Carving Masters

Donek

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i was suggesting a add-on layer that would magnify the stored energy, not moderate it.

The universe would be a rather different place if negative damping were thermodynamically possible. Probably not very comfortable, and snow would be scarce indeed.

A lot of guys use aftermarket spring systems, some only on the rear boot, plus various shell-cutting or other modifications to get more flex. And I've certainly seen huge heel lift, with some guys even ditching the big lift blocks on F2 bindings for even larger ones. As for stance I dunno, but normally you would use more toe/hell lift with a wider stance.

It is not so much about the setup as you would think.

Many people (especially the ones you see at carving masters) do not modify boots or have exotic binding setups.

Important is: maintain flexibility in feet, knees and hips. Due to the bumpy and always changing conditions in most european resorts you learn to ride out of your knees. That means, an average eurocarver puts much more effort into his vertical movement (knee, ankle, hip) than a carver in colorado, who probably can handle his terrain only with angulation and body tension.

The forward lean is just a result of a strong bending in your knees.

In testing, I brought my angles as far forward as was required to eliminate toe/heel drag. I then narrowed my stance to a point that was comfortable. Once there, I had a very easy time absorbing with my knees. Don't overthink it. Just get out and ride. If you do make sure your stance is comfortable before you get on the lift, you'll be fine.

• 2 months later...

There is now a truck load of new skinny boards from Donek on the way to Europe? Things are going pretty fast! Even if riding on that new boards on slopes of Solden? So that new line of boards can get a name like the Rettenbach-Series.

Markets are different. I mean even places/terrain of slopes/lifts are different too. Most, but for shure the well known North America resorts are artifical resorts made to fit the demand of US customers for skiing. Thats what happen in the Alps now more and more similar. Resorts which can offer slopes which are easy to go for people of the flat lands are the winners.

Soelden takes big care, to turn the slopes to tourist friendly conditions.

Can we just take a loop-back to that glacier, where Donek was letting Europeans riding the boards. I'm shure everyone joining carving masters remind that two rows of snowmakers in picture as well. Thats a place where glacier is running out of any ice the last Years.

image.php?id=41F1_52035C3E&jpg

The area with the rocks between snow-makers and gondola is representing a natural mountain surface which was once all under ice. Similar ground will be found as a base of many European slopes on higher mountains. But diggers and tons of dynamite help now to shape that landscape of Soelden mountains to "full Dutch conform" groomers. They are conditioning all the mountain to best available shape, like Soelden lift coperation does it the last time on Rettenbach downhill too. As you can see, Soelden cut and remove remaining ice of glacier last autumn for preparing underground of "Schwarze-Schneid" slope to an easy-to-go and featureless downhill.

image.php?id=EF22_52035C3E&jpg

Next photo, with a socket for one of the sky-snowmakers on left-bottomn.

On the left lower part we find what nature was giving us for having fun with snowboards when covered by snow.

On the right upper part we see what's the demand for to be in conformity with the needs of snow tourists.

That right upper part is just the steeper one of the slope above the test exchange area of carving masters.

image.php?id=BBDC_52035C3E&jpg

Since some weeks diggers above Soelden are in progress continuing to shape the lower part of slope (see webcam). So all things gona be right for a test-ride of new skinny boards handcraftet from USA on next Carving Masters.

For to say to Donek snowboards, Yes You get the right impression at Soelden Galcier ski area on which kind of slopes some carvers in Europe like it to ride. It's a good idea to make boards for that to enter Western European market. Keep in mind, around the Alps overall snowboard sales are broken in every of last Years more than 10%. Donek rather should turn to the growing Eastern European market, like Poland, Russia, Czechia and so on. Beside this, what You saw on Carving Masters, is not all the best about alpine snowboard-carving in Old Europe.

Yes, is painful to see how in the last ten year glaciers melted at a dramatic rate. I visited Soelden almost every year (early season opening) and each year I'm stunned how much the terrain is changed and the ice backed up.

The resort is just makes the most with the new real estate released by the ice - you just cant fight the progression of the industry (mass market) - the resorts are selling what is in demand >> miles of open wide, moderately steep and perfectly groomed slopes - which are appealing for the beginner/intermediate recreational/ocasional skier.

For us carvers Soelden is still the unofficial capital of hard-boot snowboarding in Europe - where are still shops/rentals which are caring top notch equipment to buy and test. Also true that is a lot of snobbery going around between different groups of people riding different style of boards etc. And yes carving is soo much bigger than what you can see in Soelden.

Sean is just adding a specific broad to his comprehensive product line-up to fit an existing niche/group/need. Otherwise he build and sale almost every kind/style of boards to best fulfill every possible/potential customer needs.

I don't know what to say about Eastern Europe (I'm from Eastern Europe) we have our eyes fixed on what the Swiss and Austrians are doing - it is a good idea for Donek to prove himself there - or maybe far east - (look how Kessler and Sigi doing in Japan & Corea)

JK

Wow....great thread....enjoyed the read....

BTW...I "google'd" Soelden...and come to find out that I was only a two hour drive away when I was riding at Malbun! Arrghhh....I guess I just have to get back to Europe soon and check it out!

In Italy we have a lot of ski resort which are built in national natural park so you can't almost do any modifications to the ground.

I live in Rome and near here we have almost steep, narrow slopes.

During the year with my carving friends we use to have two or more trip around and in the most situations are steep and narrow. So we need lively narrow board but also long because we have a lot of sun and so there are in late season, march and April but sometimes in December very icy slopes.

One of the most center Italy friendly board that I have try was a Plasma Carve 175/15 too narrow for my big feet, and my fantastic Carve 180/18

It was year since I met Donek snowboards website and understood the love of Sean for this sport but it is very difficult to find one Donek board in Europe so this could be the right occasions!

Edited by jacopodotti

Yes, Donek's are not findable in Europe. But You can buy Coiler's in stores.

Also true that is a lot of snobbery going around

;) Hummer's from Eastern Europe skiers can be found on Glacier parking for sure.

You are right, snobbery can be find in Soelden in any case. High Society will never join Soelden. Soelden has only one single 5-star hotel. High Society turns to Lech-Zürs, or to St. Moritz if traveling by own jet.

don't know what to say about Eastern Europe

Well, if we take a look to FIS-PAR alpine snowboarding races like EC & FIS on Eastern Europe against North America NAC & FIS we find out amazing things.

Last season there have been 15 races in CAN & USA. Eastern Europe region carry out 22 races (RUS/SVK/CZE/BUL/ROU/SLO/UKR/LIB/IRA, missing TUR and POL)

For sure riding level in Eastern Europe is not that high like in North America yet. But we can see fast risings and upcomming winter up there is an extra motivation, the Olympic Games.

Japan & South Corea stays stable now since Years, maybe China will be upcomming more and more.