Note to New Members ×

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14

BlueB

7-8cm of fresh wettish snow over ungroomed yeterday's surface. Variable snow and fog through the day... Pretty big crowd.

Crew: Roy (finaly!), Tony and friends, Yoshi and family, Ruwi!

I had 10-11:00 carving lesson with Dennis. He was an admirable student, very keen and athletic and not phased off by less then ideal conditions. We adjusted the stance and worked on improving the carving. His hill side looked really strong. Heel is getting along. Well done buddy!

In the morning I tried the OES 178/18 in the conditions it wasn't really ment for. It performed pretty good! Carved the crappy snow, but a bit lighter touch was required. Stuffed the nose only once in 45min of test ride. What a board!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reporting directly frim Cypress, while waiting for Luka... Yup, one if those rare days when I gave in early...

Wet snow and crowd in the day resulted in pretty crappy evening conditions - semi frozen rippled surface, some loose granular on top. Small hard moguls on Jja...

Had a run with Tony, on softies. Saw Niles later.

I brought 2 EC boards by Oes, 168 and 161. Wrong choice for the conditions. Smaller one was easier in the mixed condihions.

I followed Luka's group a bit. My son, at the age 7, is now faster on skis then me on the board! :)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

I expected super nice conditions, after snowfall over last few days, but 2 hours of rain (at 0C ?!?), spoiled the snow a bit. It was semi-frozen groom, pretty nice on Panorama, with a bit of death cookies on JJA but doable. It softened a bit towards the lunch, then the snow came in again! By 2pm it was fully blown blizzard. 32cm of white stuff came down by 10pm! As you can imagine, the drive down the mountain was pretty "interesting" - cars in the ditch everywhere, 30km/h speed...

Dennis came for his 2nd lesson, this time on hard boots. He was lucky, Roy had some Burtons in like new condition. He loved it right away and did great, to the extent that he wouldn't let go of the board :) He is a happy owner of OES SL157 now!

Well donne buddy, keep up the good work! See you soon.

In the afternoon, one of the dad's from Luka's ski club asked me to have a go on alpine board. He was a soft booter years ago, but now skis full time. He's on AT boots, that was really nice to transition to the "dark side". I've put him on the F2 ElDiablo. He actually did really well! We might have another part-time convert.

I rode OES SL162 all day long. The little board keeps on plesantly surprising me. It held in hard conditions in the morning, came to full life in slightly softer mid day and was not bothered at all by the huge snowfall in the pm!

boris - saw your demo boards the previous couple days I've been up (last thurs & sunday), but missed you in the flesh. good looking hardware.

sunday afternoon started getting decent with the dumping, but last night (tues) was the first day this season i actually had some good fun. bumped up, but proper amounts of forgiving, from-the-sky snow! the atv was in it's element; working well. perhaps i'll re-think the softboot angle for the moment...

Lots of nice white stuff, of good quality, came down over the last week! Last night's wettish pow got compacted and pushed into moguls on blues and blacks, but became pretty solid on greens. Lots of new terrain is now rideable. Few shrubs still showing on Rainbow and Bowen, but not a single rock.

I spent most of the evening riding the moguls on the Rainbow, on OES slalom 162. Little board performed like a champ!

I saw Pan with a student and my old ski buddy Vitali on new skis. I shared a ride on the chair with 3 Italian guys, 4 riders - 4 different devices: soft boot board, alpine board, skis and mono ski! :)

A lot more snow for the weekend! Ride-on!

a fat 20cm dump awaited us sunday morning. i'd nearly given up hope of a deep snow day this season, but there it was. as usual, the main runs got tracked out pretty fast, but there were still lots pockets of fun to be had everywhere. good times. really loving the atv in that stuff; versatile & fun. good to see a few of you regulars up there. got out of dodge before noon; judging by the parking lots & traffic still coming up, looked like it was going to be a slammed afternoon.

Yup as Perry said, great day! Did get a lot busier in the pm. though. Funny enough not much busy in the am, for a pow day...

I had quick 2 runs on Proto in the early morning - wasn't enough... Switched to 3800 169 for the rest of the day - what a lovely, easy, floaty, carvy board! :D Scoob started on 4807 then 3800 too in the pm...

I had freeride lessons with Pat at 10am, while Dennis droped out last minute (missed out big time, buddy ;) ). Pat was back to softies and Dupraz for the soft snow and bravely did everything I had thrown at him. We pretty much did everything that mountain has to offer, except for closed Top Gun and Moons/Slash. I do not thing that woods between Panaorama and Trumpeteer are quite ready for action, either...

We also saw my other student, a dad from Luka's ski club, back on fat skis. Chatted to Lorn (spelling?) who used to ride h/boots, has been staff trainer at Cypress 20 years ago, risdes SL and downhill longboards and knows Doug very well!

Fun details: I forgot Luka's skis and poles at home :( , so I had to rent some on the hill. On the return, the rental guy said: "Don't forget your poles!"?! We argued for few minutes, me trying to give him the poles back, him insisting they were not from rentals and totaly refusing to take them... Luka's got an extra set of poles now...

So in at 9pm last night, the 24hr snow pile up was 42cm! Still coming down lightly this morning.

