Note to New Members ×

Schooled by a 185

slopestar

2011/12 sg 185 full race titan

Snow was 2" of man made tilled in just barely frozen granular. Great for a softy but scary in hardboots. I have never ridden this new to me board and honestly, was a bit scared of it. Small sidecut boards are easy and nimble but this was white knuckle for me...advice? Felt like it didn't want to turn even if tipped over

Originally Posted by Erik J
At the top of the run, grab your balls with one hand and beat your chest with the other like a wild silverback gorilla. Tell the mountain "I'm coming, do not f@$k with me."

unless you like nose flips, i'd go with a different board.

• Like 1

Soft slush is tough to carve in. I find I struggle to bend the stiffer/bigger boards. If I do push hard enough to bend it, it feels like it wants to sink down to the dirt.

As you found, the small boards are more fun in slush.

Snow conditions aside, you are anticipating a tighter turn and consequently angulate less (leaning to the center of the turn more). You don't get the tight turn at that edge angle and so fall to the inside of the turn. Solution: angulate consciously. It'll become natural quickly.

I have an older version of that board and did exactly what I described the first few times. It still happens when I'm making a low speed carved turn, like at the end of a run, and forget what board I'm on (aka getting sloppy).

Also, take this out on an empty slope if possible so you don't feel pressured. You'll find you can bring it around pretty quickly. It's a different story if you're trying to avoid all manner of sideshows and on-slope parties.

That thing has a massive scr. When you are doing 20 mph, add 5 mph then tip it and hang on!!

I didn't mean to be sarcastic either bro!! Hope it didn't come across that way.

Speed, truly, you need speed. Coming from what you know is a BIG jump, I think you kinda missed that 170-180 mid length board with that 13-15 m SCR (I could be wrong on that obviously)

I can't ride anything bigger than a 14 m SCR, they just don't initiate turns easily for my riding style. Even the 196 Oxess I had made is a 14 m SCR. Pure free craving, no racing obviously.

I remember trying my 197 Burner and fell on my belly three times before I realized how much speed I needed to be doing before I tried to turn that MF.

They are beautiful boards and in the right hands they can be ridden well.

Cant remember who it was but the quote went something like "Boards with big SCR can smell the fear" Definitely need big boy pants on riding it.

My $0.02

K

Edited by big canuck

it is a beast of a board that likes to be driven hard.  Really hard.  Stay off of it unless it is really firm, iirc it has a 21m sidecut, so speed, power, and firm snow are elements it needs for happiness

mario

I did. Any advice on transitioning from SL/BX based boards to something bigger would be helpful... I usually don't ask. I do and get this? Wth?

disregarded humour aside, it has been my personal discovery that long stiff boards with biggish SCR and soft deepish surfaces to not make for lasting happiness. in fact, even a 172 with 12m sidecut made for far too many noseflips, as recently as wednesday passed.

Thanks Kieran. I am a softy carver most of the time. My custom Donek saber with 9-11 SCR is pretty much my scalpel of choice. But that 185 has been waiting all winter and I had to take it up for at least one lap before our informal gathering AKA SNES in a couple weeks. Appreciate the advice and even the humor, just didn't expect a ribbing right out of the gate... I don't think I was able to get it up to proper speed and June will definitely give some more running room. Thanks all.

Try a few different 185's before you judge them all based on one ride.  The Kesslers tend to be a little bit more friendly.  I wouldn't say more forgiving; you still better come correct... but a little bit more friendly.  Once you wrap your head around the insane edge hold, you'll get used to the additional speed.  But be forewarned: when they do step out, you better hang on to your ass.  They're not for light weight, weak legged or weak willed riders with commitment issues, nor are they for flat, narrow, or crowded trails.  Smelling fear is actually a pretty accurate description because they will reward the smart and skilled and punish the foolish and clumsy.

Awesome advice. I have been missing that mid board for sure but I got the SG at a great price and I know there will be days for it. This wasn't one of them. On that note... Looking for that mid wide, built for 190+, metal, coiler, donek, 11-14 SCR bigger SL/FC type board 164-174. Have the proteus 170 demo as a trade as well. Really fun board but I need something a bit more diverse

Edited by slopestar

Awesome advice. I have been missing that mid board for sure but I got the SG at a great price and I know there will be days for it. This wasn't one of them. On that note... Looking for that mid wide, built for 190+, metal, coiler, donek, 11-14 SCR bigger SL/FC type board 164-174. Have the proteus 170 demo as a trade as well. Really fun board but I need something a bit more diverse

particularly what teach said about uncrowded slopes. freedom to choose your line makes everything easier, and while you could probably crank the turns out in a crowded area just the same afterward, there's nothing like space the first few times.

if you don't mind stock boards, a völkl renntiger 178 would probably be quite good. the black rubbertop models with the silver tiger seem to have a sidecut that is longer in the nose and tail than 13m radius suggests. i have the 183, but i'm at least 230#

A Coiler is not a Burton Custom...

Besides the Volkl, the Oxygen Proton GS have big radius sidecuts for their size, as do the Burton Factory Prime/UltraPrime. That allows you to get calibrated for larger radius sidecuts without feeling like you're the guy carrying the long 2 x 4 in the classic slapstick routine.

A different way to go would be a Coiler AM or Donek Axxess with bigger scr. The advantage is that they would work everywhere.

I'm fat. Its true.

I sold Slopstar my custom 165 Bamboo Donek a few years ago and if was/is F'n stiff even to me with hard boots and plates

I've seen veideos of him riding it IN SOFTIES and he was bending the sh*t out of it. This guy needs a beefy boards for certain!!!

Edited by big canuck