Note to New Members ×

UPZ RC10

Boarder_Ted

Got these from Allee here on Bomber but they are just not right for my feet. Paid $150 and I'm looking for the same. You pick up the shipping. Here is the original listing for the boots. They are in overall good shape but the step-in heels are not included. I got them with pristine regular heels but no Intec. 

The listing claims they are 26.5 but I found "5 1/2" stamped on the footbed. I am assuming that means 25.5? I have an email out to Allee and will update the size info as I get it. Maybe someone with more knowledge of UPZ's can help out.

http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/40551-upz-rc10-265-201011/

Please direct all inquiries to Allee from 3 posts down. He is now handling the sale of the boots. 

Edited by Boarder_Ted

Upz sizing is different. There are usually three UPZ sizes per shell. Mine are "8.5/9/9.5". There are three different liners per shell, one for each UPZ size. I have the 9.5 liners (thinnest). These boots are sold as Mondo 28 and fit like that. I wear US 13 in regular shoes, just to get some reference. I found a chart that shows the sizes (shell and liner) but it's part of a slideshow... anyway, the 287 mm shell is for UPZ sizes 5.5/6/6.5. If you have the 5.5 liners then you may just want thinner ones. The next shell up is 299mm and that's usually sold as M27, so I think you have the shell you thought you were gettng.

Teach, thanks for this information. Assuming this to be true, and I see no reason to doubt you, I would say UPZ shell sizes run extremely small. This is indeed the 287 shell so should be correct for up to a 26.5. I have a size 9 foot and wear a size 9 street shoe and have been riding in the Deeluxe Indy in a size 26.5 with no problem. If I can believe the marking on the footbed which says 5.5, then it is the thickest liner made for a 25.5 foot, or one size too small for me.  I also tried fitting in my Deeluxe thermo liners (26.5) in and could barely get my foot in the boot. These stock liners are already so thin (in my opinion), I can't imagine putting in a thinner liner. 

I had been led to believe the UPZ boots were wider in the forefoot and narrower in the heel. That's one reason I bought them. They also seem to be narrower in the ankle area and are very uncomfortable for me. Allee, from whom I bought the boots, warned me that he had a very narrow foot and these might require some time to fit. I just don't think any amount of time is going to make this the right boot for my foot. Not blaming anyone here for anything; these are just not the boots for me. Perhaps in a larger shell size they would work since the overall flex was excellent and I love the nice heel pocket.- much better than the Deeluxe. 

So if anyone would like a lovely pair of UPZ boots for a great price, hit me up. :-D

Here's what I sent back to Ted on the sizing for these :

"I'm certain the boots are a 26.5. That's what I ordered from Dan, and when I got them they fit my 8.5 street shoe feet perfectly. When I started having issues with arch drop, I swapped out the liner for a 26.5 Black Diamond thermo, which I figured would be thinner and might give me some leeway. If the stock liners had been 25.5's, then I would have gained a bunch of room when I fitted the new liner - and that wasn't the case, the fit didn't change, which is why I ended up having to go to the bigger size shell. And even then, I still have a toe touch on the end in the 27's. The next shell size up is definitely much roomier around the midfoot (much easier to get in and out of) but not much different length wise for me. Going from a 25.5 to a 27 would definitely have been noticeable."

I'm not quite sure why the footbeds are 5.5 - I swapped them out immediately for my Superfeet, so I never even checked them. I guess it's possible that the liner is the smaller size, but given the way it fit, I'd be surprised.

The boots will ship from Portland, Maine. The toe box area seemed fine. The length was great. The fit problem I had was the ankle area around my ankle bones. I tried my Thermo liners thinking that might solve the problem but they barely fit in the boots. As Allee pointed out, I was using the older, bulky liners so maybe a newer, thinner version?  Or run 'em stock if that works for you. 

Sorry for any confusion. Allee sold me the boots but they did not fit. He graciously refunded my money but I have the boots. They will ship from my house near Portland, Maine but Allee will be the one getting paid. Does this all make sense?
And to answer the question about the boots, yes they are in the same condition as the original listing.

Edited by Boarder_Ted

Teach, thanks for this information. Assuming this to be true, and I see no reason to doubt you, I would say UPZ shell sizes run extremely small.

I think you misunderstood me. In the interests of proper internet boot-fitting, aka someone getting the right fit, let me try to be clearer.

