Note to New Members ×

Terminology question

RyanKnapton

I've seen a vid that was on the "vitelli carve"... where the rider puts the forearm / elbow into the snow quite a bit.  I'm wondering if thats what you all call it, or if there's other names for it, or if you name it, or if "vitelli" was a person or a type of elbow macaroni or what... lol.

Any insight would be appreciated!

The exact elbow down style I'm talking about I do at :05, :08, :21 and 1:05 in this vid.

https://youtu.be/car2R0UEUGY

Edited by RyanKnapton
  • Like 1

Ryan, welcome to Bomber Online. Nice carving!!! Nice riding in general.  The term is associated with carving , however, it is seldom used here.  More common in Europe I think? 

Here is a good explanation in IMHO. http://www.alpinecarving.com/ec.html

The Older Eurocarving style (Vitelli turns) were generally limited to a single laid-over turn, usually on toe side. Jean Nerva and Peter Bauer can be found carving laid-out Vitelli turns in older snowboard videos, but you never see them linking two laid-out turns in a row.

Hi Ryan

The turn you make at 1:04 to 1:08 is just AWESOME!  

I would call it 'Laid Out Carving'  

Videos like yours and Art of Carve (Haakonsen and Ferguson) give me hope for the what boarding may look like in the future.  

Cool

Rob

Edited by RCrobar

Vitelli was a rider from HOT snowboards AFAIK who popularized this kind of turn (yea, elbow dragging and all). Quite honestly I don't like either of these names, both "Vitelli turn" and "Eurocarving" sound very old school, the only time I've heard someone mention a Vitelli turn was 50+ and the name Eurocarving in particular makes my teeth grate...

I dunno, for me it's simply carving, you can add adjectives such as low, hand-dragging, etc. You could make the argument that 'carving' has been pushed so far out the mainstream that most people now qualify carving as anytime the board is 'on edge' regardless of the line left behind. So sure, maybe a new word could better define this type of riding with carving having lost its true meaning whereas extremecarving it's not (no mixup here, you need to be fully laid out). One surprising fact is the negative connotation of carving/extremecaring, every time I saw it brought up online there's a hefty backlash calling it boring, pointless, and dangerous while touting off-piste and big-air riding. So there's also that...

Hi Michael

This is exactly the reason you need the word carve in the name.  Young rippers will look up to riders like Ryan.  Guys like Ryan are going to teach and educate the young skidders what it really means to carve, they will listen to Ryan not us old farts.

As far as the other negativity goes.  It doesn't matter whether you play for the young, old, hard, soft, race, freecarve, EC, BMX, skateboard (you get the point) team,  there will always be the negative and loud minority that rain on the parade of the quiet majority. As the kids these days say, don't let the 'haters' get in your way of the fun you are having.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by RCrobar

Serge Vitelli. Hell of a guy.

Like the story on Rob, watching Serge and Keving Delaney in 89 on Blackcomb lay out toesides had me gaping. I was in the shop that afternoon drilling my back foot binder to accept 40 degrees. A game-changer which saw me boosted into the run-side woods on my second turn.

Ryan... If you want to see some mad sb carving, check out "Section 8 - How to carve a snowboard", on YouTube, and view Mike Bray slay. Those turns are the best I've seen in the world of lo angle sb riding. It was claimed by some that watching it damaged their vision. Others, some I have boundless respect for, claimed that it was beautiful. If you can learn those turns, with your butter transitions, you will be the new King in a very small circle.

Cool.  Thanks for the insight guys.  I seriously didn't know it was named from a person or what.  I'm still a bit confused on what I should use for a name on it though... (in a future tutorial)... cuz it does seem a bit different when you lay the forearm down and release a bit of pressure off the toeside edge (so for my setup with 15,-15 I can definitely go deeper on it vs. having my hand extended out and edge sinking in deeper).

BTW What binding angles are you using?

15,-15 and centered on a stiff twin 160. 

Thanks and Happy St. Patricks all!

https://youtu.be/He5mtq-PMas

I agree, carving is carving.  

I 'think' Ryan is talking about more of a Carving & Trick combination.

