Note to New Members ×

Best Board Ever!

CMC

If you could have the best alpine board ever, what qualities/characteristics would be priority? Please back up your answer with some substance.

1) Graphics-base and top sheet?

2) Durability-gouge proof base, bulletproof top sheet, edges that are harder than standard, etc?

3) Performance-would it be just a good board with good edge hold or what it blow your mind and make you want to purchase it after two runs? Would it be just a common, boring ride or one that you could not get enough of? High fun factor? Would it be a board that would allow your skills to match its performance so you wouldn't have to get a "better" board?

4) Does a high price tag affect purchasing the best?

5) Should the board be ready to ride with a "factory tune"?

The focus is on the ultimate carving board, not the ultimate race board. No gates in this conversation.

Alpinepunk MetalBurner 182...

Cool look...

Very durable for a metal top sheet...

You ride it - It doesn't ride you...

Literally a different board - completely reflective of the conditions you're riding in...

Love Swallowtails - think technically - they work extremely well...

Some boards you have to ride like a "Boxer" other boards you must ride like a "Ballerina" - this board is exactly in between and has been my go to board for years...

I've had the experience of trying a board and being blown away to the point of having to have it no matter what a few times. However I think for me "no matter what" is capped at about $1000.

The times I had to buy a board were:

1, 2001 Donek 171 FCII.

2, 2004 Madd 170

3, 2005 Madd 180

4, 2006 Madd 158

5, 2009 Coiler NSR 185

My current Donek Proteus 175 recaptures the magic of that 171FC, but adds metal for even more edge hold. A lively board with just the right amount of dampness. I didn't demo it, so I didn't have that "have to buy it" moment. I bought it based on the description, and it delivers the goods.

The Madds... mind blowing, but unfortunately with the 170 and 158 the board I ended up with didn't quite live up to the one I demo'd. I should not have let those demos get out of my hands. I wisely bought the demo 180. If Madd could ever come back and nail their consistency, they would be a real force.

The Coiler NSR on the other hand put the Madd 180 to shame with new technology. Blew me away. Game changer. The Kessler 185 I briefly owned when I wrote that review also blew my mind, but with the Coiler nearly as good for half the money I just couldn't keep the K. Having $1600 under my bindings made me feel a little guilty while riding it. This is also why I have no interest in trying a Virus. My loss, perhaps.

If I could only own one board to do everything it would probably be a Coiler Stubby 171 with 21cm waist and 13m radius. I haven't tried his VSRs in that length though.

Edited by Jack Michaud

Wonder if I can rephrase the question like: what boards would you get if money were no object. Any boards, even from past years, any modern board. What would be your quiver? Keep it real, pls, I mean no: "all the boards of the world in my garage", say 2-3 boards, like typical riders have.

Hans, thanks for your input. Sorry to bore you and no one is arguing (yet). For the sake of this thread, a board does exist that can almost do it all. It is always nice to have a quiver tho, I can agree with you on that. Ive had upwards of 15 decks at any given time and would bring three to the hill on a daily basis....good stuff. Slalom skateboard racing we can use one deck that will do it all for multiple disciplines, snowboard racing not so much. BUT..this thread relates to carving...carving on hard snow, not powder riding ,etc

Ok..let's not mention any particular boards or manufacturers. If you were to get the best carving board what qualities/characteristics would be priority? Forget about Coiler being able to do this or Donek being able to do that or Oxess or Prior.. No names...looking for board characteristics. Somehow the boat was missed.

Would performance be the top priority or would durability be in the top seat? Etc, etc.Some guys just like having a good looking board and would rather have it looking like a Ferrari and are satisfied with the board's ok performance. Some want top notch performance while they could care less about how it looks. Where do these things sit with you guys? Again..carving boards..no gates here.

Where you ride makes a lot of difference in the answer to this question, there is no one ultimate board. The ultimate board is a quiver--small, medium and large, and to keep it interesting, each from a different board maker, multiple personalities.

The most interesting board I've ridden lately is an SG163. A little board with many personalities.

If you could have the best alpine board ever, what qualities/characteristics would be priority? Please back up your answer with some substance.

2) Durability-gouge proof base, bulletproof top sheet, edges that are harder than standard, etc?

3) Performance-would it be just a good board with good edge hold or what it blow your mind and make you want to purchase it after two runs? Would it be just a common, boring ride or one that you could not get enough of? High fun factor? Would it be a board that would allow your skills to match its performance so you wouldn't have to get a "better" board?

4) Does a high price tag affect purchasing the best?

The focus is on the ultimate carving board, not the ultimate race board. No gates in this conversation.

Hi Curt, perhaps you can divulge what it is you are seeking? Is there a point to asking this very open ended question?

Do you plan to launch a new snowboard ? Sounds like questions that might be asked in preparing a business model. Perhaps a poll that ranks your key points in terms of priority would help?

Can you perhaps answer the question yourself to demonstrate the sort of response you seek? It is a rather tall order to distill it down to a simple answer. Throw us a bone here :)

Bryan

PS. My "Best Board Ever" is based on the way it works for my riding style and needs. It doesn't really have a top sheet but it does look pretty damn cool. Being tune able it adapts to conditions and how I feel that day. It wasn't inexpensive but it offers allot of value do to its components and complexity. It makes me happy :) when it / we RIP!!!

