Note to New Members ×

Help with slogans for anti-straightliner campaign

arneburner

I ride a small rural hill. I ride with armor.

Many of those we observe straight-lining can ONLY straight-line. They've progressed past the falling leaf but have no ability to control their speed and their completely unfamiliar with the basic rules.

As my son and I ride the lift we often bet on where they will wipe out... our observations are this group is wildly unpredictable.

Stay safe don't straight line.

or

Friends don't let friends straight line.

full disclosure (for context, consider that i'm going back almost 30 years and am referring to my teen self who went on a few bus trips to NY, PA and VT a few times as a teenager. always on skis back then) i was most definitely a straight line skier once i "learned" to stay on my feet the whole way down the hill. the skis were straight and if someone had told me to keep my hands in front and be athletic about picking up my feet when turning, it'd been different.

there were never lessons. when the bus doors opened, it was a rush to the rental garbage and then the chair. the chaperones were trying to get their own ski on and instruction was never mentioned. everybody wore cotton and wool, right? is it that much different now. the resorts will take the additional money for a lesson but how many parents pay the additional cost that it requires. maybe the kid even lobbies against it. renting a helmet is the additional expense that most people rationalize, i think.

none of this is to defend straighlining - i dislike it as much as anyone, especially now that i have my kids on the hill. i run interference for them because of this very concern.

some frat boys in jackets with crests and tweed caps were at Gunstock straightlining en masse a couple of years ago. drive you nuts. i suspect most had the ability to stop or turn but they clearly made it appear to be like a game of chicken. i still think they were more dangerous than one kid in jeans with arms straight out, yelling the whole way. east coast.

After nearly being hit by a straight-liner kid skier yesterday, I think that people need to be aware of the dangers of straight-lining. Slogans that come to mind include:

Only you can prevent sl'ers

S lining kills

mothers don't let your kids grow up to be sl'ers

Here's one:

"Any jackass can straightline. Most of them do."

After nearly being hit by a straight-liner kid skier yesterday, I think that people need to be aware of the dangers of straight-lining. Slogans that come to mind include:

Only you can prevent sl'ers

S lining kills

mothers don't let your kids grow up to be sl'ers

Here's one:

"Any jackass can straightline. Most of them do."

• 2 months later...

I recently got some swag which included a Burton Carnivore sticker with the image of some kind of prehistoric critter in a speed tuck. I cut all the Burton letters off and situated them on the back of my helmut so that they spelled 'Turn Bro' like a cross-word puzzle. Six letters. Four down and three across.

I was pretty stoked with how concise and yet non-confrontational it is. The chopped up letters have a sort of punk appearance too, which never hurts.

You might beat me to the bottom by a few seconds, but I will have traveled thrice as far!
Edited by morganmachen

Don't know that they care about what we say 'cause they think it's cool to go straight and fast...My last day at my local mountain this year had a s/l cut between me and the edge of slope as I was easing into a stop...I stretched my hand pointer finger to thumb and put it between his track and the end of my board...It reached...That's about 7"...AND he was going Mach Schnell! I went home...

We have a nice kid working at the bike shop.He gleefully told me the other day that he's "pretty good at snowboarding cuz I can shoot straight down the hill without turning". The mood in the mechanics' area changed for a while after I told him quite firmly,"If you or anyone else ever hits my kids while straight-lining,I will take the law into my own hands."

We have a nice kid working at the bike shop.He gleefully told me the other day that he's "pretty good at snowboarding cuz I can shoot straight down the hill without turning". The mood in the mechanics' area changed for a while after I told him quite firmly,"If you or anyone else ever hits my kids while straight-lining,I will take the law into my own hands."

Good on ya' man...I usually don't have the courage to say anything. Best I can do is raise a "Hmmmm" and a "Oh, look what time it's gotten to be..." Usually those kind of people aren't the kind of people I have an interest in interacting with...Glad you expressed. That objection may have just saved somebody a world of hurt. Maybe planted a seed...