Note to New Members ×

Jasey Jay interface

wjholm

Contact JJA, my understanding is he is very good at explaining how to adjust for different conditions. D.T. may be able to provide more comment to this since he is the one with a JJA that I heard it from. JJA may be a bit more difficult to reach at this time being close to the five ring circus. Good luck, I hear JJA boards rip once set up properly.

Ink

The basics:

It is very adjustable, so......

Should I compensate for regular vs goofy?

How can the plate vary the boards flex? I understand this may be a complex question. I have my stance dialed for my other boards, I will vary my stance for different boards and occasionally for conditions. Now the plate isolates me from these changes, how do I let it work for me?

The JJA seems more adjustable than other plates. It's my first try at any plate. I've searched this forum and the web to glean some insight. Basically, I'm lost but intent to learn.

Until you can get response from JJ I would suggest you read up on some of the info on the Plate tread. Yes you can set up for assym as well as regular or goofy also as mentioned in the plate thread having the plate mounts closest to the bindings give the most responsive feel (direct feel) mounts outside the dimensions of your stance will soften the feel of the plate. A lot of experimentation is available with your plate. It can also compensate for some of the characteristics of the particular board you ride. ie; move your stance more forward or rear than the boards inserts would normally allow. Very narrow plate hardware mounts verses wider mounts will affect board flex grip on ice etc. You have a lot of work ahead of you but the rewards will be great. A plate will improve the performance of any board but will provide the best results in the worst conditions.

Should I compensate for regular vs goofy?

I figure I'm not a good enough rider to bother setting the plate up for my regular stance, so sorry, I'm no help there.

How can the plate vary the boards flex? I understand this may be a complex question. I have my stance dialed for my other boards, I will vary my stance for different boards and occasionally for conditions. Now the plate isolates me from these changes, how do I let it work for me?

The JJA plate is more flexible and less rigid than any of the other plates that I have seen/ridden - this makes it very easy to pedal the plate and have good sensation for the snow under the board.

By attaching the plate to the board in the widest UPM holes (so that mounts are closest to nose and tail of board), you decrease the length of the nose and tail, resulting in a stiffer feeling board. Conversely, if you mount the plate in the UPM holes closest to the middle of the board, you increase the length of the nose and tail, resulting in a softer feeling board. For the hardcore racers, they can dial-in the mounting position of the plate based on the conditions of the day. I've played with the combo in the "soft" and "stiff" locations and noticed a significant difference in feel. You are going to have to play around and find the best configuration for your weight, riding style, snow conditions, mountain, etc... Don't be afraid to tinker!

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if there's any generic how-to on how people should mount the plate?

I've seen some video where Sigi shows how to mount a plate. He says that typically you want your axles 6-8cm (2.5-3.5") wider then your stance. And you put your front binding 5-7cm back from fron axel. And rear binging places right over read axle.

Obviously, if you put your plate wider - board will feel stiffer, and if you put axles closer - it will be softer a bit.

If there's any articles or forum posts, that might be used as how-to to find a starting position? I remember that someone(Sean?) wrote here or on video, that many people have their plate mounted non-properly. So what is the proper position to mount the plate?

No real plate 101. If you start centred as your bindings were before the plate was installed and the mounting hardware as close to your bindings as possible you will be starting similar to riding without the plate. It won't really feel the same but will show you the difference between plate and no plate. Every adjustment from there will be to attain a more personal preference. All other rules to setting up bindings and stance will apply. Washing out tip or tail my indicate shifting plate fore or aft etc. A plate provides an opportunity to experiment many more variables than are available without a plate. Some can't handle dealing with this much choice. Under ideal conditions don't expect a plate to enhance you ride that much. Under less than ideal conditions it can do more.

If I understand the physics right, if I put the axles right under my foot - board will be a bit more turny(=softer), as I got extra lift, and this makes bigger lever. Pretty the same as I have my burton Risers mounted on the board, right or even softer, because board can bend easily, and typically plates are higher.

I've watched couples of videos and both same: mount axles 5-7cm(Sigi) or 6-10cm (Donek) wider then your stance so front axle gets right under binder bail. and rear axle gets right under rear bail or heel.