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com
editing / additions/ rethinking the verbiage

Hi Curt, perhaps you can divulge what it is you are seeking? Is there a point to asking this very open ended question?

Do you plan to launch a new snowboard ? Sounds like questions that might be asked in preparing a business model. Perhaps a poll that ranks your key points in terms of priority would help?

Can you perhaps answer the question yourself to demonstrate the sort of response you seek? It is a rather tall order to distill it down to a simple answer. Throw us a bone here :)

Bryan

PS. My "Best Board Ever" is based on the way it works for my riding style and needs. It doesn't really have a top sheet but it does look pretty damn cool. Being tune able it adapts to conditions and how I feel that day. It wasn't inexpensive but it offers allot of value do to its components and complexity. It makes me happy :) when it / we RIP!!!

"Where you ride makes a lot of difference in the answer to this question" -- BigwaveDave is on the right track but there still is that ultimate board.

Bryan,

A poll would work.

Many answered with boards they had. That's great. But not what I was looking for. I wanted to see what characteristics most guys are looking for if they get a carving board.

For me, the ultimate carving board would have impeccable performance on icy and firm surfaces and it wouldn't be metal or have a need for a plate. Its quality would sit side by side with it's performance. After a few hundred days of riding this ultimate board, it would still ride like it was new and barely have a scratch on it. There wouldnt be your typical top sheet chunks taken out, etc. Its base would be almost gouge proof and have a high resistance to base burn/oxidation from man made old snow. There would be no graphics on the base or top. The edges would be tempered harder than the average soft edge..maybe a little harder to hand file but lasting longer.

Quality and performance are the two characteristics I would look for. It must also have a very high fun factor. Would you want to spend almost 2k on a deck and have rusty inserts? Been there, kind of sucks.

The ultimate board would almost have a cult following. The ultimate board would be somewhat "magical" allowing the rider to pull off turns he/she once before dreamed of.

Where did free carving go? Did it sell itself to racing? The ultimate board wouldn't be a good race board.

Maybe some day about 6 of the top manufacturers could collaborate and make the ultimate board because right now not one single one has it. I mean no offense by that statement because there certainly are some good/great product out there. But they are not the ultimate. We may see something come out of Europe, but I dont have any timeline or details for that at this time.

---So long as it's SFW, don't care. My winter tires have fangs, but I don't spend too much time admiring the wheels while driving...

---Base durability is a plus, so long as there are no proprietary steps involved in repairing the inevitable. Top sheet should not splinter, crack or peel. As to scratches, dings, gouges, see #1. Edges dull, and need to be sharpened. Harder edges would affect ease of servicing. Besides, this didn't work out too well for K2 on their skis, way back whenever.

---Took one crucial run on a camo print re-issue 158 in '04, and Banker did not get it back. If the glue was any good, I'd still be riding it.

---Base should be flat and true, but edges should be consistent 90/90 so the end user can 'season to taste'.

And two scoops of camber, with camber-flavored jimmies on top.

Also a sheet of metal, rubber optional.

Wood core.

Stiff in torsion, softer than average in flexion.

Probably some carbon in there somewhere, because McLaren might be on to something.

I might know what you're up to, and hereby offer to beta test.

Cult schmult.

The Stat lost it's camber faster than the M:Impossible operatives lost their orders.

If memory serves, Rossi gave Tim a board, and he stuck to that Throttle because the Throttle stuck to the course (that camber thing). Out of loyalty, he ran the GS? (or was it SG) at the '92? Open on the little stick.

That didn't work out so well.....

One could easily build 'a better board'. Whether or not it would find market acceptance is another question entirely.

It's all about the ride for me. A board must be:

1. Engaging/entertaining (pop/dampness balance, eagerness to turn, etc.)

2. Willing to turn like I want (some boards are lazy and mellow, some are a little frightening)

3. Able to do a variety of turn shapes

If it can't do the above, I don't care at all about the look or functionality of the board. Once I eliminate all the boards that don't meet the above, then I would love some added durability. Graphics can be a deal-breaker, but I've never seen a graphic so cool that I'd buy a board just for the look. Even at that, there's always vinyl to cover an ugly topsheet!

It's all about the ride for me. A board must be:

1. Engaging/entertaining (pop/dampness balance, eagerness to turn, etc.)

2. Willing to turn like I want (some boards are lazy and mellow, some are a little frightening)

3. Able to do a variety of turn shapes

If it can't do the above, I don't care at all about the look or functionality of the board. Once I eliminate all the boards that don't meet the above, then I would love some added durability. Graphics can be a deal-breaker, but I've never seen a graphic so cool that I'd buy a board just for the look. Even at that, there's always vinyl to cover an ugly topsheet!

Nice answer Corey.

• 2 weeks later...

Shred's push to set a new world record of posts per hour on BOL :) Very impressive! Let's all get behind his quest . Currently averaging a post every two minutes. I think he can do better , but it may be part of the long haul strategy.

Do you have food and water stored up next to the port-a-potty ? You can do it SHRED!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-198-141842403823_thumb.jpg

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com