In the series of videos that West Carven provided, the Japanese group of riders call Ryan's type of moves Carving & Trick.

Check the 1:20 mark of this movie from West Carven.

What name do you give to a forward laid elbow down carve, to a backwards laid elbow down carve, then back to forwards again?  Does this qualify as a trick or just a carve? (Bert-Revert Carve, Alley-Oop Carve,  Alley-Oop Laid Carve etc?)

Kasper Karver called it Fakie-Switch carving, similar move(s) to Ryan.

I 'think' Ryan has asked the forum for help picking a name for the overall move, forward-backward elbow carve, that he will make into a video tutorial?  Is this correct?

Rob

I think the softie riders call getting air off the flex of the tail or nose without a transition an ollie, or at least they used to.

Many do, but they perhaps miss the fact that the main issue is that with an "Ollie" you're not fastened to the board...

Surfing has the 'Layback'

Skating has the 'Bert' ... which developed into the Bert-Revert.

Boarding already has the 'Vitelli' and the 'Euro-Carve' ... names many don't really like.

Boarding could have the 'The Layout'

The Japanese have already labeled the overall group of moves 'Carving&Tricks.'  This sounds awkward to me, so simplify this to 'Carving Tricks.'  I see this as the way Ryan is riding, carving between tricks, carving into tricks, or carving being the trick, etc.  

Under this main category, Carving Tricks, you can list an endless number of tricks.  One of these tricks being the 'Layout' the move where you put your elbow down; you have to go way further over to get your elbow vs just your hand to the snow.  Next will be Heelside and Toeside 'Layouts' ... etc.  

Ryan's move from the 1:04 to 1:08 could be known as the Toeside Layout to Revert, it's like Latin 101 for boarders :cool:

Well, that is my best crack at a name.
Cheers
Rob

Hi Ryan

In your St Patricks day video, at the 56 second mark, you do a cool and interesting Heelside Layout.  I can't remember seeing anyone riding softboots and duck (+15, -15 as you stated) use quite the same approach that you have to do a laid out heelside Layout in softies ... really cool!   :biggthump

You are a talented rider with a very smooth style, but I have one very subjective suggestion that comes from a place of respect for your skill.  I am not sure that you will physically be able to perform my recommendation with the wide duck stance.  When doing your board grab, the Z-Boys would call grabbing between the legs 'StinkBug' while grabbing around the rear leg looks super stylish to many.

Cheers
Rob Edited by RCrobar

Ryan, thanks for posting this video, you are a great rider that is doing something new -- or at least unusual and fresh. I'd love to see someone riding like that at my local hill. (Hell, this season, I'd love to see anyone riding at all...has not been a good snow year.)

Layout turns.

If you said "Vitelli" to anyone under 40, they wouldn't get it. The former describes it pretty well, but then you'd have to actually "lay out", which should mean hip on the snow, and beyond that, the whole body sliding, but still carving throughout. I have never actually seen anyone do this, heelside, on our (duck) angles. I'm talking not just butt down, but torso too.

There's a Russian guy on sb's who does them well, but his angles are pretty high, allowing that lateral hip movement that makes high-angle, laid turns much easier. The video is out there, somewhere.

Edit... The only people I know who actually ollie a snowboard would be doing it bindingless. Look up anything with Jeremy Jensen and Grassroots, or Wolle Nyvelt and Asmo, though Wolle has been known to use magnets.

Edited by Rob Stevens

Hey Rob

I gotta say was thinking the same thing that you pointed out.  

My thought process was that the high stance angle softboot style of laid out turns, in the video(s) below, is true linked and laid EC turns as defined by J&P.

The Heelside Layout that Ryan does, as defined by my one post :cool:, means he just has to get his elbow down. 

My call is that Ryan is trying to miss the camera and can make any type of turn that he feels like making, getting more elbow down if he wanted to.

It would appear that Ryan has been influenced by our hard-boot community, to me this is really cool!!

No matter what the term or definition, cool turns by a talented rider, thanks Ryan. :biggthump

Cheers
Rob#2

Edited by RCrobar
  • Like 1