Note to New Members ×

CARVERS GONE WILD" /OKEMO '05

Bricky

EAST COAST CARV...RENAMED "CARVERS GONE WILD"/Okemo '05, MARCH 9-13.

"CARVERS GONE WILD "

OKEMO '05

"Carvers, show us your.....Boards"

To fill the "carving vacuum" left by the disappearance of ECES, lets get together at Okemo.

Many carvers have already committed.

We will look into housing deals, ticket deals, sponsors, demos, video & stills, etc.

Please indicate your commitment to attend, questions, expanding the dates, etc. by posting here on Bomberonline.com.

If you are interested in helping us organize this, please get in touch by Bomber email or call me at 732-604-0594 (T-Mobile cell) or 856-404-4990 (Verizon cell for Vermont starting on the 9th)

NAME CHANGE: I was asked to change the name to avoid confusion with next years event"ECS", at Sugarloaf.....I picked "CARVERS GONE WILD". Hope you like it!!!

DATE EXPANSION: I have expanded the dates to March 9-13 to help out "weekend only" Carvers on the 13th and Wednesday the 9th for those who can make it.

WHY CARVE OKEMO IN 'O5?

1. LOTS OF BLUE AND BLACK GROOMED

RUNS

2. KNOWN FOR EXCELLENT GROOMING,

EVERY NIGHT. SOMETIMES DOUBLE

GROOMING, THEY SAY.

3. NICE WIDE RUNS. TREES HURT.

4. BIG MOUNTAIN

5. LOTS OF SNOWMAKING

5. CHARMING TOWN

6. DON'T BELIEVE ME? SEE PSR's POST

ON THE OLD CATEK F0RUM.

TICKETS-GROUP SALES. Okemo requires a minimum of 20 persons to participate to obtain a group discount. Sunday thru Friday, ticket prices would drop to $45.00 from $61.00 Saturday would drop to 52.00 from $67.00. Please email if you wish to participate. They will only accept 1 or 2 checks to make payment, so I will open a special checking account, if it looks like we are going to get 20 or more. Pick any days you wish. Group rates at even lower prices are also available for 7-18 year olds and 65 and up. They need to know the final details 48 hours in advance.

If you want to participate, I need you to send your check to Had Brick, 67 Bay Shore Drive, Toms River, N. J. 08753. with ticket dates to be purchased. Checks need to be made out to Saybrook, Inc. If we don't reach 20, you will get a check back immediatley. I should have your check by March 5, 2005.

LIFT TICKETS- Skier Appreciation Day is Thursday, so your lift ticket will be $39.

Sunday Solution. for those of you planning to attend Sunday, please note that they have a "Sunday Solution' for riding from 8:00am to 1:30 pm for $55 for adults instead of the full day for $67.

LIFT TICKET DISCOUNTS- "MOUNTAINS OF DISTINCTION"- See the separate post below for list of Qualifying Mountains. If you have a Season Pass at a Qualifying Mountain, you will get $10 off on Saturday or 50% off for Sunday through Friday. A midweek pass will only get midweek discounts, though.

HOUSING - GROUP SALES. Minimum of 20 people needed (not 20 units). Since many of you have secured private housing, and they don't have enough rooms at this time ($900-$1,100 per 3 day stay), this is not going to happen.

HOUSING- NON GROUP, AT THE

MOUNTAIN. CALL 800-776-5149

800-786-5399. www.okemo.com

HOUSING - LUDLOW AREA. Okemo suggests calling:

1. Strictly Rentals at 800-776-5149

2. Killi-Kemo Real Estate 800-333-2504

also try:

Trails End Accomodations, Inc.

888-872-4544

HOUSING- MOTELS, etc.

1. All Seasons Motel, 888-228-8100

2. Best Western Ludlow, 802-228-8188

3. Happy Trails, 800-228-9984

4. Magic View Motel, 802-824-3793

5. Motel-in-the-Meadow 802-875-2626

6. Timber Inn Motel, 802-228-8666

7. Slopeside Only Condo Rentals,

802-228-8999

Don't forget some offsite lodging places will have a package deal with ticket.

There are other more expensive locations. Contact me for a complete listing whcih I can fax to you or pick up a copy of the Okemo Mountain Guide at your local board shop.

AIRPORTS. Please see the post from Pat Moore regarding airports.

BEST CARVING RUNS. TonyZ recommends his top 10 carving runs below. If you arrive late, this is where you will most likely meet other Carvers.

TONYZ'S BEST CARVING RUNS, in order of priority.

1. Upper Chief, a good warm up if no

racing is scheduled.

