Note to New Members ×

Which binding is right for me?

Jutta

Help! Please bear with the relatively long narrative....

Here's the story: I'm 5'4", 120 lbs, and I'm ready to get (back) into my hard boots. (Raichle 125)

I tried learning to snowboard on a hard setup about ten years ago and, well, it just didn't work out.

Life happened, and precious time on snow was exclusively reserved for skiing.

Being stubborn, I put myself on a soft setup a few years back and things felt better.

Last year we finally moved to a spot that allows for more than a week on snow, and now boarding feels great. As in, I learned to carve

Nope, I'm in size 23 boots and would rather not modify the bindings.

I'm aware of the necessity for different heels, and I know the step-ins are more expensive in general - but I'm still trying to keep costs in check. Bling really isn't my thing

I have been using the F2  Intec RS with good results. They are quite flexible and not very heavy. A little hard to find in US. I got a pair from YYZ.(maybe all board sports also) The titaniums would be stiffer, so it would be whatever you prefer. I think you would need a size M (smaller) in the titanium? F2 says the RS Intec goes down to 22.5 M so should work. Also you may want to get an extra F2 lift kit as they only come with one 4* lift and some cant shims. I love mine.

Neil and Digger jr., thanks for your input. I was looking at the F2 Intec RS from YYZ, but then saw the posting for the titaniums and now I'm unsure.

On skis, I'm on a very stiff setup for my size, and I'm assuming that my carving will develop into that direction as well.

I think you are better off starting on a softer/flexier binding and then getting something different when you start over powering your bindings.  Your "soft" plates can be re-used for another less aggressive board: a free-ride or powder board.

I have TD3 SW on my carve deck and flexier Burton race plates set up to be a bit loose on my freeride and powder boards and I will have to say, it works pretty nice.

Edited by breeseomatic

Step-ins are extremely nice if you ride short runs. I bet I get an extra run or two per day due to step-ins on a 300' vertical hill.

Bomber TD3 bindings are awesome and their purchase funds this forum, but I don't think they're a good fit for you. I love mine and the peace of mind they bring with a very strong design, but you weigh 57% of what I do. LOL!

The F2s are good, I'd look there first.

Yes, what you said IMHO.  I"m 205 lbs and have not had a problem with the RS being too flexible. You could also trade with your hubby or mix, some people like stiff on the front and more flexible on the rear. Then you guys would have a stiff pair and a flexible pair to play around with. A flexible binding does not necessarily equate to less precision in carving unless your going to run high angles, like 65*-70* or more

Corey, I hope Fin still lets me in the Bomber House after recommending F2s! :)

Check that the F2 Carve RS will work with your boot size.   My wife used a size 22 Raichle boot before she became a full-time softbooter, and had issues with the Carve RS standards.   She liked the Race Titanium standards just fine and had no problem with them accommodating her small boots.     

Edited by Mike T

I have some stepins Blax (OEM from F2)  bindings for sale in the for sale section, 

I was using them regurlaly, I'm 160 pounds.

They'll fit you great, they're a bit softer than the F2. My boots are 26.5, I'm sure the bindings can fit a mondo 23.

Check the orange bindings at http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/40889-f2-proflex-and-blax-stepin-bindings-and-intec-heels-for-sale/

Another option would be to buy a set of F2 Race Titanium bindings for their flexibility and low cost, and when you're ready for a bit more, you can convert them to step ins for less than what a used set of Intecs would cost.  I would spend the extra money on the Fintec heels over the F2 versions, though.

I'm quite a bit heavier than you (150lb), but ride both the Carve RS and the Titaniums. I like the RS's for a little more give on my all mountain boards, and ride the Titaniums exclusively on my carvers. I'm on step-ins.

For someone your weight, the RS's will be more than fine. I tried Bombers and they weren't for me. I much prefer a stiffer board, and stiffer boots, with some give in the interface, and the F2's work brilliantly for that. The Titaniums are for sure stiffer - I wouldn't say unmanageably stiff, but definitely a little more immediate feel-wise than the RS's.

The other thing I love about F2's is the ease of moving them around between multiple boards. Bombers are great, and solid, but I spent time last Xmas with a friend on Bombers - and I could swap my bindings, ride the chair, and run a lap while she was still dismantling and re-assembling her bindings between boards.

I will recommend that you spring for the Fin-tec heels if you go step-in. I inherited a set of Fin-tecs on my new to me boots this year, and they are head and shoulders better than the Intecs for feel and engagement. I'm thoroughly impressed with them.

Nice to see you back too. Good to hear you're giving the alpine gear another go.

Edited by Allee

• 2 weeks later...

I am 120lbs and have mondo 23 boots.  I'm riding Bomber TD2s and love, love, love them - so don't let anyone tell you light riders can't use the stiffer bindings!  Do not be afraid to try out Bomber bindings if you get the chance - they are a super high quality product and always worth a test drive.  The F2s are lovely bindings too and will serve you well if you choose to go with them.

One thing to look out for down the road - bindings are generally made for bigger boots and are not optimized for small footed folk.  I find that with every other binding I have tried - so much of the bias adjustment room is taken up just by getting the binding to fit the boot - that on most of my boards I can place my boot exactly where I want it on the board ONLY with the Bombers.  I have tried lots of other bindings, and do use a set of Nidecker Carbon Comps on my mush/chop/rock board which is a bit wider than my good carvers.  But being able to just get your boot in the binding is not the same thing as being able to adjust it to exactly where it needs to be.  This will probably not be an issue for the first few years, however if you start really laying down some low carves - depending on your board widths (skinnier boards will be more problematic) and angles you prefer - it could possibly become an issue.  

Have fun!  :)