Note to New Members ×

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14

BlueB

^i saw the kessler on the rack; very nice! did a some am runs with the kids on skis (weird things, those), then a couple quick board runs (with ski boots; still not sure what to think about that). pretty sad snowpack up there; think i'll be riding bikes until we get a significant dump again (on that note the north shore trails are in great shape for this time of year).

random: had kid #2's skis taken from the rack in front of the lodge. well worn 90cm ex rentals. not worth much, so i'm guessing a case of mistaken identity (i saw another pair of the same skis only in a longer length nearby that sat untouched for the couple hours we were there). not a huge loss, but a pain in the ass, regardless.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perry, sorry about the skis... Sounds like a mistake, though...

I can sell you Luka's Techno Pro 100 in very good condition, cheap. However, kid has to be big and strong enough to open the DIN 3 setting - this is the lowest these bindings would go.

----

Below, my brave dad enjoying the sunny Sunday.

post-1678-141842406437_thumb.jpg

Very sunny, warm day. Medium crowd, crappy snow...

Luka with the ski club, Pan with some freestyle students...

Toys: Coiler Chubby and F2 ElDiablo. Hardly could hold the edge in the morning, switched to the F2 pretty soon... In the afternoon I mostly chased the moguls and did a lot of jumping, including the big one at the bottom of Jja...

Went up the Sky chair for the first time this year, pretty bad up there. Run out via lower Horizon is absolute disaster. However, Eagle side is pretty much ok.

Next snow on forecast for Friday. Cross you fingers and do your snow dance, brothers.

1/2' of rare white stuff came down!

As it was quite wet, by the evening crowd compacted it into hard and fast surface. Jja somewhat bumpy, but the rest pretty smooth! No big crowds either. Very good evening indeed! Weapon: Amt177. Dropped the angles ti 45/40 - faster edge to edge then with small underhang I had before...

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Very sunny, warm day. Medium crowd, crappy snow...

Luka with the ski club, Pan with some freestyle students...

Toys: Coiler Chubby and F2 ElDiablo. Hardly could hold the edge in the morning, switched to the F2 pretty soon... In the afternoon I mostly chased the moguls and did a lot of jumping, including the big one at the bottom of Jja...

Went up the Sky chair for the first time this year, pretty bad up there. Run out via lower Horizon is absolute disaster. However, Eagle side is pretty much ok.

Next snow on forecast for Friday. Cross you fingers and do your snow dance, brothers.

Hey Boris,

I will be up again tomorrow Sunday for training. I will be free from 9-10. Let me know if you wanna ride hardboot.

cheers

Woa, super snow this morning! Cold temps allowed for some high quality man made stuff, all well compacted over old hard pack. Hero!

In the pm, crowds exposed ice and created push piles...

Toys: Tomahawk 182, killer board on good snow, then ElDiablo in the pm for jumping and fooling around...

Crew: Pan in the am, had to retire soon to coach his bx athletes; our new friend Pat, slalom skater and Dupraz rider; Yoshi and Rebecca walking around...

Some Asian rider chased me around to ask about carving. Will take lessons :)

Below, Pat and B.

Pat, if reading this, register and say hi to the crew!

post-1678-1418424076_thumb.jpg

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

too cold to ride bikes last night, so decided to check out the slopes. took the (new to me) kessler 171 out for the 1st time this season. forgot what beasts these things are. ridiculously good when you're on top of things. feeling pretty rusty myself, but good to get out for a few turns. conditions were as to be expected - manmade on ice; could be worse, i suppose. things would be pretty dismal if it weren't for the guns. thanks, olympic legacy! i think this is day 5 for me this season - bit of a write-off; feeling relatively unmotivated to get out there in these conditions. *sigh*.

Very good conditions for a night ride! Hard packed, not bumped up at all by the day crowd, some soft piles close to the snow guns. No big crowds...

Tony and a friend, Luka with ski club, and your's truly... Scooby still on strike...

Weapon of the night: OES SL162 - courtesy of Alexey of On Edge Style snowboards. See my OES thread for more...

10am morning lesson with Pat and a bit of freecarve after... No crowd, very nice hard pack. Sunny in the morning, but started snowing by lunchtime!

Pat did great on his first HB attempt! He already texted me that going back to softies in the Pm felt strange and disappointing - welcome to the dark side :D

During the lesson I rode Oes Sl157, youger sistervl of the one I had yesterday. After lesson I had few runs on Oes Gs185 - absolute beast, as expected. Both boards performend brilliant.

Perry, you and all local Hbooters are welcome to demo the 8 Oes boards. You are a "Kessler guy" so you'll really apriciate the 3 race models. They are even damper then Kesslers, while 162 potentially having more edge hold.

Hey coming up from pdx 2/23 or 2/24 and staying at whistler with friends till 2/29 but off till 3/2? They are all softbooters from hawaii with some of them just learning . Would love to hook up with some bol carvers to go trenching if there is no powder . Anyone have experience catskiing in the area? I have always gone to central BC to monashee or mustang powder for years . Rode big whiteout, silverstar, revy, and once did a touring week at icefall lodge out of golden. Any info on good info cheap places to eat , good ipa beer and TR on the mountain. Will bring a Bx volkl, coiler 183, and a couple tankers for pow. Could bring touring gear too? Anyone want too volunteer as a guide ? :)

Jim

Catskiing - I have connections at Powder mountain whistler. This season they are struggling for snow - they need a lot for the cat roads. So more down days than up as they wait for the fresh. The heli have fewer constraints but cost more. Talk to them and they'll tell you the score.

It is resort based, so you get a wider range of ability compared to more remote places, and generally everyone does just one day (so they can't build up confidence in your ability). So just be accurate about your powder ability and what you want.

Their powder is generally more moist than inland, best ridden in the storm.

Check the whistler brewing company at function junction for US style IPA.

Edited by philw

Catskiing - I have connections at Powder mountain whistler. This season they are struggling for snow - they need a lot for the cat roads. So more down days than up as they wait for the fresh. The heli have fewer constraints but cost more. Talk to them and they'll tell you the score.

It is resort based, so you get a wider range of ability compared to more remote places, and generally everyone does just one day (so they can't build up confidence in your ability). So just be accurate about your powder ability and what you want.

Their powder is generally more moist than inland, best ridden in the storm.

Check the whistler brewing company at function junction for US style IPA.

Thanks Phil , I looked up powder mountain so was wondering about the snow . Oregon finally got hit hard this last week so hoping it turns around soon. I might try for a last minute deal at Monashee or Mustang powder if they have spots. They have posting on FB for $650/day last minute . Will probably ski a few days at WB with my Hawaii friends for kicks . Surfed on vancover island this last summer and found some great beer in ucleat.

Oh my! This morning we had the best curduroy of the season, so far! Of course no crowd for first 2 hours. But where was everyone???

Spoted Yoshi on softboots (???) with family and Pan with his team on softies. Youshi pulled some really nice toeside carves down JJA.

I was testing another 3 of OES boards and was in the groove, inspired by good conditions and good boards. Got lots of inquiries about the gear and lessons.

In the afternoon runs wrinkled just a bit, but way more people. Great day.