Note to New Members ×

The Lonbordin tour is headed to SugarLoaf (March 10-15)

lonbordin

Whew... nearly 1200 miles later we arrived at The Loaf later today. Who knew northern Maine was so far from southern Indiana. :smashfrea

But in enough time to do 5 laps and then catch the quad's last chair of the day. :biggthump

post-8412-141842389206_thumb.jpg

The conditions were fantastic. Snow was really nice.

See the groomers doing their fine work as I type... can't wait for tomorrow!

Today was... full of highs and lows.

Good morning session with my kid. Then met Erik... he's an insightful instructor that's obviously honed his craft.

Involving my kid was brilliant.

post-8412-141842389261_thumb.jpg

Above the clouds... (too slow, hehe.)

Low was my son crashing into me. :smashfrea :( Of all the people on the hill I'm the worst person to run into...

We've riden together for 9 years and never even a close call. He ended up with a bloody nose and a sore hand.

I'm hoping tomorrow he's feeling much better. His first (and hopefully last) incident report.

He rode down the mountain all 13 year old toughness telling me to continue with Erik... texted me a short while later with reports of pain needing help.

Thus ended the aborted lesson.

Tomorrow might be rainy. Feeling balmy outside... some clouds on the radar.

Thanks for your patience today Erik. Thank you.

Edited by lonbordin
grammar police

Today was fantastic. OK so it rained and blew and a dry suit would've been a good choice... who cares!!! :rolleyes: :freak3: :D

Got out early with my kid (the healing powers of a 13-year old are simply amazing). By our third trip up visibility was spotty at best and the rain was lightly falling. If we got more than 100 meters apart we couldn't see one another on the top of the mountain. Mid-mountain was better and lower mountain was good and bad.

post-8412-14184238929_thumb.jpg

My son was tired (and a bit wet) when we met Erik. He had a group lesson so we met up later.

When I went back out at noon it was a testament... to what I'll let other's judge. I met Erik and we began.

I'd made some equipment adjustments (I've always run my boots super loose... don't really ski and came from softboots :smashfrea)

since our last meeting and we started out at the beginning, balance. (Yes... I tightened my boots and used my BTS to make them more upright.)

Erik's an insightful instructor willing to engage in discourse about a riders situation and progress. He's also as nutty as I am as it was blowing and raining horizontally at that point. He was soaked through and pressed on asking no quarter. Kudos sir! Thank you.

After we finished (and I've shown signs of improvement!) I took one last run at speed. WOO-HOO! :eplus2::eplus2::eplus2:

I'm looking forward to some better weather tomorrow.

Edited by lonbordin
grammar police

Slushfest. LOL! Come visit me in Indiana sometime...

:lol:

This is hero snow. :eek::freak3::biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

See ya out there... I'll be on the Python covered Proteus unless it really is crazy soft then an older white Donek...

You know what's great about carving... I learn something from everyone I meet.

Beautiful day at Sugarloaf... photos don't lie.

post-8412-14184238932_thumb.jpg

People do... like me. :eek:

That photo was from tonight after the lifts closed.

Lifts closed and clouds lifted... co-incidence??? Yup.

Said hey to Powderbonez this morning on the way out and never saw him once after... that said for the first part of the morning you couldn't see anyone else either if they weren't ~30 yards away. Cloudy with low visibility. I heard there was another hardbooter out as well... I only saw someone in softboots railing on an SBX shape (looked like an Oxxess (sp?) from the chair.

Conditions on the top were chunky icy and softened up as one went down. Due to the high temps the number of groomed trails were limited.

Hooked up with Erik around noon and we worked on my progress. I know I have a looong way to go but I feel I can see the path. Oh, he had me remove a piece of my boots, can you imagine? ;) (it was just my highback ramp people... nothing permanent. :ices_ange)

I can't thank Erik enough (flowers?!). He's been the best. The people here at Sugarloaf are friendly. But he's gone way above and beyond.

In the afternoon I switched to the wider Donek to deal with the lack of groom and to follow my kid wherever he wanted to go. Snow was soft in places... softer in others.

Weird thing today. Old folks on skis standing on the bank of Sidewinder telling the kids to just go around?! :freak3:

Tonight's low is forecast for 16 F (-9 C) and with all the rain from yesterday it ought to be interesting conditions (FIRM!) in the morning. I see the lights of the full groomer crew...

Can't wait. (My legs can though!!!)

We rode until noon...it was a mess IMO. Tote Rd was about the only thing broken up enough to dig into...everything we ventured to was just crunchy as hell...couldnt set an edge to dig into a carve. The human slalom was not my bag. So we went to The Bag. Tomorrow should be...interesting indeed.

Great day. Colder and getting ever more so as I type. Solid groom (good job grooming team!). Snow was variable in relation to your elevation on the mountain.

Since tomorrow is my last day let's review... goals were, "Plans are lessons with Beckmann AG, board until my legs fall off, repeat."

Fantastic instruction with Erik Beckmann. CHECK.

Board until my legs fall off. They've felt like it... but I'm still walking... I'm a wimp. I'll have to push harder next time! Maybe after tomorrow!

I'm sitting here watching the snow fall at Sugarloaf and I don't want to leave, but I must.

I know that through Erik's instruction I can see the path to progress and improvement. I can't thank him enough. He was lucky to escape without a hug today. If you ever have a chance to work with Erik do it. You won't be disappointed.

Saw a couple of folks on Prior ATV's and hardboots, think I saw Powderbonez from the lift. But I wasn't able to connect with anyone. It can be tough trying to keep up with a young skier who loves to go fast.

Conditions have been from one extreme to another at the Loaf this week. Wonder if I'll get to bust my powder board out tomorrow?

post-8412-141842389399_thumb.jpg

This morning at the Loaf was cold with a bitter wind. They were blowing snow in select locations as well.

I started out the day slooow... The old legs were still tired from the day before.

We rode up the lift with another BOL member but my son wanted to go a different way down... didn't see him again.

Rode the morning... froze. Packed up and checked out. Went back for a final session with Erik. While I still have issues I'm certain I know a better path. I can't thank him enough.

This was my last day of the season and it was a great one. The snow was great in the afternoon and the wind died completely. Really fun conditions.

post-8412-141842389463_thumb.jpg

Crowds were gone as well.

Ate a great dinner at "The Rack" on our way out and talked surfing with one of the owners.

A great vacation. Sugarloaf was a great choice for my family.

Edited by lonbordin
...for emphasis.

Crikey. Good thing I've got a good windburn on, or I'd appear to be blushing...

D,

Glad you made the trip to Hoth. Good to put another face, personality, boot/binding configuration and spatter pattern with a user name.

C'mon back and I'll set you up with a fresh Taunton.

Thanks for making the effort on snow, and adding to the data stream.

Presumably the rest of your maple-flavored Odyssey went well? Speaking of which, your son has a pretty good eye for what's what.

Ken, sorry about the lack of recall. While I know we've been on the same trail before, I don't think I've previously had the pleasure of your acquaintance. Good thing you've got a T32 tramp stamp on your forehead.

I'll have the firewood mill in full swing by the start of May if you want to stop in.

Edited by Beckmann AG