Note to New Members ×

spring crud

yooperluke

Mineral spirits does work well to remove gunk, however, it will also saturate your base, along with any oily type product.

Wax for sure, look at each manufacturer, and something they recommend for higher humidity, for some thats a higher fluoro wax, or a different wax all together. checkout racewax.com they make some of their own wax, or tognar tool.

To remove gunk, the best method is to hot scrape.

You would want a warm temp wax, cheap hydrocarbon will do. You will want to put it on and have it still molten and soft, and then you scrape it off, while still as hot as possible, on a snowboard this may mean re-heating some of the base. Do not go crazy with heat though.

You will see the wax that comes off is brown or black or whatever color the contaminents are in your base, you would want to do this until the wax is clear. Also, if you did use mineral spirits or anything, you would have to use this method to get rid of any contaminents from the chemicals or oils. Base cleaners strip your base of wax also, so the hot scrape method really is the best.

Back in the day at Snoqualmie Pass they put a diesel soaked straw bail at the base of each lift to wipe the pinetar/gunk & debris of the skis each run, not good for the ptex tho,

after trying lots of different waxes we found oneballjay black magik summer slush graphite is the best gunk repelent made. Just bought 2 more cakes of the f1 flouro silicone version. After a good cleaning/ hot scrape multiple light coats of black magick brass brushed in (rather than scraped) between coats to work it in deep.

PS zardoz will not repel pine tar, from experience, no comparison

Edited by b0ardski

Oil dripping from groomer, gum, pine tar, tree sap in general, cigarette butts , grease dripping from lifts , spilled Red Bull, snow max particulate, every piece of global debris deposited with snow and the cocktail of everyone's wax used all season long. You didn't think you were riding on snow all season long did you ?

pollen, dust, lichen from the trees, dust and exhaust particulates, "float" to the surface of the snow pack as it melts and the spring winds add more dirt & debris from the trees making the snow very dirty and the friction of fast moving ptex melts the "acid rain" chemicals, dirt & bio matter into a sticky black goo that acts like klister sticking to the ptex,

graphite and silicone help keep it from sticking to your bases

Edited by b0ardski

I use a warm wax and I carry a rag soaked in Simple Green cleaner (undiluted) in a ziplock bag and wipe the base every so often.

Keep it neatly folded and as you use it unfold it and use a new area of the rag. Keep the base wet and shiny and zip down the hill!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uNXXJ0L-9yI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I do not work for or own stock in Simple Green, I just found that it helps me zip by everyone on the mountain!

Edited by I_LOVETT
Clarification on the explanation

classic:biggthump

Back in the day at Snoqualmie Pass they put a diesel soaked straw bail at the base of each lift to wipe the pinetar/gunk & debris of the skis each run, not good for the ptex tho,

after trying lots of different waxes we found oneballjay black magik summer slush graphite is the best gunk repelent made. Just bought 2 more cakes of the f1 flouro silicone version. After a good cleaning/ hot scrape multiple light coats of black magick brass brushed in (rather than scraped) between coats to work it in deep.

PS zardoz will not repel pine tar, from experience, no comparison