Note to New Members ×

Jasey Jay Back doing SBX

Hasbin

Disagree. Make them excede his ability then they have earned the position on the team. I would hate to think that an objective view of ability wasn't a huge factor in final decision. Every young athelete thinks they can beat the old guy. All stats aside i'd like to see the weight of atheletes on all teams and their placement compared it has been my observation totally unproved that heavier riders tend to have an advantage in less than ideal conditions.

Agree with Lowrider.

I was at a conference last night with my son who is in speed skating, the conference was about focus, concentration and how to make a good and fast decision.

The speaker was the mental coach of the national short track speed skating team.

There is a guy on the national team whos is a "slow skater", he is the 9 or 10 fastest guy on the team but is ranking in the top 4-5.

Why ? because he makes better decisions in the race. I think JJA has its spot on the SBX team, experience does matter as speed.

The intimidation factor alone would be reason enough to put him on any team. Could you imagine being in the starting gate with the guy next to you wearing a gold medal from the previous Olympics ? (My reasons for supporting JJA are selfish I own one of the original Coiler BXboards with a convex base that JJ and Bruce prototyped). It's not for sale.

Well, Snowboard Canada invited him for the 1st WC event. If you were in his boots and trying to qualify for the Olympics in SBX, Would you give away your spot for a WC event?

And this is the list of invitees to the Lake Louise WC event (2nd eventof season). 11 men are invited. I don't think he's taking anyone's spot for that one.

Dec 20-21, 2013: Lake Louise, CAN

Men

Robert Fagan (Squamish, BC)

Chris Robanske (Calgary, AB)

Jake Holden (Caledon, ON)

Kevin Hill (Vernon, BC)

Thomas Pitman (Trail, BC)

Jasey Jay Anderson (Lac Supérieur, QC)

Matt Tunnicliffe (Gananoque, ON)

Mitch Pitman (Trail, BC)

Baptiste Brochu (Saguenay, QC)

Danny Bourgeois (Rosemère, QC)

Tyler Jackson (Whitby, ON)

Well, Snowboard Canada invited him for the 1st WC event. If you were in his boots and trying to qualify for the Olympics in SBX, Would you give away your spot for a WC event?

And this is the list of invitees to the Lake Louise WC event (2nd eventof season). 11 men are invited. I don't think he's taking anyone's spot for that one.

Dec 20-21, 2013: Lake Louise, CAN

Men

Robert Fagan (Squamish, BC)

Chris Robanske (Calgary, AB)

Jake Holden (Caledon, ON)

Kevin Hill (Vernon, BC)

Thomas Pitman (Trail, BC)

Jasey Jay Anderson (Lac Supérieur, QC)

Matt Tunnicliffe (Gananoque, ON)

Mitch Pitman (Trail, BC)

Baptiste Brochu (Saguenay, QC)

Danny Bourgeois (Rosemère, QC)

Tyler Jackson (Whitby, ON)

JJA is the best Snowboader that Canada has produced, there are 4 qualifier races for the olympics in SBX, JJA has not raced in SBX since 2009 . The schedule would suggest that JJA could only do 2, the last two races conflict with his Apline Races. He should of retired at the end of the last olympics. Give the up and commers the experience they will need at the World Cup level.

the best racer races, period.

And amen here, too. Judging by videos of his riding, JJA is a fantastic athlete and capable of earning a medal in SBX, PSL, or PGS.

My reservations would be that 1) He's on the small side for SBX, and may be vulnerable to bumping by bigger riders, and 2) in SBX wrecks are common and the risk of injury is much higher, and a bad wreck might end his chances at a PGS medal, for which he is a legitimate threat.

But, that said, it's ultimately his decision.

Why should another rider be given a spot in SBX unless he can prove that he's better?

The intimidation factor alone would be reason enough to put him on any team. Could you imagine being in the starting gate with the guy next to you wearing a gold medal from the previous Olympics ? (My reasons for supporting JJA are selfish I own one of the original Coiler BXboards with a convex base that JJ and Bruce prototyped). It's not for sale.

Lowrider, do they have special stones to grind convex bases? Or is there some special jig set up to do it? Ive always thought convex bases would be good for park and powder riding, but havent heard anyone use it before. Cool

Wasn't around to see the board built but i'm assuming it was dressed on the previous machine Bruce had which was a belt not a stone machine. Hand dressed by a very skilled board builder. I would never let anyone get it near a machine again. Very forgiving board to ride. It will be interesting to see what might show up in Sochi !