2. Upper and Lower Fall Line ( If lift is

open)

3. Rimrock to Wildthing (underneath

the Southface Quad.

4. Timberline (Hopefully triple chair will

be open) If the chairlift is closed for

Timberline, still do the lower section.

the snow is always good that area

(Solitude)

5. Sapphire to Solitude base area

6. Exhibition and Heaven Gate

(Solitude area)

7. Lower Limelight to Jackson Gore

Base

8. Quantum Leap (Jackson Gore area)

9. WarDance (Hopefully no race

warmups)

10. Jolly Green Giant (Narrow trail but

very nice)

3 more- Sunburst, Upper Tomahawk and Upper World Cup.

Meeting location at 10 am, for late arrivals: Ride the Solitude Express Quad and you should see Carvers.

You will spend most of the day in the Solitude area. You can go back and forth to Jackson Gore and the Summit Peak very easily from Solitude, via high speed quad.

CARVERS ONLY, PRIVATE RUN. I have put a request in for a run for "Carvers Only". They are going to see what they can do. Midday regrooming is not possible. I tried!

Print this out now and put it in your carving jacket!

FRS RADIO CHANNEL. 5, SUBCHANNEL 12.

STILL PHOTOS. Bring your camera

VIDEO. Kevin Burke, (pawblo.com)who did much of the Video at 2002 ECES at Stratton may be able to make it. I suggested Friday and Saturday. He skis very fast and can simply follow Carvers down the hill, besides the stationary shots. I would hope that everyone can make a small $$contribution.

CHANNEL 12, BRATTLEBORO. They will consider airing some video or .JPEG stills on Saturday, if we get them to them by Friday. their email for stills is spotsrsn12@adelphia.net. Can any of you locals with internet help with this? Video would have to be sent by a server, Todd Maietta, at Channel 12, says.

RSN NETWORK. We have contacted RSN.com, which now covers Okemo. They have agreed to look at our video and if it is good enough, they will consider airing some of it!!!

I also am looking for volunteers with or without cameras to record all the fun.

Several of you have offered to bring video cameras.

TonyZ suggests the Solitude area and Jackson Gore area and Upper Chief for carving photography spots .

EVERY MORNING: At the Lift at the Base Lodge, or earlier in the cafeteria for breakfast. Lifts open at 8 am on the weekends, 9 am weekdays. Then let the degrooming begin!

TonyZ reports that although the lifts open officially at 9 am during the week, he has gotten on as early as 8:35. You groom smasher !!! Maybe they will let us on early on the weekends, too.

LUNCH: 11:45am. Let's grab some seats, Sugar House. Outdoor and Indoor service. Located on the slope, above the Base lodge. Close enough to ride down and get something from your duffle bag or switch boards at the Base Lodge, and return to the Sugar House.

APRES' CARVE: 3-6 PM. Sitting Bull Bar, In the Base Lodge. Let's do a daily group Photo outside the Sitting Bull. I need some of you to bring Carving Videos/DVDs to play in the bar, if they will let us. They have a big screen TV. Does anyone have the SES 2003 and 2004 DVDs?

DINNER: Some final info or changes may be spread by "word of mouth" or posted on a possible "Carvers Gone Wild" Bulletin Board. See me on the mountain. I'm always in an Orange Jacket with Black pants and black helmet, and usually on an Orange Board

Wednesday: You're on your own.

Thursday: 7pm, Christopher's Sports & Spirits, The Mill, 145 Main Street, across from Factory Point Bank. I've told them 30 Carvers will attend.

Friday: 7 pm Christopher's Sports & Spirits. Let's have a Brainstorming Session" about expanding the number of Carvers and a Q&A session about "Tips and Techniques". I've told them 30 carvers will attend.

(Okemo wanted $500 just for the Banquet Room, plus food, so I didn't do it.)

Saturday: 7pm, Christopher's, no reservations, it may be packed. If there is a consensus, we can go elsewhere Saturday. Ronski suggests the Roundhouse.

Restaurant/Bar suggestions from you locals would be appreciated.

HOT TUB: One of you needs to rent a place with an indoor pool and/or hot tub! Hard Carving needs Hot Water.

ALL DAY GATHERING SPOT/TENT: Do any of you have a tent like the Bomber tent? Chairs too? TonyZ is bringing a tuning stand.

BULLETIN BOARD: I am thinking trying to erect a small "Carvers Gone Wild" Bulletin Board - a piece of Orange cardboard on a wooden stake or a wall at the bottom of the Solitude Lift and outside the Sitting Bull. You could leave messages there for other Carvers, too.