Is that correct and how most people riding the plates? May be you've moved from this to any other configuration?

I put the front axle under the ball of my foot, and rear axle somewhere a little ahead of the heel. It feels good, though I haven't tinkered much to see if I can find something better.

Mr. lowrider was kind enough to lend me a couple of his plates, I couldn't move the axle that far forward so they made the board feel really soft.

Just got a nice JJ Cypress 175 on the classified board - thanks mudbone!!!

Does anyone have any experience with the JJA interface/Plate?

It appears to be very adjustable but I'm lost!

You can pm me with your email address and you can get all the info you want.

cheers, Hans.

If I understand the physics right, if I put the axles right under my foot - board will be a bit more turny(=softer), as I got extra lift, and this makes bigger lever. Pretty the same as I have my burton Risers mounted on the board, right or even softer, because board can bend easily, and typically plates are higher.

I've watched couples of videos and both same: mount axles 5-7cm(Sigi) or 6-10cm (Donek) wider then your stance so front axle gets right under binder bail. and rear axle gets right under rear bail or heel.

Is that correct and how most people riding the plates? May be you've moved from this to any other configuration?

What you have described is a good starting point. Refinements of your settings can compensate for the stiffness of the plate (Flex) as well as the stiffness of the particular board you ride. Depending on the fex of the plate it can be a multiplier of forces or reduce them considerably. It sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of the forces involved. Determine what you want the plate to do and set hardware accordingly.

A plate does not make the board a bit more turny. A plate alters the torsional stiffness of the board it is mounted on. It does not make the board more or less bendy along its' length. The aim of a plate is to allow the board to bend as its' builder designed it.

For any given distance between plate mounts, a stiffer plate will give more torsional stiffness to the snowboard it is mounted on than a more flexible plate.

For any given plate, increasing the distance between plate mounting points on the board will increase the torsional stiffness of the snowboard it is mounted on.

The stiffer the plate, the harder it is to twist, or "pedal" the snowboard.

Racers have so far typically mounted their plates with the sliding hinge under the front foot. I am about to start trialling having the fixed hinge under my front foot to see if this gives a more direct feel of the snow.

The general observation you've made about where to mount your bindings is close to how I set up my boards with plates. Aim to have the front axle(s) aligned under the ball of your front foot, or very slightly in front of the ball. That way when you put lots of weight onto your front foot, that weight will be between the axles of the plate, rather than out beyond the front axle and almost like bouncing on a diving board!

I've aimed to maximise the torsional stiffness with my own boards/plates so have set the mounting points to the maximal distance I can achieve with them centred on the centre of the snowboard's effective edge. I then centre my stance on the plate. This means that the ball of my front foot is always well within the span of the axles.

Well, I came to another question about the mounting the plates :)

Should I center my axles position or my foot position?

For example, I'm running 48cm stance, if I decide to mount a plate with my axles 8cm wider, that's 56cm. I can go:

1. Mount front axle 8cm forward from where my front foot was. After I put my front foot 8cm back from front axle, my foots will be over the mounting holes, when I used the board without plate, and my stance center stays where it was before. But as the front axle moves forward, center point between the axles goes forward as well for 4cm.

2 Or I can put axles symmetrically, say move front axle 4cm forward, and rear 4cm backward, so the middle point between axles will get to where it was without a plate. After this all my binding position shifts backwards for 4cm. My front foot stays 4cm back from where it was.

3. all the possible configuration in between those two.

What's the correct, or better say most used variant? Do I want to center my stance over axles or my bindings?

Personally, I'm leaning to number 2, but still unsure.

PS. Yep, I understand that's kind of a personal preference, but I'm looking for a starting point, and trying to collect some opinions on that.

Go with #2 to start but if you have the chance and are willing experiment with placement you will learn a lot about what plates can do to suit your personal preference and riding style. Also how it can influence the performance of the board. Evaluate the results by how the board Performs as a result of your adjustments not just how it feels because it's always going to Feel different.

Edited by lowrider
additional text