Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2013/14

bobble

Took the neighbor kid out to Afton on Monday.

A quick learner, We moved on to the other greens and blues

after only a few runs on the bunny hill.

There's a ski tunnel at Afton!! *achievement unlocked*

Did 1 run on the boarder cross course - snow was new,

crunchy and slow, so there wasnt enough speed to really

appreciate the banked turns.

Pinging Matt - Hey Matt! Are you out there?

Send me a PM with your email or #.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, this is Matt (I'm not sure if there are other Matts in this Buck Hill group), I'm here usually just lurking about.

I'll probably be at Buck this Sunday doing the 9 to Noon deal. Really enjoyed bringing out the Sims last week after letting it sit for a few seasons in favor of my F2, as the seasons progress I'm finding myself looking for a sturdier board, so I think I'll be riding that at least for the near future.

Morning

blue bird skies. c-c-c-c-cold. got there early and walked up the hill. even in the cold wind i was sweating.

snow as excellent. rode a couple runs on crossroads then road mostly on olympic.

ski jammers showed up and effed up everything; the lift lines, the e-stop switch at the top of the chair, the runs, you know... the whole flow. they started to show up on olympic. getting past them on the narrow path next to the ramp was a problem. they shouldn't have been on olympic.

saw two other hardbooters... leif? the other was a young girl that might've been on the G-Team.

after erik left then randy appeared around 12 noon. got my second wind. olympic looked wrecked after an hour. on soft areas the snow broke up into chunks. started to get tired. went back to crossroads. it was crowded which surprised me so i did many runs down the back.

around 1pm the ski jammers tried snaking down the entire run. from top to bottom. think they were trying to set a record. when they were done the snow looked slightly rutted like as if gets were set up.

the lift was stopping 1-2 times every single time we got on. ski jammers were hitting the e-stop switch at the top. the lifty had to get out of the shack to snatch a ski that was stuck on the ramp and then teach the ski jammer students how to get off the lift. they were standing too soon.

rode till 1:30 pm.

Crazy Old Man

randy and i were on the warners lift. bunch of 10-12 yrs old snowboarders literally pushed to the front of the line. there was a long line of ski jammers but they just pushed to the front of the line. one of the instructors told one kid to get behind his group. randy and i were in the alternate line and next after the ski jammers. somehow i just knew that little sh!t and his friends were going to bud in front of us. i moved my board forward and stuck my arm out. the kid tried to push forward into my arm. i leaned over to him and said "get back, we're next". after randy and i got on the lift the kids were in the next chair behind us yelling at me, "hey guy in the red!!!". i couldn't hear what they were saying with helmet on. just ignored them.

in retrospect i should have just let the kids go ahead. since i don't have kids i don't think things through, i just react.

growing up i never smarted off to adults. wtf!

Binding Setup

back to 3 degree front. heel-sides not as sharp as other night but at least the turns are symmetrical. played around with the BTS. now the spring is catching and clicking. next move might be to add g-bias to the bindings.

Halo Anyone?

saw this on a TED talk. i just cannot fathom how difficult it would've been to compile all those voices. have a hard enough time with snowboard videos.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/D7o7BrlbaDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

beginning sounds like the sound track to Halo.

Crazy Old Man

randy and i were on the warners lift. bunch of 10-12 yrs old snowboarders literally pushed to the front of the line. there was a long line of ski jammers but they just pushed to the front of the line. one of the instructors told one kid to get behind his group. randy and i were in the alternate line and next after the ski jammers. somehow i just knew that little sh!t and his friends were going to bud in front of us. i moved my board forward and stuck my arm out. the kid tried to push forward into my arm. i leaned over to him and said "get back, we're next". after randy and i got on the lift the kids were in the next chair behind us yelling at me, "hey guy in the red!!!". i couldn't hear what they were saying with helmet on. just ignored them.

in retrospect i should have just let the kids go ahead. since i don't have kids i don't think things through, i just react.

growing up i never smarted off to adults. wtf!

A few years ago I had a kid (about 12) squeeze through between my wife and I to get to his buddies, I said "HEY!" and he just said "Whatever". He planted his pole on my board and tried to push a couple of times, then tried to move his skis which put the edge down the side of the nose of my board.... I leaned forward and said to him very calmly "Here, let me help you". I then picked him up and threw him in a snow bank about 6 feet away, out of the line.

I didn't think it through, but people gave me more room the rest of the day.

A few years ago I had a kid (about 12) squeeze through between my wife and I to get to his buddies, I said "HEY!" and he just said "Whatever". He planted his pole on my board and tried to push a couple of times, then tried to move his skis which put the edge down the side of the nose of my board.... I leaned forward and said to him very calmly "Here, let me help you". I then picked him up and threw him in a snow bank about 6 feet away, out of the line.