GROUP PHOTO: Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 4:20pm, outside the Sitting Bull, or we may try it outside the Sugarhouse after Lunchtime, say 12:30pm.

BOARD LEASHES REQUIRED. TONY Z RECOMMENDS BOARD LOCKS.

DEMO GEAR: There will be some privately owned boards to demo. I will pursue Manufacturer's/Dealers demo gear. I will bring a Burton Alp 164, with Burton Bindings, to loan.

SWAP MEET, USED BOARDS, BINDINGS, BOOTS, ETC: Every evening in the Sitting Bull. Bring your gear you want to part with for hard cash. Make a new carver happy! Ronski will be offering the following boards:

1. Elan Ballistic 171

2. Volkl Renntiger 168

3. Sims Burner 167 Split Tail

4. Volkl Cross 159

5. Volkl Renntiger 158

CELL PHONE COVERAGE: I am researching this. Can you assist? T-Mobile is still dead in Vermont, I presume. Verizon reportedly works.

SPONSORS: All sponsors are welcome. Please contact me.

BUYING GEAR: The Startingate, the Carvers Headquarters is less than an hour away, near Stratton. CMC works there. Get those new boots with bootfitting, new bindings, new boards, overnight tuning, etc. www.startingate.net.

Route 30, Bondville, VT. 802-297-1213. Ask for CMC a/k/a Curt.

Alpine Trader near Mt. Snow, 316 Route 100 in West Dover, VT sells Prior and Nidecker boards, tunes Carving boards and some of the staff are Carvers. (Rob will be attending) Walk in the front door and carving boards will be staring at you!! 802-464-7101, fax 802-464-3841, www.alpinetrader.com This store is about 60 minutes south of Okemo.

Out of Bounds,Top of the Killington Road, Killington, 802-422-8778. Ask for

Vinnie. www.oobsnowboards.com. Open 'til midnight on Fridays.

Performance Downhill, Route 1, Hampton Falls, New Hampshire,sells Deeluxe Boots, see their ads on Ebay.

866-766-9700. Ask for Eric. Fairplayusa@mindspring.com

INSTRUCTION, LESSONS" In response to popular demand.... John Gilmour may be here to give his "Get Dialed In" Seminar. This is a chalk talk and "on the snow" format event. He will help you with your board/binding/boot setup "on the rug" and then go out and watch you ride, with further comments. He needs a minimum of 6 carvers at $40 each. Please indicate your interest here on Bomberonline.com. The Seminar is conditioned upon John returning from Aspen in time.

PSR (Eric Brammer) WILL BE RIDING WITH US ON THURSDAY, WITH CHRIS NELSON. He and Chris will be available for lesson time/tips. See my March 9th post below for more details.

PSR suggests that you contact Chris Nelson, a Level 3 Carving Instructor at Okemo on the other days.

Ronski has volunteered to help out with tips also.

New Carvers, don't be bashful! Ask questions of all the carvers you see, anything you want to know.

MEDICAL EMERGENCY: Although you won't be injured carving, you might be hit by a downed airplane or helicopter or attacked by a Bear, Elk or the Easter Bunny so I would suggest providing Emergency Medical Contact Info to me and a couple of other carvers. You should also keep a printed sheet in your pocket.

OFFICIAL ADDRESS: If you need to have something FEDEXed to you, the address is: Okemo Mountain Resort

(Your name) - Guest, ATTN: Admin.

Office

77 Okemo Ridge Road

Ludlow, VT 05149

802-228-1780

ATTENDANCE LIST, AS OF 3/7/05:

Bricky (Had Brick & Jeanette Brick)

856-404-4990 (Verizon cell)

THE "CARVEFATHERS"

Ronski (Ron Maita)

Elliot

Mike B.

Jeff V.

Wes

PSR (Eric Brammer), Thursday Only

Chris Nelson, Level 3 Instructor

TonyZ

WillyWhit

JP1

Frappe

Aisling

JTslalom

Tpalka

Mad1

Jeremiah & 2 newbies

Patmoore

Fred Murray

Chubz

Jesse

Aikidan

GtheGardner

Miguel & 2 friends

Ethanpt

BanjoBill

BBQ Chef

Motopilot

Rusty

Scott

Ncermak

GlennC

Mike Tokar, had to cancel, daughter's recital

Mike Tokar's 3 friends

BobbyBuggs

Bob L.

