Note to New Members ×

Bachelor 2013-2014 Thread

Mike T

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the updates. Between Bachelor and Hood being light, and most everything else being closed, its going to be a late start this season.

Hey Bachelor guys - Mike T, Keenan, Mr. E and crew, anyone thinking about making it to NICE this year? It is a really great group of riders and a fantastic mountain. I usually drive out on Wednesday and ride Thursday-Saturday, and could potentially give someone a ride if you could meet me in Portland.

I was there for a few hours today. Out here for work so my coworker convinced me to do some turns.

The first few runs were firm, thin coverage. After an hour it was all sugar snow, which on a soft board wasn't to bad. Had to do a lot of slarving around.

Supposedly the snow is starting tonight. But I will be on the road again.

Dan- any inside tips on floors to crash on? I wasn't planning on it, but I've had zero days so far and am chomping to get out. If coverage is good and I can dirtbag it I might head out. Could possibly make it to PDX and carpool, too (Portland would be on my way, anyway).

Dan- any inside tips on floors to crash on? I wasn't planning on it, but I've had zero days so far and am chomping to get out. If coverage is good and I can dirtbag it I might head out. Could possibly make it to PDX and carpool, too (Portland would be on my way, anyway).

E, you can crash here overnight if you need a stop over landing spot.

I would bet someone in Idaho would accommodate you. It is in fact an excellent group of chill folks.

To be certain, you could post on their NICE thread?

E, you can crash here overnight if you need a stop over landing spot.

I would bet someone in Idaho would accommodate you. It is in fact an excellent group of chill folks.

To be certain, you could post on their NICE thread?

Hey Mr. E, sorry for the slow response. I have had some things come up at work, and right now I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to make it to NICE this year. It would be the first year that I miss, so that sucks. I have my fingers crossed that things will resolve so I can be away during that time, but right now it's uncertain.

So yeah, sorry for the bait and switch. You could try the NICE thread -- Evan (NWBoarder) was looking to share a room for Friday/Saturday night (or maybe Thursday-Saturday). If things do work out so that I can go, I'll let you know, but I don't expect to know until the week before or maybe early in the week of (assuming I'm heading out on Wednesday).

I left at 11:00 line of cars backed all the way to Sunrise (1 Mile), Red running slow, huge line, Home run open with wind stopping people coming down, Sunrise open but you couldn't get there. Shuttle service from town an hour late, shuttle to Sunrise got stuck and they had no backup. I was supposed to work at Sunrise today, but after trying to get there for 2 hours I gave up. Should be great later this week when they get it all packed down.

I left at 11:00 line of cars backed all the way to Sunrise (1 Mile), Red running slow, huge line, Home run open with wind stopping people coming down, Sunrise open but you couldn't get there. Shuttle service from town an hour late, shuttle to Sunrise got stuck and they had no backup. I was supposed to work at Sunrise today, but after trying to get there for 2 hours I gave up. Should be great later this week when they get it all packed down.

Keenan, any idea what on earth possessed them to wait until AFTER Century Drive had become a parking lot to mention the lack of available parking on their website?

So I'm going up to Bachelor at the end of month for a conference. Since I've never been to Bachelor with my carving set up, what runs/lifts should I be looking at for maximum fun? I'm an intermediate carver, still learning how to handle the steep stuff. I will have my powder board with me too in case it dumps.

So I'm going up to Bachelor at the end of month for a conference. Since I've never been to Bachelor with my carving set up, what runs/lifts should I be looking at for maximum fun? I'm an intermediate carver, still learning how to handle the steep stuff. I will have my powder board with me too in case it dumps.

Give me a call/email for more details.

Here is some generalizations.

Hi Res Trail Map Link

First. I prefer to park at either the Sunrise lodge or at the base of the Skyliner chairlift on the road.

This gives me easy access to have lunch in my truck , change gear, etc.

Most of the blue/green runs on Sunrise and Skyliner are good cruisers / warm up.

Pinemartin for more challenging. NW and Outback have some good options when conditions are really good, often narrower runs with steeper pitches, some flat out runs. Excellent for pow days.

Rainbow is a fixed grip that few use, as a result it is a great place to visit when everything else is getting tracked out or cut up. Grooming is often excellent , especially some of the top pitches.

Bryan

As far as carving runs go:

Easy:

Carnival (Rainbow/Sunrise lifts)

I-5 (Rainbow)

Moderate:

Olympian (Skyliner/Pine Marten)

DSQ (Skyliner)

Skyliner Liftline (Skyliner)

Flying Dutchman (Rainbow)

Leeway (Pine Marten/Red)

Kangaroo (Outback)

Moderate w/ steepish spots:

Coffee (Pine Marten)

Ed's Garden (Outback)

Downunder (Outback)

Thunderbird (Pine Marten)

Steep:

Tippy Toe (Pine Marten, only groomed during extended sunny stretches)

Boomerage (Outback, grooming iffy)

Beverly Hills(Summit, needs more snow)

Healy Heights (Summit, needs more snow)

Snapshot Alley (NW, not open yet, needs more snow)

The NW runs are narrower runs and tree-to-tree carving. I won't take my GS boards down those runs on all but the best of carving days. Upper Snapshot Alley is short, steep and double-fall-line but when groomed well, SO worth it even if the lower 80% winds up being mostly skidded turns.

Avoid Marshmallow (Sunrise) at all costs. Beginner run, and the only place on the hill a carver is at risk of having theirn pass pulled *unless being a total dumb@$$ elsewhere)