Note to New Members ×

Bindings For Ill-conceived Experimentation - Want Advice/To Buy

lordmetroland

First off, I don’t have anything personal against Kansas. Today, I drove home across the full breadth of Kansas from a funeral. However. during those ten benighted hours, two pairs of bindings came up for sale that I would have jumped on. And yet, I was staring at the endless, unbending ribbon of Kansas asphalt that lay in front of me instead of lurking on BOL. So I need to amend that first statement: I NOW have deep antipathy towards Kansas for denying me a chance to buy some nice bindings at a good price. At least Kansas couldn’t deny me access to unlimited greasy comfort food.

I haven’t been on a set of “plate” bindings in nearly 25 years, but I think I’m ready for some experimentation this year. Luckily, thanks to everything I’ve read on this site, I have low expectations of my ability, so I probably won’t be too frustrated.

I’m about 6’3”, 200 lbs. I acquired a near-new set of Deeluxe Suzukas (30.5MP) with Intec heels, and think I can start out on my Rad Air Tanker 187. Now I just need the interface. I'm thinking I'd probably want a more forgiving setup, but I really have no idea. F2 Titaniums (large) have been recommended, standard not Intec. Are the Intecs going to be that much more rigid? I have a feeling that Bombers, even Sidewinders, may overwhelm me/the board, but they are so very tempting.

So, two questions for the collective wisdom:

1. What bindings are recommended, given the above?
  2. Anyone have some they would part with?

I would also like to buy some confidence.

Edited by lordmetroland

Well this is a site paid for by Bomber, who make bindings.

I'm an F2 user and I switched from the originals to the Intec models, and noticed that the connection was more rigid. That was an improvement, which is why I never went back. If you need more flex, then I'd just loosen my buckles, but there are other ways.

I'm not sure what you mean by "overwhelm" - that's a lot of board.

To me it's like car seats. You can get those fancy cars with a thousand adjustments and gizmos, or you can buy a seat which just works. Nice to have a choice.

intecs are a more rigid interface. if you're running particularly low angles i can imagine that the noise transmitted through the heelpiece could be distracting or just plain sore. for narrower boards or higher angles (>= 60° maybe) intecs are the way to go.

also, lift-line and departure dis-engagement smugness, especially if you route a cable release into one of your pockets

Well this is a site paid for by Bomber, who make bindings.

Yes, the potential conflict is not lost on me!

I'm not sure what you mean by "overwhelm" - that's a lot of board.

I'm not sure either, but I suspect that some board/binding combos are more simpatico (using this word should probably result in a time-out) than others?

if you're running particularly low angles i can imagine that the noise transmitted through the heelpiece could be distracting or just plain sore. for narrower boards or higher angles (>= 60° maybe) intecs are the way to go.

I'd expect to start with lower angles. The Tanker has a 26.7 waist width, but with my 30.5 shells, I'm still looking at 40+ degree angles.

also, lift-line and departure dis-engagement smugness, especially if you route a cable release into one of your pockets

An effect surely ruined by my catching an edge and faceplanting the smugness right off.

This is the 2007 version. I still plan to talk you out of the other one...

Oh, GOOD!  Senior moment.   

Yea, that piece of crap will snap on the first turn.   I AM KIDDING, OK!!!  Have fun!!

I feel better now. I was having "Sellers" regret!!  My day just took a "blip"  :)

If I was going the extremecarving route I'd worry about using regular bails, otherwise get the step ins. You will save so much time getting in and out and at the beginner stage when falling over and messing up is the de jure standard. I never really noticed the more rigid interface of step ins, but I weigh 90 kg and am 187 cm. As for F2s or Bomber either route is perfectly fine. You wont notice the minor differences between the two at this stage in riding, maybe after a couple of years.

I think the board might cause you far more problems than any boot/binding setup unless you bought it to also use off piste as thats a big one.

Getting bindings with some adjustability on cant direction I think is huge. Even though I havnt used them, the comfort level difference with my stance between td1s and the td3 SW I just bought is huge. In bombers, td2 and above are great. The 3s really just add convenience factors, and sw some side flex.

As far as step ins go, they will make everything a bit more ridged. Imo, unless you really want and have the money for them, or ride short Hills, bails are fine

Edited by AcousticBoarder

Can you touch your toes? I have really tight hamstrings and find getting into my rear bail binding when I'm already clipped into the front really stresses my lower back. More than anything else that's why I ride Intec heel bindings. I ride 65F & 60 degrees R mostly and those angles may contribute to the issue, it may be less of an issue with the angles you plan for your Tanker.

I interchange regularly between TD3 and F2 step ins. The one difference I note is that there can be worm screw creep on the toe bail position on the F2s so the binding can loosen over the course of the day, whereas the TD3s are rock solid.

Edited by SunSurfer

Can you touch your toes? I have really tight hamstrings and find getting into my rear bail binding when I'm already clipped into the front really stresses my lower back.

Well, this ought to be an even more interesting experiment than I'd envisioned. I think I can touch my toes, but not without protests from my hamstrings. I think I'm the least limber person I know. I can't wait to see how that affects my clicking in. Here's where I'm at on this deal.