Wes Coleman and 1 friend on softies, soon to be converted

kfots

Steph

SWriverstone & Holly

Rob

Barry

Mr. Colon

PC

Viking1918

Mikemcse

JBS

GlennC

Kmartshopper

John Gilmour, possibly

Kriss

EZE

Ursle

Zurfer

Donna

so far, that adds up to over 50 !!!

"GET DIALED IN" SIGNUPS as of 3-7-05

Is this everybody or did I miss you? Date is not set yet.

Mr. Colon

Jeremiah

SWRiverstone

Holly

Patmoore

Zurfer

Nucarve

John Gilmour is thinking of being here Thursday, and can stay Friday if he can find a ride back to Boston Friday evening.

GROUP TICKET SALES - I DIDN'T RECEIVE THE MININIMUM OF 20.

.....and I am sure others who have not posted their intentions. The Fever is building!

HAPPY TRENCHING!!

MORE INFO COMING!!!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bricky, that sounds great but how about doing it at an ASC mt like Mt Snow or Killington ? I can put up a whole bunch of people for $15 a night at Mt Snow. Good idea doing it thursday thru saturday. I know I can get a bunch of discounted tickets at Mt Snow too.

Hey! Had the brick man! I thought maybe a brick fell on your head:D It's good to hear from you! If this is going to be my last season of riding, I will do my very best to be there so count me in! Is Ronski coming, that POS! LOL. Tell him to bring that Madd tool with him! Maybe Kenny M will be there too!

......Check with Willywhit on what's the deal with tickets for Mt Snow. Might be a better chocie.

Cheers!!!!

Originally posted by Miguel

I've never been to Mt Snow but Okemo is great for carving.

Both Mts are excellent for carving fun. I could be wrong about this, but I sense some people don't give Okemo a chance. It has many good carving trails. Maybe not as tough as Killington, but great grooming and better than Stratton. :cool:

This is a little premature, and not quite the way I wanted to say this, but I guess now I have no choice. The event that happened last year at Sugarloaf is going to rise again next year, with full support from Catek, Bomber, BJD, Donek, etc, etc. I have assembled a team, but haven't yet contacted all the sponsors, so I can't give out the full list yet. Next year's session will be everything last year's was and more. We'll have all the deals, demos, prizes, parties, a better banquet, and plenty of other good stuff.

So, I'd recommend taking a break from Sugarloaf this year, and have some fun exploring somewhere else.

Thanks,

-Jack

in like late Jan or better yet Feb...I'm coming from Japan and would really like to make it but the soonest I'll be stateside is mid Jan and I have a bunch of commitments as soon as I set foot...however I would really really like to attend/meet/carve with y'all

I know there are a few folks from eastern PA interested in making the trip, just let us know where and when. $15 a night to shack up sounds good to me as long as I'm not being cuddled by someone when I wake in the morning.

"Those arent pillows!"

Planes, Trains, Automobiles

Greg

Originally posted by jp1

Gecko, the 'Original Post' from Bricky stated "March 10-12 @ Okemo" that date should be good for you, no ??

jp1

Hai however I was refering to the 2006 version at the Loaf that Jack was working on...What month were the the OLD ECES anyway????

Guest jeremiah

I'm in. I would prefer Mt. Snow just because my house is 3 miles down the road, but I drive to Stratton every day anyway, so a couple extra miles to Okemo wouldn't kill me. Any chance of discounts to Okemo? It would cost me $375 to upgrade my pass to include Okemo, so not worth it for a weekend.

Jeremiah

I can make Okemo on Saturday the 12th.

There are a lot of good groomed cruisers there. Chief has one steep stretch and some if the run is under the main lift line.

There's a nice NASTAR course too if anyone wants to try running gates.

I can probably house a few people on Friday and Saturday night. I have a condo in Proctorsville - five miles from Okemo.

Guest motopilot

How about a session not on a weekend? I know some people only have weekends off but for others, I would take a weekday of riding over a usual crowed weekend. Weekends are for teaching and making $$$. Weekdays are riding and having fun. I'd prefer Okemo over MtSnow and count me in!

Not for nothing guys, but Bricky put out a date and a place. He's getting it done. Everyone has a mountain they would prefer. hell, I'd prefer if they ran world cup races at my home hill. But thats not the way it works.

It strikes me as such a forum mentality, that someone announces something, and then everyone wants to change it...

but enough Rant...I'll try to sneak up for a day or two. Okemo is great for me...keep me posted.

-Noah

OKemo is OK. This doesn't have to be just a one time get together either.I'll be staying in Dover at Mt Snow regardless of where it's held and I just got an email from the steward regarding a group of guests at the ski club and it looks fine. More carvers = more fun :) :) :)