UPZ sizes are UPZ sizes. They're only small or large relative to some translation into some other sizing system. The commonly available translation into mondo isn't very good. There are better tables out there. Someone posted one on BOL years ago but I can't find it (I even linked to the post a few years ago and the link no longer works). http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCMQFjABahUKEwiKqZLFjvLHAhVHqx4KHbmDAiU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.bomberonline.com%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F38978-what-size-liners-did-your-upz-rc10s-come-with%2F&usg=AFQjCNFWQWcIlB-WUQzDXhFZvBJ0hkiDGg&bvm=bv.102537793,d.dmo

[Here's a table, from a post by BOL member Aracan: http://www.frozen-backside.de/index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=5830&h=2d136f2dfb12f310e7694be20faca70ae88b90f1 As for interpretation, all I can say is that I currently use the 9.5 liner in 312mm shell and it's very close in interior length to the other M28 boots I've tried: Deeluxe, Lange ski boots, Head. So I'm not sure what the "28.2" translation means: 28.2 - 29.1999...? That would be about right.]

That a certain shell with a think liner doesn't fit doesn't mean the same shell with a thinner liner doesn't fit. The best test is to try the bare shell and see if there's any crowding. If not, you can get a liner to fit. In your case, you have two options, a thinner size 6 Flo or an even thinner size 6.5 Flo.

This is indeed the 287 shell so should be correct for up to a 26.5.

The suggested maximum foot length is out there somewhere, and around 26.5.

I have a size 9 foot and wear a size 9 street shoe and have been riding in the Deeluxe Indy in a size 26.5 with no problem.

Remember the Deeluxe 26.5 is for feet 26.0 - 26.999.... The .5 may indicate a thinner footbed and/or liner than 26.0 but same shell. UPZ shell 287 isn't quite the same range as Deeluxe 26.

If I can believe the marking on the footbed which says 5.5, then it is the thickest liner made for a 25.5 foot, or one size too small for me.  

The 5.5 is the "smallest" (thickest) liner for the 287 shell, but 5.5 is _not_ short for 25.5. Simplest reason: 10 is roughly M29, or M28.5 if you believe the charts, 9.5 is roughly M28.5 or M28...

UPZ shell sizes increase by varying amounts (279 - 287 - 299 - 314 - 324 mm, if I recall), so the size range a shell fits isn't always 1 cm wide, let alone between consecutive integer mondo sizes. So mondo sizes don't map onto UPZ sizes neatly.

I also tried fitting in my Deeluxe thermo liners (26.5) in and could barely get my foot in the boot.

Thermo liners (the standard kind) have a thick foam sole and toe area. That takes up way too much room. The UPZ liners have a thin cardboard sole and elastic/neoprene toe, very thin, like race ski boot liners (but thicker). Huge difference. Try the newer Intuition liners if you want thermo (Pro Tongue for example)  -- they're thinner than my Flo. So much that my UPZ boots are too roomy with them.

These stock liners are already so thin (in my opinion), I can't imagine putting in a thinner liner.

Thin in comparison to Deeluxe thermo, yes. That's 100% intended, and I appreciate it. There are definitely thinner options!

I think the UPZs are great boots, and a godsend for those of us with narrow heels/ankle/rear foot area. I hope this can clear up some of the unfortunate difficulties people have getting the correct size.

Well, I guess we now know why you go by "teach". ;-)

Yes, I believe I had understood the gist of what you were saying the first time around. Your insight into UPZ sizing was, however, quite informative. It does make it difficult to compare apples to apples though, doesn't it? 

I do slightly disagree on a couple of minor points however. You say that if a bare shell doesn't fit the shape of ones foot, it won't fit with a liner. (You referred to it as "crowding"). It is my feeling that a properly molded liner can compensate for a poor fit in the shell. And yes, I like a thicker liner. I am not a racer. I am not a skier. I do not need nor do I want a thin, cold liner in my boot. I am a recreational carver. I want a boot that fits well and is comfortable and warm (relatively speaking). I believe I could make a larger UPZ size work with my foot, using a thermo liner. It was simply not clear to me prior to the purchase of theses boots that the shell sizing was so different from the Deeluxe. Now I know. 

It is all a moot point right now since the boots are shortly going to be on their way to Yooperboy.  Perhaps it is time for me to continue my hunt for new boots. I think Deeluxe this time. ;-)

Got your email, Luke. Sorry I was out of town all weekend, I sent you a reply re the Paypal. As Ted says, he has the boots, because I shipped them to him, he will on-ship them for me.

Ted's biggest problem with the boots was around the ankles, and  I can see that, because that shell size is small through the cuff, and over the arch of the foot. I know a few other people tried these boots on and couldn't even get their feet into them (and personally, it was a wrestling match the first dozen or so times for me as well). Because they have the asym design, they're much harder to get into than the Deeluxes, but consequently fit a lot better. So heads up to whoever buys these - these are definitely designed for people with narrow heels. I'll also reiterate that I have very, very narrow feet, so there will likely still be some pack in the stock liners. Even with that said, when I first had these on in the house, I couldn't have them done up for more than a few minutes because they were so tight, but they did break in pretty quickly.

And a pro tip - make sure they're unlocked when you're trying to put them on. That, not surprisingly, helps a lot!!

Edited by Allee