Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2013/14

bobble

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got there for the open. Lasted about 30 minutes before my body said lets ease into the season. Dave was out taking pictures, so I had to ham it up for the camera. This year I learned what zoom is all about ;)

BuckHillOpener_zpsdb94c77e.jpg

..but wouldn't it be cool if I put my fisheye lens on and you carved as close to me as possible? :eek:

Morning

Cold morning. Erik was riding hardboots while I was in softies.

First run felt alright. On my third run I blew out a heel-side edge, landed on my back and bounced my head on the snow. My helmet somehow got twisted such that I thought my goggles popped off. My head hurt. I took it easy then later again I blew a heel-side edge and bounced my head on the snow but this time it wasn't as bad. After that I took it really slow and easy.

Only two runs available to us. Milkrun had guns going. The snow was fun on softies over there. Felt floaty.

Crossroads was great early morning. A few thin spots here and there but its ready for carving in hardboots if you don't mind crowds. Skiers outnumbered snowboarders about 100:1. This is not an exaggeration.

Power Plates

Purchased the Bomber Power Plates for softboots. I have spare 6 degree cant disks so I caved in.

Mounted TD3s with red rings. Mounted the Power Plate and bindings around 15F/10R. At home it felt fine stepping in and rocking back and forth. The inward canting seemed natural.

Kick-pushing the board around the chairlift was ... different. Either I'm not used to softies or something about canting and/or binding higher off the board took more effort. The board is heavy. I had to support it on the chairlift.

Felt great with increased leverage on toe-sides. Heel-sides need remedial attention. I was fine for a couple runs before I got stupid.

I *really* like the canting. Might play with angles. And try yellow rings

Morning

took one ride on hardboots and switched. i was in a rush to get to the hill and so i mounted the bindings thinking that they were close to where they were last season. yeah, not so much. didn't bring tools so switched boards. i wasn't planning on staying long anyways. had work to do.

crossroads. rollers on skiers right! some areas the snow is deep to the point i was booting out even with Bomber Power Plates.

milkrun is okay. some areas where its deep snow. on skiers right near the knoll the snow is hardened from the guns.

olympic was open but getting there was sketchy. not worth the hassle. the area next to the ramp wasn't tracked out yet. i had to hop to get to the start of the run. the run was okay from top to about 3/4s down. at the bottom it was hardened.

Late Afternoon

went back out around 3:30pm. the place was busy. only 2 runs weren't open; Warners, Red Tail (backside of Milkrun).

good start for the season. hope it holds.

Morning

snow was firm and fast. hard on the clothing. hurts to fall down on it.

crossroads had mild rollers that cut across the run. i tried going around them but couldn't find a line. there were winrows spaced every 4-5 feet. gave up.

milkrun was better. there's an area near the tower where the groomer exposed chunks of ice near the towers. felt like gravel.

warners was good. spent time there trying to dial in bindings.

Morning

woman in the ticket office thought us "regulars" were crazy. it was frickn' cold. i think when i left the house it was -5F. not sure what it was on location. after about 1/2 hour my toes were getting painful.

snow was firm but grooming near the bottom of crossroads left some gaping wound in the snow.

Morning

flat light early morning and light snow. had a headache and didn't feel like working too hard. started out on skis. skiing was okay. after about an hour i switched to coiler at possibly the worst time. the ski jammers showed up so erik and i went over to warners. there's a rail near the bottom of warners. there was enough wall for erik and i to play "who can carve up the highest". i think erik won. the sun started coming through. eventually went back to crossroads.

Drift Balance Board

saw this and thought this is kind of a cool balance board. i have a Vew-Do balance board but its not that much fun because it has a rail which gets in the way. was thinking of making one like the Indo board so i was googling around and came across the Drift.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/k1WgMjxgjFc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the price is way too high. seems like it would be a decent off-season trainer for either boarding and skiing.

wonder what it would be like if plates were mounted on top of it?

Edited by bobble

Morning

cheeses rice! place was crowded. thought sundays were suppose to be all about peace and quiet... and carving?!?

very cold... i dunno around 0 to 5F early morning. snow was excellent. unfortunately gates were set up on almost every run.

erik and i left early. i just wasn't into the whole collision avoidance thing.

sorry we baled out on you randy.

i wish i was enthusiastic about work as the lifty.

The snow started to get pretty rough on Crossroads about the time you guys took off from all the people on it since you didn't really have anywhere else to ride. I snuck in two runs on Olympic Dream between races when they were swapping gates, that was really good.

One of the girls that works the lift asked if Erik and I are twins, lol.

