Note to New Members ×

Chris Klug vs...............YOU!

patmoore

Working out the par time they would appear to have been rated against and then comparing it with Chris Klug's times we get

CK Friday: 8.05 over par

CK Saturday: 10.45 over par

On that basis it would appear the 10% handicap allowance that snowboarders get is about right for NASTAR competition.

Maybe Pat has done this too, but the NASTAR guys at my hill wanted to see (as did I) how accurate the 10 point handicap was so we designed a little non-scientific experiment. I grew up skiing since snowboarding wasn't really around in the 70's, and although I spend the majority of my time on the board I still ski and mostly remember how to race on my skis. On several different days last year I took both skis and board to the hill. I would do 5-6 runs on one and then 5-6 runs on the other. Some days skiing first, some days boarding first. I am a Gold/Platinum skier and also Gold/Platinum on the board so my relative skill on either is about the same. We found that the 10 points was very close to the difference between the handicapped times for me. This was all on skier gates and I'd be interested to see if that difference narrowed up some on SB gates. Maybe Pat can do this next year on a more regular basis and get more data points. Also, as a researcher at a university I know that this is nowhere near scientific, but it was interesting.

NASTAR has all non alpine skiers in the same Race of Champions.

Includes telemark, mono, handicap, snowboarders... the gentleman on the top of the podium is without his right leg.

You can do both and if there was an award for that Pat Moore would be in the running!

Do you still have to pay double registration to run both skis and board?
The charge for the second registration is reduced to $100. The amazing Dick Cole medaled in both skiing and boarding. This May he turns 79! And he rides a hardboot board. I want to be just like him when I grow up.

An argument could be made for bumping the adjustment factor to something like 15. The difference between ski and snowboard gates can really impact performance. I watched CK running my ski course at Snowmass. He was pretty aggressive on heelside turns but gave the gates a wide berth on toeside. When he ran the snowboard gates, he really crushed it.

Example...

Chris has to give these things a pretty wide berth although he got as close as could in this shot.

53k9b5.jpg

On skis, you're less likely to get your teeth knocked out. This is me on a practice run.

s3hbbl.jpg

Edited by patmoore