I didn't think it through, but people gave me more room the rest of the day.

yeah, i'd be worrying that the kid's parent was nearby and saw you pick their child up and throwing them. i've been lifting my board off the ground around little ones.

saw this movie recently. kids can say things ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vjmZGaXDRHY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Morning

started out with flat light then turned to sunny by noon. snow was soft and slow. ruts were wide at the apex. the fun lasted till about 9:30 am. that's when the place was inundated with skiers. there were maybe a handful of snowboarders beside myself on crossroads.

the ski jammers showed up. the stood at the bottom of milkrun and blocked the area leading over to teachers pet. couldn't make runs down the backside and back to the main chair. i talked to one of ski jammers and asked what was going on because they were blocking the bottom of the run. the guy said they were waiting around for pictures, apologized, said it was like herding cats. took a couple more runs and was debating whether to go home. instead i changed to skis at around 10:15 am.

skiing was just okay. options were limited. poles were setup on warners. milkrun had gates. olympic had training. the lift lines were very long and stopping frequently. i probably got in maybe 6 more runs. then i tried something else...

Snow Skates

hovland had a demo tent of snow skates. intrigued... switched from skis to softies just to try one out. the guy who wears the floppy mushroom hat and rides the snow skate gave me tips on the way up teachers pet. it was obvious he was passionate about his board. "just like snowboarding but without the disadvantages" he said.

post-1112-141842407222_thumb.jpg

i thought that my longboard and snowboard experience would give me an advantage. nope.

had to step on the deck sideways across fall line. once i was going it felt like it was going to slip out from underneath me. i didn't feel comfortable going faster than i could step off the board. i probably went 5 MPH at most. i skid turned all the way down teachers pet. heel-sides were easier than toe-sides. could not carve.

there were times where it felt like my one boot or the other was slipping off the deck. its not a good feeling when it happens. didn't know if i should bale or not.

when i returned the board the guy ask how i liked it. i just said it was interesting. the boards sell for $349.

hard for me to believe that this is still a *thing*.

Boot Issues

having issues with my front boot. last time i went out the big toe was banging against the inside shell. its very painful especially on heel-sides. last night i replaced the arch strap and remolded the liner for 3rd time. started out painful. tightened the arch strap and it seemed to help the toe. going up the chair my foot would lose circulation. had to undo the arch strap on way up.

this sucks.

Evening

erik lent me his coiler. first impression is that it is really fast. i would be deathly afraid to take it out on a saturday morning with ski jammers. took me a while to get used to it. the snow up near the moguls was bumpy so i would drop below the moguls to start carving.

it was easier to get board higher on edge on heel-side. hip was smacking the snow.

i mounted td3's with at lower angles. i think 52F/50R.

Evening

day 2 of erik's coiler.

was going to fast got locked up on toe-side carve and carved uphill. board is making me work hard. part of the problem is the run is narrowed my race training and moguls. the board is incredibly damp! i almost have to jump into turns going down the backside.

@erik... i tried pressuring the tail like you showed me but something feels off. something about these low angles. my front leg is somewhat constrained in the boot. i can drop my rear knee but the front calf is pressing hard against the rear cuff of the boot. i might narrow the stance a position to see if that helps.

@speedzilla... did you find your notebook?

Morning

D team race this weekend at Buck. Going to be a lot of people there Sunday and Saturday morning. I'll be there early, early on Sunday and riding about all day.

Snow conditions at Powder Ridge last night were perfect, just really cold.

light was extremely flat. worst i've seen this year. could not see cord. even had hard time seeing the bottom edge of the moguls.

snow seemed unusually soft despite the cold. when i left the house it was -2F. the rut was very wide.

it got crowded with little ones warming up for races. left after 6 runs.

anyways... had other things to do... like renew my drivers license at the DMV.

Morning

sunny skies. brutal windchill. excellent snow.

showed up early.

busy day with races. olympic was open all day which was a surprise. crossroads was busy with skiers and who cant count to four. these two adult skiers behind us pushed there way up to get ahead of us to ride with mother and child on skis, "yeah, we can squeeze four on". instead the skiers let the mother and child go up by themselves. and so they were next. wonder how many times they pulled that stunt.

yep. lift lines were full but lopsided which worked to our advantage. took two breaks to warm up. the windchill up on top burned the face.

crowd lightened up at before noon. left around 12:30pm.

Morning

this morning i got up at 4:30 AM to clear the driveway. at most we had a drift about 13". the snow was higher than the snow thrower. the streets hadn't been plowed by 6:30 AM which is when i leave for work. so, i emailed work and said i wouldn't be in. my coworker encouraged me to remote into my desktop and work from home. tried but couldn't connect. then she encouraged me to do online software courses and treat this as a training day.

so, i opted for snowboard training!

the roads near my house weren't plowed. almost got stuck. finally got to buck. i was expecting powder so i was wearing softies. well, they had groomed all of milkrun, half of crossroads. warner's had powder but the chair wasn't running at first. a customer was bitching about it in the ticket office, "why did they groom?!?". i was a little disappointed too at first but after awhile the novelty wore out.

crossroads skiers right was wear most of the powder was located. rode through it most of the morning. it was slow but was fun! good times! the moguls were partially filled in.

