if you had to choose a deck to be your one and only  

59 members have voted

1. 1. if you had to choose a deck to be your one and only

• small to medium carver or race deck less than 180
    • the big gun 180+ alpine deck
    • all mountain carver for example a Donek Axis
    • softboots on freeride/freestyle deck
    • giant freeride deck like a tanker or dough boy
    • what? no way, I have to have a few boards.
    • skis

Guest Randy S.

I literally just finished a conversation about "snowboarding is better than $ex" with someone. When I saw the title of this thread I thought for sure that's what this was about.

As for a board. My Donek Freecarve 171 is all the board I'd need. I'd order one with a few more inserts so I could move the bindings back if there's soft snow.

FWIW, I'd choose snowboarding and take care of the other business by hand. No second thoughts on that subject. ;)

I have a Donek Freecarve II, a Coiler AM and a Donek Inline. I find my that favorites change from time to time and conditions certainly influence my choice, but recently I've been spending most of my time on the Coiler AM with the 21.5 waist. I'm actually a little surprised at this myself. I practically lived on the Freecarve in the past. I pretty much save the Freecarve for primo conditions and use the Coiler for everything else...which is to say...most of the time.

Only one ? It'd have to be a not so giant freeride ( wish I still had a Doughboy though, instead of being one :) ) mid 170's with some flexy Raichles. It'd be fun for pow, pipe, & lock down the boots for groomers. Unspectacular, but fun, better 75% rage than 0!

I have only one board, it is a medium sized freecarve board (166 - 18.5 cm). But I feel However, I think I would prefer an all mountain board (like a Coiler AM) even though I have never tried one. A freecarve board is great, but when conditions get crappy, it's much more work (because of the width and stiffness) and less fun.

Originally posted by Jon Dahl

But he did allow for a two board quiver! So, 180, 12 meter sidecut,18.5-19 waist, custom built Donek or Coiler. Hmmm, maybe I'd better order one now! Now, what to do about pow?

If I had to ditch the quiver I'd definitely do the all-mountain carver thing.

Wanna use my custom Coiler AM template?

182 overall

157 effective edge

12.7 sidecut

19.5 waist

Originally posted by Randy S.

I literally just finished a conversation about "snowboarding is better than $ex" with someone. ...FWIW, I'd choose snowboarding and take care of the other business by hand. No second thoughts on that subject. ;)

Depending on which one is better, I think it depends on which one you haven't been getting.

If it's the middle of summer and you're getting laid everyday, then snowboarding gets my vote. In the middle of a dry spell, sex is better than anything.

Now for the snowboard part of the debate, if it truly was only one snowboard for everything, I'd choose a Donek Incline 160. That could cover carving, the snowboard park/halfpipe and powder. But I'd still need two sets of boots.

For the 2 board quiver, it'd be my Oxygen GS 164 (or maybe a Swoard) and a freestyle board (currently a Burton Balance 152). Carving board and freestyle board was my entire quiver for many years.

The 3 board quiver is when I would add a powder specific board. I hit the snowboard park/halfpipe a lot more often than I get powder.

Pure Carve Maverick 175 is the all round ride for the past 3 seasons but I'm getting tired of it since I rode the Madd BX 168. As far as sex goes, I'm sticking with the tall brasilian model. I've got no desire to demo anything else. She's really sweet :p !

Would love to try a 4X4, Axis or Coiler AM so that I could truly make a decision.

Of the carve/race boards I currently own, my weapon of choice would have to be that little Madd 170!! That thing continues to amaze me in its edge-hold, speed, and overall versatility!