1. A local, generous BOLer has offered to loan me a pair of Catek OS2s, which is great because I'm already familiar with the cant/lift adjustments from having FR2s. They are standard, not step in.
  2. I've ordered BTS so I'll get more flex from the boots, given the relative stiffness of the Cateks.
  3. I plan to run lower angles at the outset.
  4. I probably won't start my self-induced humbling until later December due to a recent rib break. The doctor has asked me not to be stupid for 8 weeks, but in my experience, stupid people can't help doing stupid things. We'll see how this goes.

All that said, I'm still open to guidance, advice and insults. Ain't BOL the best?!

So I will add to this a bit. I am 6 ft and 250. I know, I know...working on it. And I carve quite hard on occasion. I was hurt several years ago and as the injury caused things to continue to deteriorate over the next few years I got to the point where I couldn't use a regular binding.

I had used Burton Race plates for years and in spite of breaking the occasional bail liked the bindings and have many. I tried the TD1 when they first came out and had pre-release problems and then a double pre-release after which I didn't use Bombers again until two winters ago. 

There is this gear vacuum guy in Oregon who decided I needed some help and sent me over some heels and Td2 SI to try. What an eye opener - thanks Bryan. The SI was so easy and secure that I won't be going back to regular binders. I have had a couple of surgeries since then and have nearly full mobility again. Meaning no problem flipping a toe bail but I ain't going back. Part of it is the security of knowing I am going to break steel on steel or rip the inserts out of the board to come undone has given me more confidence in my whole setup. 

The other thing I didn't see mentioned is the shorter sole length with the Intec heel. You gain 1 to 1.5 cm in the boot overhang drag category. 

Good luck. 

There is this gear vacuum guy in Oregon

I knew exactly who you were talking about!

The other thing I didn't see mentioned is the shorter sole length with the Intec heel. You gain 1 to 1.5 cm in the boot overhang drag category.

Ah, this is news to me. With 30.5 MP boots, those centimeter savings become more precious. I'll be danged if I can figure out how the other Bigfeet around here squeeze into a narrow-waisted board. I think I'd be at something like 70 degrees!. If things go well, I may switch over to step-ins at some point; I can see the benefits. I'll keep the Intec heels for future consideration. Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Well, this ought to be an even more interesting experiment than I'd envisioned. Here's where I'm at on this deal.

1. A local, generous BOLer has offered to loan me a pair of Catek OS2s, which is great because I'm already familiar with the cant/lift adjustments from having FR2s. They are standard, not step in.
  2. I've ordered BTS so I'll get more flex from the boots, given the relative stiffness of the Cateks.
  3. I plan to run lower angles at the outset.
  4. I probably won't start my self-induced humbling until later December due to a recent rib break. The doctor has asked me not to be stupid for 8 weeks, but in my experience, stupid people can't help doing stupid things. We'll see how this goes.

Not that anyone actually gives a crap - this is more of a vanity post - I did finally follow through on my own threat to myself and strapped on a set of hardboots for the first time in over 20 years last week at Loveland. And I lived to tell the tale! And quite liked the experience! Sort of. The snow was probably not idea for carving; 3-4" of fresh on top of soft, so it was a bit choppy. I also had my 7 year-old daughter with me so, while I was open to making a total idiot of myself, I was a bit leery of injury. She's a great kid, but at least two years too young to drive home from the mountains.

I mounted a 187 Rad Air Heli-cat with the OS2s at about 45 and 37 degrees with a bit of toe lift in the front, heel lift and slight inward cant in the back. I set the front Deeluxe Suzuka in the most upright setting and loaded BTS on the rear. Here's what I learned:

1. The setup was pleasingly straightforward to ride which should not come as a total surprise since it wasn't a radical departure from my typical softie setup.
  2. I was surprised at how surfy things felt in the soft snow with the hardboots. It was, dare I say, fun? I felt the gentle beckoning of the dark side.
  3. Edge control was much improved. Again, duh. The lure of the dark side becomes more palpable.
  4. For whatever reason, it appears that Deeluxe has crafted their toe/heel pads out of solid Teflon. Those funny studded silicone stomp pads are a lot less funny now.
  5. By lunch time I was in metatarsal agony and vividly reminded of the reason I stopped skiing in 1990. The dark side recedes.
  6. If the NSA is reading this post - and who are we kidding, the NSA is analyzing every single electronic communication ever - Michael S. Rogers, if you are looking to entice cooperation or encourage the sharing of information from someone of dubious intent, you may consider taking them skiing. In ski boots. That have not been properly fitted. By lunch time, they will be willing to do anything to not wear the ski boots for the rest of the day. Even tell you things.
  7. Maybe #6 applies only to me.
  8. I got back on my softie setup for the afternoon. Riding the hardboot setup made me aware of an unconscious tendency to tuck my rear knee on heelsides in my softboots. This is known as jean-nerva-ing. And I believe I've been cured. Amen, can I get a witness?!?
  9. The whole experience was eye-openingly fun.

I still probably looked like an a**hole, but the possibility of moving to a hardboot AM setup is no longer remote. I'd have to do something about those boots though. The dark side isn't so appealing that I'd live with chronic foot pain to embrace it. Maybe a boot fitter? Maybe UPZs? Either way, I'm pretty sure this is not a one-and-done experience.

• Like 2

Do you have heat moldable liners for your hardboots? This should solve the discomfort factor with them.  You would need to go to a shop that can do this and bootfitting of course. this asumes that you have the right shell size and the shape of the shell will work for your feet.Denver sports Lab could do this. you might check with them? Also do you have insoles that are correct?