Note to New Members ×

Burton Chopper/Chicklet for young kids

piusthedrcarve

Rode a chopper myself as kid back in the day and had nothing but fun times on it. As well have had many kid that I've taught that have been riding them over different abilities and its never hindered there progression. Overall great little deck that you can grow with as riding evolves.

Last year our ski school started the Burton Riglet program for young boarders. It is basically a rockered tip to tail and side to side board which makes the groms less likely to catch an edge. The board has a ring on the front and is towed on the flats by a n instructor or parent. I'm not sure if these are meant to be ridden on lift accessed runs.

I used the Chopper to teach one of my sons.

Seems to me like it is a good learner board for a little kid. It's nice and soft which is good for light weight kids. The concave base is not so extreme. They still have to engage the edge to get it to turn but it really eases them into the turn and reduces the chances of catching an edge.

Edited by heroshmero

Now days the chopper is pretty much is a relabeled kids ltr board they use at resorts. The salad bowl effect on the concave isnt that severe as heroshmero mentioned. Most importantly for a child a starting out it will be more beneficial to understand how to correctly position there bodies over their feet when going down the slope be it sideslipping or turning, either way it will lead to quicker transition to turning stage and stronger skill base for their future riding vs trying to understand how to accomplish bending camber which may stagnate progression to degree.

I guess to answer question more directly by the time they will be on a camber deck the skill they've developed on the chopper will allow them to easily get performance out of their snowboard.

Rockered tip and tail.... And concave-like base so not possible to catch edges.

I get it. But if one learns on that kinda sticks, how the one is going to understand how to bend and turn?

If you're expecting your 4 year old to learn those skills, you may be overly ambitious. There will be ample room to upgrade once she's having fun with the beginner board. There are lots of skills she can acquire before learning to carve.

My girl did some falling around on some cheapo no-name board at age 4. Last season, at 5, she got a used Chicklet, and progress was much better. The Chicklet is far less likely to catch an edge and very forgiving - a good beginner board for small kids, IMHO.

Both my kids learned on Burton chopper's with traditional camber. a 101cm and a 121cm. I think they both benefit from not using the cheater beveled bottom boards out today. the learning curve was tough but well worth it as both my kids link clean turns at 10/daughter and 6/son. Just put my daughter on a roxy 123cm. traditional camber.

• 4 weeks later...

My kids are 3 and 5 and started on 80cm choppers when they were 2. There is a recoiling tether called the riglet that attaches to the front of the board that is a must have. It lets you pull the kids along and up the hill, which they both really enjoyed. More so than the riding down the hill at times. Seems that each year they get the next biggest size board. The three year old is now on a 90cm and riding pretty well. So long as the kids are having fun it's worth the expense.

• 3 weeks later...