These mods I can do with the tools from the boots. The swing away tongue was really what I was after. Cant Imagine how much easier its gonna be getting in these.That was one of the great things about the SB series boots, flip that tongue and get in and out.  

I switched from the standard black tongues to the grey ones awhile back. The grey tongues are markedly stiffer, and more supportive. They took a few runs to get used to but they worked out for me. I weigh around 200lbs, and like to push the board around a lot — they give me the support that I want but aren't so stiff that they restrict my motion. 

A side effect of the grey tongues (on the older boots) is that getting into your boots is much more difficult.

My understanding is that the red tongues are the softest available. The blacks are already pretty soft so I imagine these would be best for a super lightweight rider, or someone looking to break their ankles.

So I got the 15-16 grey tongues and OF course when I tried to remove the bolts the portion inside the boot started spinning. With no tools to prevent the things from spinning inside the boot Im gonna have to take um to a shop :mad:

Are pliers the tool you are refering to? its a bitch to fit your hand in there but not a big deal to hold the nut with pliers and then remove the screw. Good needle nose works best. I just did it last week. And really Silver tongues for you? I dont see that working. I ride the silver tongues.

I got the ones one level above the black, I would expect you to be on the Grey 160s. Thanks for the tip on the pliers, Yeah its a bitch getting in there I will try the needle nose. If they are too stiff I will sell them and chop up the black ones I have. A visit to Gary at the gate will fix that.

Edited by Bobby Buggs