Note to New Members ×

Intec cable

Jeffrey Day

Anyone have any ideas on how to Mcgyver/make a new Intec cable? Going through my box of goodies, I found out that I have 2 Intec heels, 2 handles and 2 handle clips...but only ONE Intec cable! DOH!

First instinct is that I can just go to a local bicycle shop and get the inner cable, outer housing and the 2 outer housing end ferrals. Easy Peasy!

But there are 2 potentional  problems with this fix.

1) Most bike brake cables are 5mm thick and most derailleur cables are 4mm thick. The Intec cable is 3 mm thick...of course! Minor issues with using the thicker cables are they won't fit into the Intec handle and I may notice the thicker cable against my ankle bone while riding.

2)More importantly though, is that the Intec inner cable is of a specific length...AND very importantly...it has a specific stopper at either end of the cable permanently fixed onto the cable!

Now, I know most universal inner cables obviously will be long enough, and have 2 different styles of cable stoppers, again permanently fixed onto either end. On one end, it'll be a brake lever "barrel" stopper that should work as the anchor in the heel assembly. And I believe on the other end of the cable will be another type of anchor that would work in a derailleur shifter that "might" work as the handle anchor. The problem is that once you cut the inner cable to length, you will lose one of the anchors needed. That seems to be where my problem exists.

Any thoughts? What have people done out there that is cost effective?

Buy a complete set of interchangeable Fin Tec cables, it's good to always have a spare in one's box of goodies! $24 plus shipping. When traveling on a carve trip I always have a spare cable and/or a spare heel with cable ready to go.

Fin Tec Replacement Cable Kit

Part Number SB4172-1

Your Price: $24.00

For use with the Fin-Tec Heel Kit. Comes with 2 handles, 2 clips, and 2 cables. Just in case you break yours...

If you find 3mm cable, watch this: https://youtu.be/q4fL-5zen5w

Doesn't look too hard.

I've been kicking around the idea of cutting off the top end of an existing cable, removing the bulky black housing for 6" or so around your ankle and replacing it with the thin nylon liner stuff. Keep most of the thick housing so the handle isn't flopping around the top of your boot.

If you have an older pair of pants, use a punch or hot poker to route through a pant leg. I used a high strength small diameter nylon cord with a small T-handle (think small engine pull cord & handle) to grasp about the bottom of pant pocket height. I had difficulty locating the handle when it was inside my pant leg. Always remember to weight down on your heel when pulling up on the rip cord.

Well, here is my first attempt at making myself a replacement Intec cable. As you may be able to notice, the one I made is on the bottom. I used a thicker cable from bicycle derailleur shifting cable set. It's 4...almost 5mm thick, so I am concerned it may be too thick and irritate my ankle bone while riding, so we'll see. I still need to fine tune the cable ends. I haven't soldered them in place yet, I just hammered them onto the cable for now. Not sure that will be strong enough, so I want to solder them on before the season.

So, what do you think?

post-94-0-28168900-1444614295_thumb.jpg