Note to New Members ×

Chris Klug vs...............YOU!

patmoore

Just got word that Chris Klug, 2002 Olympic Bronze Medalist in PGS, will be pacesetting the Snowboard venue at the NASTAR Nationals in Snowmass March 22-24. He will join ski pacesetters Ted Ligety, Julia Mancuso, AJ Kitt, Heidi Voelker and others.

It's been cool in the past to see stars like Ligety rip it up running his skis on the snowboard course but I'm really looking forward to seeing how we do against Chris.

How to qualify? Check out this link. This is the last weekend to qualify. Visit your nearest NASTAR course. If you're in New England stop by Okemo. This Saturday there is a private ski club race from 10 - 12 but the course will be open in the afternoon. I'll set one course with stubbies. On Sunday, another small club has reserved the course at 10 but there are only 20 racers and they'll be done quick. I'll set stubbies that day as well.

Hope you can join me at Snowmass!

Pat Moore

NASTAR Coordinator and Pacesetter

Okemo Mountain

Ludlow, VT

The ski club originally planning on racing Sunday morning (2/17) canceled so I'll have stubbies set from 10 - 2. You can make unlimited runs for $12.

Just heard from Chris. He may have a scheduling conflict but really wants to join us and will make every effort to be there.

Edited by patmoore

Pat,

That's great news. Chris Klug showing up to paceset, and the introduction of snowboard gates at the Nationals, are signs that NASTAR might be giving snowboarders a little love. I won't make it to Nationals this year, but I'd like to get out to Okemo before the snow is all gone and throw down with you and some of the middle aged hardbooters out there. Problem is, I'm committed this weekend. Are you going to be packing it in with NASTAR after that?

Also, I'm glad I can still find this:

http://www.nastar.com/articles/race-of-champions-video-non-alpine-male

It's some of the top snowboard racers from their age groups at the 2010 Nationals - you're in it near the beginning. Very instructive for a rider at my level. Can you put some of the snowboarding from 2011 and 2012 up? Are they up? I can't find them. All I can find are the lame "TV" promos.

Hi Darko714,

NASTAR has used snowboard gates for the Fri/Sat competition for several years at the Nationals and added them last year for the Race of Champions. If I can find more recent video I'll share it.

Okemo is holding the Connecticut Ski Council Winter Carnival this weekend so there will be limited, if any, NASTAR on Saturday but I should be free to run normal operations on Sunday. I will set stubbies on one course.

For the weekends of March 9-10 and 16-17 I should be setting one course with stubbies both days. There is one small ski club doing a club race on one of those days but I can get them to make both runs on the course with the ski gates.

After that I'll be in Snowmass for the Nationals!

unrelated: The Connecticut Senior Games were held yesterday at Ski Sundown in New Hartford, CT. In my age group I won the Downhill and GS. My second run in the GS I found some speed I didn't know I had and wound up fourth overall out of fifty racers. After a hundred runs had been made on the GS course I hopped on my Volkl RennTiger GS for one more run (I was the only snowboarder). The ruts were a little gnarly but it was fun. Channel 3 did a short piece on the event.

http://youtu.be/rsLnc2hu44Q

Pat,

It's some of the top snowboard racers from their age groups at the 2010 Nationals - you're in it near the beginning. Very instructive for a rider at my level. Can you put some of the snowboarding from 2011 and 2012 up?

All I could find was a very poor run by me. It was run on Winter Park's Lower Hughes - Skier's Left and had a pronounced sideways pitch (scroll down to see view from top) plus a very tight vertical offset. My 178 SG board was too much for me to handle and I was late at pretty much every gate.

http://youtu.be/aS_e8bSQcz8

rteu6a.jpg

Just discovered that NASTAR won't be running next weekend (March 9-10) as Okemo will be using that trail for a Rail Jam competition. We'll be back open again the following weekend which is the last before the Nationals.

Looks like the 30-34 age category for snowboarders is going to be a good showdown. It looks like Christopher Sherman is going to nationals and we are almost tied in the national rankings.

Van Skyhawk handicap = 33.91

Sherman handicap = 34.00

See you at nationals Chris!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Snowmass. All I can say is WOW! What a blast!

Here's Chris' comments: Thank you Pat. I loved doing it. Thank you for including me. It was a fun event. I was proud to host you in my hometown. We will make it even better next year. Thank you again for the picture of my family; it's so cool. Thanks for sharing the photo. Love to see the group shot we took. Happy springtime Pat. Stay in touch. CK He followed that up with: Looking forward to next year already. Going to be bigger and better than ever! CK

Chris is one of the friendliest guys I've ever met and made everyone feel welcome.

It was the best venue of the nine Nationals I had attended. Snowboard gates were set for all three days of racing including the Race of Champions which was held on the steepest track I've ever raced on. FUN!

Chris is looking forward to coming back next year. Plan on joining us.

So, did anyone come close to his time?

His times were 24.15 on Friday and 23.13 on Saturday.

For the rest of us, the fastest time was 27.51 on Friday and 25.56 on Saturday. CK hasn't lost any skill. It sure was an eye opener to watch him.

That's a lot of time on a sub-30 second course.

No question about it. But it was a real thrill for a 66 year old to run the same course as an Olympic medalist. He could not have been more gracious and encouraging to us wannabees.

I suspect his presence next year will attract more riders. It was the highlight of a very fun week in Snowmass for me.

His times were 24.15 on Friday and 23.13 on Saturday.

For the rest of us, the fastest time was 27.51 on Friday and 25.56 on Saturday. CK hasn't lost any skill. It sure was an eye opener to watch him.

Friday's best 13.91% over a Chris Klug par.

Saturday's best 10.50% over Chris Klug par.

Cross checking the NASTAR National Champs results site and doing a little math

M Hogan (M50-54) & D Brook(M40-44) shared the fastest Friday handicap at 23.09 over par.

D Brook fastest Sat handicap at 22.06 over par.

Working out the par time they would appear to have been rated against and then comparing it with Chris Klug's times we get

CK Friday: 8.05 over par

CK Saturday: 10.45 over par

On that basis it would appear the 10% handicap allowance that snowboarders get is about right for NASTAR competition.

Pat, if you have more accurate information I'd be glad to see it posted.

SunSurfer