Warm spell is stil on the outlook, but from rain, it's shifting towards dry. Keep your fingers crossed, brothers!

My next ride, Thursday evenig.

Roy, some pics from last night, please?

Interesting evening... It started pretty soft, then started freezing after the sunset. Moguls on steeper, carvable on flatter.

Started on Oes Sl, then switched to Proto for bump riding.

Almost wracked it on the Rainbow - at speed over the roller by the steepest pitch, I realised I was going into a barren spot. Managed to ollie at the last moment...

I saw Pan with a student/athlete, tall h/booter on freeride and hooked up with Tony for most of the evdning.

Saw my son navigating the large moguls under the chair at Upper Bowen.

i was up a bit later in the evening (7+). flats were pretty solid by then, but the bumps on lions side had lots of loose granular to keep things forgiving and somewhat entertaining.

will most likely be up on sunday, but juggling kids, so quality carving time will be limited. looks like we've got some decent snowfall coming our way as well...

Crappy conditions, big crowd - not ideal for OES demo day we had, but we tried to make the best out of it... We'll do another one on some better day.

Roy, Tony, Gary, Patric in the test crew. We saw Perry too...

Patric braved the conditions for a 2 hour lesson - well done buddy. You improved a lot since last year.

Run of the day: Meteor. I had it all for myself. Moguls, chunks of old stuff, half covered with fresh snow, some ice. The steepest part at the lower part had an avalanche type of thing - few snow boulders rolled down the midle of the run, leaving a treanch and pieces behind. Patrol marked it with a series of bamboo poles. It was rideable to the sides of it. Don't quite know why the run wasn't closed, but anyways, I had fun ;)

Roy and Yasumi

post-1678-141842411966_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlueB

unsurprisingly soggy last night. i actually don't mind riding in the slushy slop; fun to push around (for a while, anyways). certainly no crowds to contend with. losing base fast, however. doesn't bode well for spring if this continues for long.

• 2 weeks later...

This somehow got deleted with forum crash... here we go again.

We took Luka to a ski race at Mt Seymoure. Brought grandpa to cheer, too. Luka did great. Skied fast, carving and aggressive, was faster then opponent in both parallel races, yet he missed a gate in both... But never mind, I'm very happy with the performance. He also jumped 6m of a small kicker and got radar clocked at 51km/h on a mild blue run.

3 generations on snow:

post-1678-141842413234_thumb.jpg

Everyone from the ski club was at Sun Peaks today, so no coaches... Dad had to act as a coach, so no snowboarding tonight...

Anyways, no crowd, very nice weather, spectacular sunset and surprisingly ok conditions for this time of the year! Good times...

Weapon of the day: Atomic Metrons. No other hardbooters spotted...

Snow goods have blessed us with one of the best days of the season. Few inches of yesterday's fresh, perfectly groomed after a cold night + bluebird morning! Can one ask for more?

Crowd was ok in the am, but filled in a lot, later. Afternoon turned the slopes to a sort of compact slush.

Almost entire crew was there: Gary, Roy, Tony, Patric, Luka me and my old man on skis...

Toys: Skis, Chubby, 4WD, Kessler 165 "oldschool", skis, Bulat 168, skis...

Bulat was absolutely it in the good conditions at the task it was designed for. Mor in the OES review thread.

It was a pleasure watching Gary applying the skills acquired from alpine snowbarding to his skiing.

Patric is learning the ways of his Kessler.

Roy is falling in love with Chubby again - seems the board has the new owner ;) Looking great, Bro.

Tony killed it on 4WD, full EC on toeside, very close on heel. Dissapeared quickly, though...

Luka skied in the AM, but decided to try snowboarding for the first time in the PM. I rigged him onto Yoshi's old mini-BX board with F2 Carve RS and his Langes. He did better then most of the kids do in the first 2 hours, even made it down Easy Rider once. However, he expected to just stand on board and rip like on his skis, which resulted in lots of frustration... We'll see what happens next with riding...

We managed to loose my dad somehow (badly planned meeting point) and I almost launched a search and rescue mission. "Uncle" Roy prooved to be the best rescue guy (and best intuition) and he found the old man safe and sound in the parking lot :D

Great times - I hope for few more days like this!

What a difference to the last Sunday! All slushed up, some dark patches showing... Get your turns in, if this weather pattern carried on, season might end soon :(

I was on skis tonight.

It snowed all nigh and all day today! Pretty wet, but hey, snow is snow! :)

It was a ski race day at Cypress. Lower Maelle Ricker, easy GS type of course. Horrible ruts for the 2nd run, but fun never the less...

3rd place, under 8, slipped away from Luka this year, while I came short of 1st in dads' competition...

Didn't bring my board today. However, one of dad's from the club showed up on a Hot Blast, didn't race though.

No more night rides, as of April 1st...

Yup, snow is snow, like BlueB says. However, it helps to know where to find it.

Run of the day: Moons. Knee-high freshies. Nope, not exaggerating. Today's weapon: Dynastar 3800 - 163 cm pow deck.

I saw a guy at the bottom of the Eagle Chair with hardboots and a really skinny carving board (never seen him before). I looked at him and thought, wow, what a wrong day to bring a skinny groomer board.