Off topic. Just memories. Buck hill is where I first learned to Ski (late 80s), then later it was the first place I tried a snowboard (99?). I guess you could say the place changed my life. Still got my Buck Hill Be Cool Ski School sweat shirt somewhere. Anyone remember the Replacements song Buck Hill from the 80's? Has kind of a surf-guitar sound and the only lyrics are "Buck Hill!"

Hey John, Love them Mats!

I was able to get out to the Denver Riot Fest this past fall and not only did the Replacements play a whole show without passing out or fighting, they played Buck Hill right in the middle of another song. It was fantastical.

How's the season shaping up in Whitefish?

12/22/13

Overcast/flat light in the morning with a few snowflakes coming down. The sun came out in the afternoon. The fresh snow made for an easy day to keep an edge. Road the new board with a plate. It's been working well, I'm kind of looking forward to trying it out in some nasty conditions and seeing how well it holds up.

Anyone up for some morning carving after Christmas? (Thursday or Friday)?

Ach! Just realized that I am not getting any

updates because I have yet to post in this thread.

(Silly me.)

Took my little girl out to Buck last Sunday to see skiing,

snowboarding, and chairlifts for the first time. It was cold so didn't stay outside Lon.

We waved to Randy on the lift.

Also just stumbled onto a bunch of digital photos from MESes past. .

(Ah memories. ) I have not been out yet and outa the loop -

Any word on date for the MES?

Planning to go out to Buck Jan 3rd and 4th to cheer on the racers.

Should be a great place to spectate some serious race action.

Early Morning

ms. bobble went out early morning to Byerly's and swung by the hill. time for a crime spree! it was at least -14F. too cold so she ran back to her car.

post-1112-141842403286_thumb.jpg

partly cloudy ... probably -10F when i finally got there. the wind was blowing at the top. boots were squeaking loudly. had to go in twice to warm up. it warmed up to a balmy 0F. when i left it was starting to get really cloudy.

post-1112-141842403294_thumb.jpg

snow was muy excellente! very firm. milkrun was a little harder to hold an edge. they've setup the jump and air bag. dave is looking for volunteers.

with erik not there i had to do all the extreme carving for the chair which i'm loathe to do. there wasn't alot of people out. only the main chair was running.

Hardbooter Count

1. me

2. mark s.

good to see everyone out there!

Ski Mode

second warmup. i switched to skis. rode for about 45 minutes. charlie (one of the regular skiers) waited for me at the top of the hill. he complimented me on carving on skis, "i followed you down and your tracks were clean". he gave me a few pointers.

Lifty Interest in Hardbooting

one of the lifties stopped me at the top of the chair to ask if anyone gave lessons on hardbooting. her name is Erika. she's interested. anyone have gear to loan? i have an old elan. i have catek binding but i don't think they would be a good choice for a beginner.

Happy Life Day Eve, Bitches!

never saw this but heard about this on the Current. #cringe #facepalm

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ti3oBFwBLVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

have a happy holiday! i probably won't be out till the weekend.

Why not Catek? Nearly infinitely adjustable... perfect for beginners. :D

perfect for a beginner? yeah... ... ... maybe.

i'm just reluctant to lend out used OS1 Cateks to someone who's never rode plate bindings. they're welcome to try it but i just don't think its a good idea.

first reason... the dimples on my set are shot. if i set the bindings flat (no lift or cant), the bindings would rock back and forth. i have to re-level them on top of the plate which kind of mucks things up. i always had lingering doubts as to whether i had the canting set right. might be tough for a newbie to set up on their own.

post-1112-141842403318_thumb.jpg

second reason, there are many variables for a beginner to sort out; setback on board, stance with, angles, amount of splay, toe/heel block location, proper bale tension, etc. adding lift/cant just adds more complexity for a beginner. a binding such as the F2 Itanium or Ibex takes out some of the guesswork. just keep it simple.

on that note... why not come on out to Minnesota for our session on Jan 15th? come to Mpls for a day and ride at Afton Alps, then head up to Duluth to check out the guys at Spirit?

Yeah I think the adjustments are good...

Really those plates don't look that bad. :D

Can you flip the plates front and back?

I swapped out a large hardened bolt for the kingpin... really allows you to cinch it down.

I just carry a 17mm shorty wrench for adjustments. Not that I do any of that. ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36656[/ATTACH]

Afton Alps is 10 hours one way driving from my location. For perspective the Appalachian resorts, Snowshoe, Harrisburg PA, Baltimore MD are closer. :eek:

I really want to ride with the upper Midwest crew someday... why does the Midwest have to be so big?!