Ridiculously Photogenic Snowboarder

(h/t speedzilla)

post-1112-141842410648_thumb.jpg

so... karl showed up.

after an hour we both changed to skis. the groom was soft to really soft. i can see why skiers get hurt. more than a couple times a ski would catch and throw me off balance. boot was pressing hard into my shin.

Polar Plunge at Crystal Lake Beach

fyi... this is happening saturday. starts at 1:30 pm. no parking at the beach. there are shuttles from carbone's, wild bills, and hosannah lutheran church. or, you could park in the neighborhood.

post-1112-141842410655_thumb.jpg

last year they had a hot tub but i heard the health department disallowed it so there's some sort of heated tunnel to the tent that's out in the parking lot.

we're going.

Morning

about 10F. despite the cold the snow conditions were soft. the board would sink and slow down. i rode upright most of the time and weighted the tail. it felt like one of those days where you could go over the nose.

trenches were deep.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/foMiCvZzgrQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

joe showed up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5PwEmDz8rCc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

at around 10 am, crossroads was really fugly. and we were not to blame. skiers were wrecking the run too.

milkrun was a little better. on three consecutive chairs back up, joe and i saw three racers take a tumble on the course. joe was saying something about how the snow gets pushed on the edges of the course and skiers get tripped up by it. just as joe was in mid sentence a racer blew a turn and cartwheeled a couple times down the hill. another guy seemed pissed. threw one of his skis on the ground.

i liked riding red tail as the snow wasn't too soft but too many people were going down that run.

warners had a border cross set up. looks fun!

probably should've left around 11:00 but since joe was still there i rode till 12pm. my feet were cold. snow was getting inside my boots. socks were wet.

Morning

snow was perfect! firm cord! almost hero!

three hardbooters; me, matt, steve.

rode till noon. switched to skis and rode till 2:30 pm. (@bobd, thanks for feedback)

for all you locals that are lurking, get out to buck now! its going to be really good this week. if not, then turn in your gear!

Heard on the Chair

skier turned to me on the chair and says "you are making angrrry carves."

Accident Waiting To Happen

ski challenge course was setup on milkrun. adjacent to the course were a 3-4 snowboarders that were literally sitting on the run and in the way of the skiers. one of them was an adult that did not know how to snowboard. had a rental, wasn't wearing a helmet, boot laces looked like they were untied, no leash, etc. he looked alot like this guy except more pathetic.

post-1112-141842410797_thumb.jpg

the other snowboarders appeared to be talking him down the run and without success. the guy would try to stand on heel-side, lean backwards, then fall down. this went on for half hour. everytime i got on the chair i couldn't believe that the race officials didn't just tell the guy to walk off the run.

after several chair lifts back up, the guy was alone and above the knoll. he had been slowly inching down the hill by sliding down on his butt. he stopped and then started to take off his board. i said to matt, "watch him lose his board". sure enough, the guy pulls the remaining boot out of the binding and the board takes off! the guy made no attempt to stop it. he just sat there on the snow dumbfounded. the board rocketed towards the ski challenge finish line and ended up hitting a blue fence near one of the timer beams. the guy eventually walked down the hill and retrieved his board.

Edited by bobble
didn't attach image

for all you locals that are lurking, get out to buck now! its going to be really good this week. if not, then turn in your gear!

Went out to Welch yesterday for the girlfriend's B-Day. Got there late morning, ran into Pete. I would wear out many coats and snow pants if I road there a lot...

Headed to Giants Ridge for this weekend, looks like its going to be a cold one. Hoping for a long cold spring again :)

Morning

left after one run. ski racing overtook the runs. they set up the course in such a way that it almost cut off the lift line. add to that were the skiers who left their skis and pole in front of the ski team entrance so that you had no choice to go to the right side of the lift. had to dodge kids warming up who weren't paying attention as i was trying to make it to the lift.

crossroad was fubar'd. backside wasn't worth the hassle especially with the aforementioned logistics of getting to the chair.

had to do some shopping anyways.

going to Welch on sunday.

Strange Snowboard Patents

was checking out the hy-arc thread. one thing led to another and saw this. the music in the video cracks me up. so wrong.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DyyfWqY9Jzk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i guess the device is some sort of training aid to teach people to snowboard.

Evening

temp was in the teens. snow was packed down but soft. no ice. best kind!

there was another hardbooter there earlier but not sure who it was. just saw tracks on milkrun.

<object width="300" height="28" class="hark_player"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_fb.swf?pid=jpkklxnbyg"/><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"/><param name="allownetworking" value="all"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><embed src="http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_fb.swf?pid=jpkklxnbyg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" width="300" height="28" wmode="transparent"></embed></object><br/>

now this i can do... <<--better HD version

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kn4SUk6p1fg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i wish Autodesk Inventor could render as fast as Tron. maybe in Tron space it looks like its happening fast but in our meat-space its taking hours? hmmm...

Edited by bobble